Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Dubai Love
52,429 Posts
How do you know they aren't playing this year, so far they aren't playing 1 tie. And no, they aren't they have played Fed Cup before.

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
No. To put it simply.

They have played fed cup many times.

They love representing their country and both have said it many times.

Just look at them at Athens and Beijing.

·
Registered
40,091 Posts
Are the Williams Sisters considered Unpatriotic for not playing Fed Cup this year?
Are you trying to start something negative to sploil Serena's celebration?
They have palyed Fed Cup several times, they can take a break once in a while.

I remember Sampras, Agassi refusing the invitation to play Davis Cup, their patriotism was never questioned.
If I my recallection is correct, Sampras played Davis Cup only once.

The Williams sisters won 3 Olympic gold medals for the US in their career.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Why are they unpatriotic? Why should they go out and play Fed Cup for a country that does not fully support them?

What's UNpatriotic is the number of USA flags I see in posters profiles and the listing of "RODDICK, BLAKE, ISNER, QUERRY, MATTEK, HARKLEROAD, RAYMOND, YOUNG, CRAYBAS, AND EVERY OTHER OBSCURE AMERICAN PLAYER" as faves, yet no support for the sister. Yet they want them to go play Fed Cup because they are their only hope, PUHLEESE!!!!

Foxy

Reactions: Tech1

·
Dubai Love
52,429 Posts
No. To put it simply.

They have played fed cup many times.

They love representing their country and both have said it many times.

Just look at them at Athens and Beijing.
Sydney, not Athens:p
Are you trying to start something negative to sploi Serena's celebration?

I remember Sampras, Agassi refusing the invitation to play Fed Cup, they patriotism was never questioned. If I recalled, Sampras played Fed Cup only once.

Davis Cup;)

·
Registered
47,545 Posts
I hear ya, foxy..to represent what country?! The same countrymen booed Serena mercilessly at IW, sooo...cry them a river. So now that Lindsay is retired and there ain't any good american player left..all of sudden..please!

·
Gone with the Wind fabulous!
8,399 Posts
Fed Cup sucks hard. At this point in their careers, the Williams don't have time to waste on this garbage competition.

·
Registered
11,190 Posts
Were they considered unpatriotic when they won the Gold Medal in Beijing???

·
Registered
17,762 Posts
i guess people are running out of creative ways to smear them. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since they are the top 2 ranked American players I thought they may feel like they could help the USA win this year. Would they have played if the team hadn't changed captains?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Only at times like this do they seem to remember the Venus and Serena are Americans....when they win a Slam and when they want them to play in a competition representing their country. They are lucky Richard and Brandy raised those ladies right or else they would have said how they really feel in very colourful language already....especially that bigmouthwhoalwaysbacksupwhatshesaysrena. Loved how she made mention of the love she gets in Australia, unlike other places (I am sure including the great USA) in her victory speech today.

·
Dubai Love
52,429 Posts
Since they are the top 2 ranked American players I thought they may feel like they could help the USA win this year. Would they have played if the team hadn't changed captains?
Why do you keep saying this year? Do you know before anyone else they won't play the semis and final? USA is decently strong for the QF and will probably win.

·
74,Old,Dirty & Fast
4,059 Posts
Are you trying to start something negative to sploil Serena's celebration?

I remember Sampras, Agassi refusing the invitation to play Davis Cup, their patriotism was never questioned.
If I my recallection is correct, Sampras played Davis Cup only once.

When a minority exceeds, the HATERS come out in force. Never fails!:tape:

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I would like to think this is an honest question, but I can't help wondering if you have ulterior motives or are just naive. The history of Fed Cup from almost its very beginnings is filled more often than not with who did NOT play it vs. who played it. Serena-Venus have played it before, and they've skipped it before -- like all the great American players before them and all the great players representing other countries. Given that Zina Garrison rarely enticed the Williams to play during her captaincy, I don't think it much matters who is captain. By all accounts, Serena-Venus have a good relationship with Mary Jo Fernandez. In fact, Mary Jo said during the Australian Open that while she would have loved to have the Williams sisters play, she knew they were more concerned at this point about longevity and staying injury free. Serena-Venus have always struck me as endearingly patriotic, in fact maybe more so than many other players. So truly ask yourself this question partner, "Were you asking an honest question, or were you hoping to provoke criticism of the Williams and maybe more of the black-white crap that people love to throw on this board?" The answer -- and I don't need to know it -- will give you a lot more insight about yourself than you'll get understanding about this topic.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts