Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jennifer and Justine play their QFs on a Thursday, presumably play each other on Friday and then the winner will play the final on Saturday!?!

· Registered
1,018 Posts
They are world class players who can win ONE MILLION DOLLARS... if they cant handle playing 3 days in a row then they shouldnt be playing tennis! Not saying its fair but thats the way it is and Im sure they wont think about it to much and when they have time to rest they will.

· Premium Member
172,297 Posts
QF for bottom half are scheduled for Wed

but its gonna rain Tues/Wed

Women have still got plenty of time

What is really bad is that they scheduled Myskina vs Pierce on 3rd today when they know its gonna rain.
if they can't finish it off, that means that Justine's QF can't be on Wed.

· Registered
1,301 Posts
TheBoiledEgg said:
QF for bottom half are scheduled for Wed

but its gonna rain Tues/Wed

Women have still got plenty of time

What is really bad is that they scheduled Myskina vs Pierce on 3rd today when they know its gonna rain.
if they can't finish it off, that means that Justine's QF can't be on Wed.
Same goes for Ai's match, and another factor there is she's still only in round 2 of the doubles, where they are expected to go far as well.
Even worse in my opinion :eek:

· Registered
6,102 Posts
Yep... I'm beginning to think I was only lucky to have three sunny days in a row in NY...
I like this new nick of yours, Lucy... that suits you perfectly, though I wonder whether she's actually aware of having a wife ;)

· Registered
937 Posts
They should complete the fourth round before starting any of the quarterfinals...if not, it gives (potentially) more rest to the players of the top half :mad: . But considering that Capriati is in the bottom half, I guess the USTA hasn't judged it to be a big advantage. :eek:

· Registered
2,570 Posts
They are used to playing 5-6 matches in 1 week. If they can't play 3 days in a row after a few days rest, they don't deserve to win.

· Registered
2,268 Posts
slydevil6142 said:
They are world class players who can win ONE MILLION DOLLARS... if they cant handle playing 3 days in a row then they shouldnt be playing tennis! Not saying its fair but thats the way it is and Im sure they wont think about it to much and when they have time to rest they will.
Nobody here said that they can't.
it's just not usual. And considering Myskina/Pierce win all her matches, and make it to the final (which won't happen cause Justine'll beat her), she'll be more tired than Clijsters, who is playing her quaterfinals the same day, they're playing their 4th round.
It's just a bit unfair

· Registered
7,943 Posts
justine&coria said:
Nobody here said that they can't.
it's just not usual. And considering Myskina/Pierce win all her matches, and make it to the final (which won't happen cause Justine'll beat her), she'll be more tired than Clijsters, who is playing her quaterfinals the same day, they're playing their 4th round.
It's just a bit unfair
The whole schedule is unfair, they seem to be giving a davenport QF priority over two uncompleted 4thround matches from the other half.

· Registered
7,880 Posts
kim&lleytonrule said:
The whole schedule is unfair, they seem to be giving a davenport QF priority over two uncompleted 4thround matches from the other half.
what exactly they mean to do I have no idea. One would think they would finish a match before starting one from the next round :confused:...but yeah, how many Americans want to watch Schiavone-Sugiyama and Pierce-Myskina--isn't that how the argument goes? :angel:

· Registered
9,222 Posts
RAA said:
they'll be fine...

here in philly, not far from NYCity, its overcast, but not raining...
Wait 5 minutes- here in Reading, which is closer to Philly- it's been drizzling on and off all day for 2-1/2 days now, and this front is not supposed to stop until Saturday, at which time the Hurricane effects off the coast of NJ will take over. We could be in for at least a week of rain, folks!

Hey- maybe if it lasts long enough, Venus and Serena can play! :lol:

· Registered
2,268 Posts
whiteplains said:
The winner gets ONE MILLION DOLLARS...no complaints...I would play four matches in a day if I had to...
Yeah, but for some players, tiredness will prevent them from winning those ONE MILLION DOLLARS.
And there are players who will be fitter than others.
At their place, I'm sure you would be very angry if you cannot defend your chances as other players !

· Registered
14,307 Posts
The US Open do not rigg the schedules for their counterparts. No scheduling is rigged and all is fair in the sport of tennis.

Players who are not as fit knew that there is a chance of rain at grandslams. That is their problem that they are not in better shape than Player A, B or C.

Gotta roll with the punches.

· Registered
851 Posts
And anyway, it's not like the rain just had to come during the US Open every single year. It's just unfortunate that this year has more rain than most other Open years. I'm sure the players can cope with the tight schedule for this time.

· Registered
1,050 Posts
We are about to see which players are fit enough to hoist the trophy and pocket a check of $1 Mill.
Seriously though, all players should be prepared to play three matches continuously or even two a day. It underscores why they should be fit.
Didn't Venus play 3 matches in 24 hours at the Pilot Pen a couple of years ago or something like that. I believe her opponents were Justine, Capriati and Lindsay. She went three sets with Justine, and handled the other two in straight sets. And if I remember correctly, both had thought they would have an advantage because they figured she would be tired.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.