Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides me.... :wavey: I like most of the guys. I see a lot of people from other countries are very patriotic for all their upcoming talents... so ANY Americans like that towards the young guns?!

I found this funny story about some fan account of a practice session with Mardy Fish and Robby Ginepri--about Robby having to sing "I'm a Little Teapot" and do the dance, but I didn't know if I should post it or not because the young Americans don't seem to have a vocal fanbase here.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Patrick McEnroe will be your man :eek:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Judging by all the comments here, it would seem that most people aren't fans of the young Americans because the young Americans divert so much North American TV coverage onto themselves to the exclusion of players from other countries. Personally, I like some, not others.

Ginepri was very impressive at Indian Wells and Miami, even though Safin was ill he still played a blinder and almost beat Moya in Miami. Dent is fun value for the expressions and the serve, and I still have a high regard for him when I remember that incredible match he had with Hewitt at Wimby in 2001. Fish is arrogant and petulant, only good value when he beats Moya unexpectedly and pisses off everyone on here. And until Blake and Roddick gain decent backhands and a little more tactical sense, their tennis is never going to appeal to me.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why is Fish arrogant?!

I kinda notice by the comments here that they don't have A LOT of fans, lol, but have they NONE?! Haha!!

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I like Blake and Ginepri. I loath Fish and Roddick for their arrogant, childish and mean behavior. I'm indifferent to Dent, but I'm not a huge fan of big servers.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Fish has more than one case of temper tantrums.. One involving someone seating on a high chair... :eek:

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, yeah, I remember now, I can think of one of his incidents!

You know, Fernie, Guga threw his racket once towards the chair ump and had to pay a fine. LOL! Okay, it was an accident though

...Well, that's nice to see people like Ginepri, because he's soooooooooooo wonderful!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Fish oozes arrogance. I don't know why, maybe you should ask him. :p

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Come to think of it, I probably threw in the word arrogant as a comment on his general demeanour on court. He's not arrogant as such, but I do get rather worried when I hear about how he's threatened umpires and apparently got into a locker-room brawl with Julien Varlet in Memphis this year (it was an Americo-French thing, I gather). When he played World Team Cup doubles with Blake against the Czechs, he seemed more concerned with disputing every line call at great length than with playing the match.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
It was no accident, although he insists in saying so. He lost his head. It was in Roland Garros, 1998, so he was the defending champion. Losing to the then-completely-unknown Safin in the second round, Guga was also in trouble playing doubles with Fernando Meligeni. A bad call made them lose serve, and Guga threw his racquet in the direction of the chair umpire, who happened to be Bruno Rebeau (sp?). he was fined and both him and Fernando were disqualified. :p

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hendouble said:
Come to think of it, I probably threw in the word arrogant as a comment on his general demeanour on court. He's not arrogant as such, but I do get rather worried when I hear about how he's threatened umpires and apparently got into a locker-room brawl with Julien Varlet in Memphis this year (it was an Americo-French thing, I gather). When he played World Team Cup doubles with Blake against the Czechs, he seemed more concerned with disputing every line call at great length than with playing the match.
Mmm hmmm, I see!

Layla, I would love to talk to any of them. Hopefully Fish will make like Andy and come to Washington DC this August, and if he gives me a mean look, I will hate him. LOL!

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hitman said:
It was no accident, although he insists in saying so. He lost his head. It was in Roland Garros, 1998, so he was the defending champion. Losing to the then-completely-unknown Safin in the second round, Guga was also in trouble playing doubles with Fernando Meligeni. A bad call made them lose serve, and Guga threw his racquet in the direction of the chair umpire, who happened to be Bruno Rebeau (sp?). he was fined and both him and Fernando were disqualified. :p
Bad Guga, Bad!!!!!!! I taught him a lesson that day...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
He learned it quite well it seems. ;)

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Hitman :kiss: my kinda poster -- can admit the truth about his player and still love him. yeah i remember that match and Guga's total frustration. there was another incident in Cincinatti a few years ago when Guga was playing against My Darling Gianluca Pozzi. Pozzi was giving Guga a really hard time -- he was slicing and dicing him into frustration. you could tell that Guga wanted to kill him. plus the weather was hot, no i am HOT, and Guga was suffering. he threw a mini-tantrum over a bad call and got a warning. he continued to carry on and lost the point. then, luckily for him, it started to rain. the match got suspended. then it started to pour. the match was called off. Guga came back next day and spanked My Darling right off the court, but since it was Guga i didn't mind. ;)

oh yeah, the point of the thread was the young Americans :eek: well i happen to adore James Blake. and i started being impressed with Brian Valhaly when he gave Andre fits in Australia earlier this year. and then he won a set off the Potato today. my kinda guy...;)

i don't like either Dickhead or Denthead. i would consider it a Head allergy except for the fact that i adore DoubleHead :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: go figure...:eek:

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I like James Blake. He thinks on court, doesn't just bang away. The interesting thing with him will be: will he get tough when he needs to, in title matches or latter rounds of Grand Slams? He has the heart, but does he have the will?

The rest of the Americans I could do without. I explained my dislike of Roddick in the thread that was moved down here from GM about his loss today. Fish is arrogant, Dent is a doofus, I haven't seen anything of Vahaly. Morrison has faded into oblivion, along with Michael Russell. And the only thing I can do with I think of Robby Ginepri is laugh with those memories of his double bagel at TMS Cincy last year. Whew, that was a classic! :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
I like James Blake.. how can anyone not like him I'll never understand.. he's a really great guy.. not cocky like some of them and very down to earth.. his game ain't half bad either.. just needs some more self - belief.. :devil: I also like Robbie Ginepri.. he is really a sweetheart (and pretty hot in person!). I was at the Cincy bagel match last year and I really felt sorry for him.. noone was even cheering for him b/c they didn't know who he was (stupid Americans) :rolleyes: I love me some Llegs, and I was cheering for him to win, but he could have been a bit nicer to Robbie! lol.. I don't care too much for Dent, or Mardy to be honest.. I'd be happy if James and Robbie had decent careers though.. and Robbie did show some promise a couple of months ago.. he kicked Blake's butt in Miami (saw that one live too!) :devil: and beat some good players along the way. Also, a friend of mine recently spoke to him about that bagel match (and informed him of his unflattering nickname) and he told her he was REALLY nervous that day playing Hewitt on center court and in front of all those people on tv for the first time, and he just froze.. poor guy.. I can't blame him, I prolly would have frozen too! And of course Llegs was fresh off his big argument with the ATP so he was already pissed and took it out on poor Robbie! lol..

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Nwando, I think they are good guys and good players. But none of them have stepped forward to become elite players. Roddick has shown signs. But his inconsitency remains.

Blake is eminently likable! I just hope he can muster(not Thomas ;) ) up enough game to hang with Roddick in this years to come. Andy is clearly the head of the future American tennis class! :D But he needs to develope a backup plan.

Roddick is the only one of the young American tennis player who I see winning a grand slam title. But at this point that won't be anytime soon. :(

LOL at Hitman! That Patrick McEnroe quip was priceless! :D Pateick is the nicest guy! :)

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Blake seems like a very nice, sensible guy (props to him for college) and for some reason I like Dent. I don't know why, as I am generally not fond of big servers. I think it's because he's got a crooked smile. :p

But I digress. I'm ambivalent about Bagel Boy, but I utterly loathe Roddick.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Brian Vahaly is a cool guy!
He emails me sometimes for his game reports.
He's a hard-hitter!

James Blake is awesome too!

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
I think Mardy and Robby are MUCH more talented than dickhead. I've been a fan of theirs since their junior days.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts