Tennis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so who are they?

Just looking at some of the players (especially the taller ones), it seems they haven't really bulked when it could help them. Some muscle on their legs would mean they could power their way back into a rally instead of being hampered by their movement but they haven't added muscle.

I find some of the glamour girls aren't much bigger then they were when they were 15/16, and most of them are meant to be hard hitters but aren't the hardest because they didn't add muscle to their arms.

If you look at Serena off court it is easy to see she is an athlete, she is muscled and has definition in her arms, but some of the other girls have thinner arms with little or no definition. I'm not say every player has to have arms or muscles like Serena, or that muscle will solve every problem, but it does sometimes look like some of the girls aren't bulking up as much as they should, and these tend to be the girls after modelling contracts.

·
Banned
4,328 Posts
serena is naturally muscular if you look at her pictures when she was fifteen she was already buff .the only young player with really lucrative modelling deals is pova the rest get a picture taken here and there by little known sleazy magazines.
the players who have made money are few the rest are marginally successfully.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I've always wondered why Hantuchova wouldnt hit the gym and build some more arm muscle. It looks like her arms are toothpicks. I dont know though, maybe she thinks her game doesn't need more power?

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Their "careers" are usually cut short due to injury after injury after injury after photoshoot after tv appearence after injury..you get the picture :p

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
That's a tough one to answer. How many players actually HAVE modelling contracts? Relatively few.

There might be one or two who avoid adding muscle to keep a modeling contract, but most advertising contracts for athletes are based more than naything else one thing.

Tournament wins.

A Hantuchova, par example, would make for more is accilary revenue by muscling up and winning more than she does by staying ultra-slender, and winning one tournament every five years.

OTOH, adding muscle to the extent that it's visible is not as easy for women as men. Justine Henin is a rail. But she's also a workout fiend. In fact, who, outside of pre-back injury Mauresmo, actually has ever had big muscle mass on tour. Even Serena, as toned as she is, doesn't have massive muscles.

·
Banned
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Their "careers" are usually cut short due to injury after injury after injury after photoshoot after tv appearence after injury..you get the picture :p
That's what I think, this is the 2nd year in a row Maria Sharapova has had to sit out the clay court season because of injury. She has been stuggling all year which makes me wonder what she actually did during the off season.

That's a tough one to answer. How many players actually HAVE modelling contracts? Relatively few.

There might be one or two who avoid adding muscle to keep a modeling contract, but most advertising contracts for athletes are based more than naything else one thing.

Tournament wins.

A Hantuchova, par example, would make for more is accilary revenue by muscling up and winning more than she does by staying ultra-slender, and winning one tournament every five years.

OTOH, adding muscle to the extent that it's visible is not as easy for women as men. Justine Henin is a rail. But she's also a workout fiend. In fact, who, outside of pre-back injury Mauresmo, actually has ever had big muscle mass on tour. Even Serena, as toned as she is, doesn't have massive muscles.
That is a very good point, what I find amusing is someone like Justine is rail thin but she doesn't rely soley on power to win her a match so adding muscle isn't her biggest concern. It's these "power" players who are puzzling me because they should have been working on adding muscle to their arms for more power and for the taller girls to their legs to aid their movement on court. John McEnroe said during the 2004 wimbledon final that Sharapova will probably put some more muscle onto her legs to help herself power her back into a rally...he said that way she would totally improve her game. I have seen little progess in that department, she has kept her slender legs.

It's not just Maria there are others like Nicole Vaidisova, it seems as though these girls break through as young teenagers, with obviously a lot of work still needed to their games and thier bodies, but as they are being recognised more they get modelling contracts and then they seem less concerned with building themselves up.

·
Registered
152,750 Posts
:scratch: Just how many players do you think have modelling contracts?

·
Registered
25,074 Posts
I've always maintainted that this is the main reason A. Kournikova didn't do better on the tour. I don't think she was interested in getting muscle tone.

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
Everything's a trade off. Lena D. bulked up a few years ago but felt like it hurt her speed and flexibility, so she dropped some weight (she's still pretty ripped, though). Myskina (though you never really know from what she says) claims she has tried to bulk up in the past and it's hard for her to gain weight and she felt like she had the same trade off on speed. Bulk can also impact things like endurance and injuries.

Serena definitely loses a step or eight when she gets too bulky. My guess would be that more players are worried about their speed, flexibility and stamina than modeling contracts. Of greater concern to me are players who might have eating disorders because that's a serious health concern that may or may not have a connection to their tennis.

Reactions: Demosthenes

·
Banned
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've always maintainted that this is the main reason A. Kournikova didn't do better on the tour. I don't think she was interested in getting muscle tone.
Totally and they are leaving themselves open for career threatening injuries. I wouldn't be surprised if more of the glamour girls are retiring very young because they'll get more injuries and then as tennis becomes more of a struggle, photoshoots and endorsements become more tempting.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Are there some players who won't bulk up so they can keep their modelling contracts?

Kirilenko anybody

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
"bulking up" dosn't necessarily lead to better tennis. Getting STRONGER might. The two don't necessarily go hand in hand. eg, at a certain point Henin got stronger but didn't "bulk up."

·
Banned
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"bulking up" dosn't necessarily lead to better tennis. Getting STRONGER might. The two don't necessarily go hand in hand. eg, at a certain point Henin got stronger but didn't "bulk up."
I totally agree but I also think that taller players like Sharapova and Vaidisova should really have added some muscle to their legs. Serena has powerful and muscular legs, it is very hard for a player to put a ball away against her because she can use the immense power and muscle in her legs to turn easier in a rally. Maria and Nicole aren't slow but their long thin legs won't turn quick enough during rallies and therefore a player like Serena can easily move them around and then put the ball away.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Kirilenko anybody
I don't think so, of pictures I see of her she looks quite buff and almost kinda ripped. She is naturally a girl with a slight build which gives the impression she may be more devoted to Stella McCartney than the courts, but it is not true.

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
I disagree. Henin 2004 was defintiely bigger than Henin 2001. It's more what you mean by 'bulk up'. A 130 lb player adding ten pounds of muscle to her arms and shoulders will not look 'bulky'.

Check out Sharapova circa 2004 vs 2006. Bigger shoulders, bigger arms./ Not a LOT bigger, but bigger. Also working on your legs isn't as obvious as arms. The player who stands out as needing more literal 'bulk' is Hantuchova. BUt of course, that's because she's a former top five player.

But the real issue is, how many players have modeling contracts? It's just not that many.

·
Banned
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Players with Modelling Portfollios are:

Daniela Hantuchova
Maria Sharapova
Nicole Vaidisova
Venus Williams

But although these are the only one's with a portfollio other players also want to get enodrsements and such, and they know that the best way to get endorsed is to look good. Kirilenko is on a 6 match losing streak and yet she still endorses Stella MacCartney

·
Registered
152,750 Posts
Are there some players who won't bulk up so they can keep their modelling contracts?

Players with Modelling Portfollios are:

Daniela Hantuchova
Maria Sharapova
Nicole Vaidisova
Venus Williams

But although these are the only one's with a portfollio other players also want to get enodrsements and such, and they know that the best way to get endorsed is to look good. Kirilenko is on a 6 match losing streak and yet she still endorses Stella MacCartney
Endorsements doesn't = modelling contract. ;) Kirilenko still endorses Stella coz of a thing called a CONTRACT. ;) When she sgned on with Stella she was actually winning matches. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts