Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
26,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm serious. Maria changes her grunts every 2nd point (to a totally different kind of grunt) but is sometimes mute as well.

Very strange. Most other grunting players are very consistent with it. Is it just a big show ??? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,741 Posts
GoDominique said:
I'm serious. Maria changes her grunts every 2nd point (to a totally different kind of grunt) but is sometimes mute as well.

Very strange. Most other grunting players are very consistent with it. Is it just a big show ??? :confused:
V and S are like this too. Bovina also. Seles is the only woman that I have heard consistently grunt on every shot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
Yep venus hardly ever grunts until she needs to- when she's being challanged- just to give her that bit more in edge...
Serena too- only grunts when she needs to and wants to asert her influnence over someone..
You know a williams is 100% committed to winning when they start grunting..
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
26,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
villa said:
Yep venus hardly ever grunts until she needs to- when she's being challanged- just to give her that bit more in edge...
Serena too- only grunts when she needs to and wants to asert her influnence over someone..
You know a williams is 100% committed to winning when they start grunting..
True - but WHEN they grunt they are consistent.

Maria, however ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
I'm watching her match against VRP and what I have decided is fake is...SHARAPOVA...she pumps her fucking fist after every point...she did it on the first point of the match...its just OBNOXIOUS...but besides that...she really is really aggressive and that bodes well for her future...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
She always pumps her fist- it helps just to keep your focus and determination by telling yourself to keep going etc- good mentality and boy i she playing well...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,220 Posts
It is a bit annoying, but I guess faking the grunts would just be wasting energy, so I don't think she does it on purpose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,514 Posts
What gg said. I mean, she grunted the same way every point at Wimby, then everyone made a big deal about it. I think now she is concious about it, and is trying to quiet it down.
 

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
Joined
·
5,857 Posts
Yes, the grunts/screams are fake. I have been told by a very reliable inside source that Maria wears a tiny but powerful loudspeaker device in her dress, which is controlled by her coach. The screams are a means of communicating with Maria and telling her when to be more aggressive.
 

·
Don't mess with Texas!
Joined
·
5,727 Posts
Seems to be bitting her bottom lip when she doesn't grunt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,732 Posts
they seem fake...but who knows?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
controlfreak said:
Yes, the grunts/screams are fake. I have been told by a very reliable inside source that Maria wears a tiny but powerful loudspeaker device in her dress, which is controlled by her coach. The screams are a means of communicating with Maria and telling her when to be more aggressive.

First, The grunts being fake part is so stupid it is ridiculous. Her agents are trying to get her to stop gruntin so bad. She is losing fans b/c of that grunt. If anyone says they don't like maria 9 out of 10 times it is b/c of the grunt. Next, the microphone in the dress part........ c'mon now lets use our heads. I would really like to know this reliable inside source that is giving you all this false info. ( Iam not attakcing you, Controllfreak, just your source ;) )

Good luck maria!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,358 Posts
GD, I think Maria will tone down the grunting in time. Her grunting has gotten quieter since her noisy first round match at Wimbledon against Ashley Harkleroad. And pumping her fist at 6-1 5-1 is a little much. But fortunately she is friends with Anastasia Myskina who trains with Maria in Los Angeles. And she's friends with Elena Demeniteva, too. She respects those 2 Russian girls and they will be a good influence on Maria. And in time her grunting won't be so loud and her fist pumping won't be so prevalent. Especailly at 6-1 5-1. But atleast Maria shows intensity when she plays unlike alot of her compatriots. And it shows in their sometimes lackluster play.
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top