Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Seeing Iva not even able to be half the player she once was saddens me. Iva was one of my favorite players. When she won the FO I really felt she was worthy of that GS, but because of her career in total- some might now see that as a fluke. She's already known as a "One Slam Wonder". How do you go from #4 in the world to out of the top 100, sad indeed.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
i could see them doing it but i'm not necessarily expecting them to.

TS makes a good point, iva has done it before and at her age she may just rather retire.

daja needs to imo but i'm not sure whether she will play challengers or not. sshe is just yet another of the young players that is slumping badly this year. dokic, hantuchova, daniilidou, bovina, muller, irvin.

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
Iva, I doubt it

Daja, I think will do, if she seriously wants to get back up there.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Monsters said:
just wondering,
Iva is down to #111, tho as a slam winner,
she is garanteed a lot of WC's
As a former Slam winner she is eligible for unlimited WC's but that as far as it goes, she is only eligible. It all depends on the tournament directors now, if they want to give her one or not. Some how I doubt it is going to be too many of them who will give her one though.

·
Registered
26,637 Posts
ajayares said:
As a former Slam winner she is eligible for unlimited WC's but that as far as it goes, she is only eligible. It all depends on the tournament directors now, if they want to give her one or not. Some how I doubt it is going to be too many of them who will give her one though.
Anna wonder what 4 players they would rather give Gold WC's to. :confused: :p

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
JollyRoger said:
Anna wonder what 4 players they would rather give Gold WC's to. :confused: :p
You don't have to be on the Gold exempt list as a former GS winner, to get unlimited WC's.

The Gold Exempt list isn't there for the sole purpose of receiving unlimited WC's. (But for some other players, you know who I am talking about, it is very important) It is more to do with receiving bonus money, if a player on the list completes it obligations and that all depends on where they are listed on that list (1-20) In terms of there scheduled events they have to play and whether or not they play them. The top players listed on the GE list normally have to play an event that they haven't played in the last 2 seasons (that is one requirement), Plus you get to enters tournaments later than other players have to. Anyway just go and read the rules, it is all outlined in the rule book, the requirements.

BTW Mary Pierce doesn't have to be on the GE list either, for unlimited WC's, but you do not automatically get WC's, you are just eligible for them.

·
Martina&Roger <3
7,425 Posts
Yep Daja should play challengers... she sucks now... :sad:

·
Registered
958 Posts
I watched Daja in Birmingham this year against Maria Vento, she played well, but the confidence was gone, challengers will probably be the best thing that could happen to her right now! :)

As for Iva, sad though it may be, i think retirement could be an option, although i hope it isnt! :mad:

·
Registered
12,908 Posts
Iva I dont think so. I already heard that shes lost her motivation, she probably couldnt win any challengers if she played them the way shes going. I wouldnt be surprised if she retired early, though i hope not.

As for Daja, she'd better play them! She cant even get into qualifying for most WTA tourneys anyway, so she has no choice. I think it would be good for her confidence, her ability is still there so i think she could win some challengers if she played them. I look at her ranking now and its ridiculous, i think she could beat at least half those players ranked ahead of her.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Playing Challengers is worthwhile for ANY struggling player, be it Daja Bedanova, Anna Kournikova or Iva Majoli. Of course, if those players, and players of their ilk, choose to obtain wildcards and play in the main draws of WTA Tour events, then all the luck in the world to them. It's good computer points if you can earn them.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I think Daja should head straight to the challengers. Heck, if Laura Granville and Frazier do (This week), why not her. She is actually struggling, they really aren't.

As for Iva, I have no comment. She needs to ask Jenny for some modivation...

·
Banned
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
3 weeks from now, Bratislava, her first title win,
will be starting, hopefully i'll be seeing her there,
if she's not there.....i'm not sure
she will be even thinking about playing challengers,
she is 20, for goodness sake........
what, is she gonna retire or something?:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.