Tennis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Much was made yesterday about Sharapova travelling to the States at an early age with the obvious implication that if she had stayed put she would not have become a champion. I cannot remember any similar stories about Myskina following her Paris triumph so can anybody let me know the background of the other leading Russian players?

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
Sveta went to Sanchez-Casals in Barcelona. Sister Safina, Myskina, and Dementieva were groomed as juniors by Dinara's Mom (a "real coach" BTW) Raousa Islanova. Baby Blue Eyes (Lina K) trained in Russia. Nadya Now lives in Krakow, POL (and has a Dutch coach, Glen Schaap). I don't know Her "History" though (or that of "the Vera's" and "Kirilenkova"). Bovina Bolletieri Product Probably (as that's who longtime coach Joe Giuliani works for).

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
I'm not sure about the others, but Elena D is definitely the most 'Russian' that I know of. She has dedicated her life, tennis and training in Russia and built her career from there. :)

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Genuine question: Does "American" = "Bolletieri" for you guys?

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
Andy T said:
Genuine question: Does "American" = "Bolletieri" for you guys?
No. Sharky credits Lasnsdorp a great deal. He Worked With Myskina, too. The Evert Academy (founded by Chrissie's Dad, now run by her brother) is very well known. So is the Hopman Academy @ Saddlebrook. (See "Harkleroad, A") :eek:

Adidas sends kids To Their camp in Scottsdale, Arizona. They'll realize soon enough that director Rafael font du Mora (Meghann's ex-coach and ex-fiance) Is In way ova His Head in terms of WTA level play. (As ALG shows). :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts