Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we know there is bunch of servebots who made pretty nice careers relying mostly on their serves like Raonic, Isner or Anderson (recently, i dont want to go back to Sampras era) and there are few new upcoming servebots like Medvedev, Kyrgios or Hurkacz who are going to do well or already doing well.

But question is: are there any real servebots in WTA? Only one coming to my mind is Osaka who without her serve wouldnt win even 500s event.

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
I don't think there are any true servebots like you see in the ATP.

I guess you could say the younger Pliskovas, although Karolina has developed her whole game more as she progressed up the rankings...

Naomi Broady was doing it for a short while with some success (back in 2014-2017) and you could see a big difference between the serve and the rest of her game 😅 . Back in her heyday, she would literally ace her way out of BPs. There's also Georgina Garcia Perez, but she's kind of stagnated.

I think in general though, girls over 6 feet tall (who would more likely be servebots) struggle to make it on tour. So you don't really see it.

·
Registered
26,023 Posts
Rebecca Marino on fast courts and when she put her first serve in?

But there arent any true servebots like the ones we see in the ATP.

·
Registered
115,248 Posts
There are no Isner types. Very few players have a good serve in WTA. Serena is not the player she used to be. Her serve was great.
Osaka can hold under pressure, but nobody is living off their serve. Not Pliskova in 2021

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
Venus, Azarenka, Sharapova, Pliskova, Sabalenka, Kvitova, Muguruza, Davenport, Safina, Ivanovic and more are all 6 feet or taller. Not sure what you're saying.
Ok, most of them are 6 feet.. I'm talking like Broady (6'2) or Garcia Perez (6'1)

Yes, you have Sharapova at 6'2 and Venus and Davenport at 6'1 but they exceptions that prove the rule.. The majority of players are 6 foot or below.. The ideal height to be a female tennis player has a limit it seems.

Venus should be more appreciated because I don't know any girls her height who are that athletic and had her kind of movement at her peak, and heck even after her peak.

Also, the heights of the serve bots in the ATP are going up to like 6'10 or 6'11... On the other hand, don't really know of any female tennis players over 6'2 with notable success (I'm sure there must be some, but it's not very common at all).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Chloe Pacquets best weapon is her serve. But overall the lack of isner types is the thing that draws me to the Wta over the atp. Isner essentially doesn't know how to play 99 percent of tennis at a top 100 level.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Karolina Pliskova, Julia Georges are serve bots.
Yes they have hard hitting ground games aswell but you can say that about ATP serve bots too like Raonic, Isner, Anderson, Querry

·
EXPRESS YOURSELF
8,086 Posts
At the top of the game there isn’t anyone with a massive gulf between their serve and ground game. Unlike the atp, women have yet to reach the 230km/h mark, so there’s good servers but you can’t be successful on the wta without a ground game. Imo for the better, I would watch wta over servebots any day

·
32,481 Posts
Broady definately was a great example of a servebot.

In a way i would say Babos at her peak in singles was a servebot too.

Vandeweghe would be the closest thing to a servebot from former top girls, and (please dont lynch me) Lisicki, both were very dependent on their serve quality to win matches

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
if u mean players who have 1-2 punch game style and not having any other game plan than this,
Pliskovas, Georgina Garcia Perez, Dodin and Naomi Broady, Alexandrova to certain extent.

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
Back in the early and mid-'90s it was Brenda Schultz-McCarthy. Absolutely horrendous from the baseline, average volleys, easily the best serve in women's tennis at the time. That shot alone brought her into the Top 10 for singles and doubles.

196 km/h with 1990s racquets is quite amazing! I can only imagine how fast she’d serve with today’s racquets.

·
63,615 Posts
196 km/h with 1990s racquets is quite amazing! I can only imagine how fast she’d serve with today’s racquets.
She broke Venus's fastest serve in her comeback about 8 years ago or so in Cincinnati, but the WTA doesn't recognise it because it was a qualifying round. 🤣

·
Registered
17,772 Posts
Broady was probably the WTA's biggest servebot.

Lol @ the OP mentioning Osaka. Her groundstrokes (off both wings) are one of the best on tour so no idea what you are saying... And her serve has actually declined from her earlier days.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts