Tennis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.si.com/vault/1997/04/14...ore-than-ever-on-banned-performance-enhancers

A scenario, from a 1995 poll of 198 sprinters, swimmers, powerlifters and other assorted athletes, most of them U.S. Olympians or aspiring Olympians: You are offered a banned performance-enhancing substance, with two guarantees: 1) You will not be caught. 2) You will win. Would you take the substance?

One hundred and ninety-five athletes said yes; three said no.

Scenario II: You are offered a banned performance-enhancing substance that comes with two guarantees: 1) You will not be caught. 2) You will win every competition you enter for the next five years, and then you will die from the side effects of the substance. Would you take it?

More than half the athletes said yes.
Good to see that morality has evolved so much in the last 25 years.

We are so lucky to be following a sport with the most moral and ethical sportspeople! Who even if the face of sketchy and unrigorous drug-testing practices, would still do the right thing. Can't imagine any tennis players trying to gain an unfair edge ever.

·
Banned
12,739 Posts
Survey should be conducted amongsts journeywomen languishing away in some obscure ITF wheat field.

·
Registered
29,828 Posts

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
I would like to see another poll.

First change: there is a chance of getting caught. Maybe 10% or 50%.
The second change: the penalty of being caught is either
- a slap on the wrist by WADA, but social shunning in your close circle, with all the previous accomplishments now a joke instead of a merit or
- the loss of income, a ban from competition, but! your teammates welcome you back

Give different sets of anonymous athletes the different sets of questions and see what they say.

This was inspired by thinking about Mika Myllylä and some other cases, not any tennis player. I somehow think there is a crucial difference between *own friends and teammates* disapproving and *foreign athletes and outsiders* disapproving.

Of course, and on the other hand, social shunning is problematic since anonymous social media crusades always go directly to the "she stole an apple! let's kill her dog and children!" mode.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
https://www.si.com/vault/1997/04/14...ore-than-ever-on-banned-performance-enhancers

A scenario, from a 1995 poll of 198 sprinters, swimmers, powerlifters and other assorted athletes, most of them U.S. Olympians or aspiring Olympians: You are offered a banned performance-enhancing substance, with two guarantees: 1) You will not be caught. 2) You will win. Would you take the substance?

One hundred and ninety-five athletes said yes; three said no.

Scenario II: You are offered a banned performance-enhancing substance that comes with two guarantees: 1) You will not be caught. 2) You will win every competition you enter for the next five years, and then you will die from the side effects of the substance. Would you take it?

More than half the athletes said yes.
Good to see that morality has evolved so much in the last 25 years.

We are so lucky to be following a sport with the most moral and ethical sportspeople! Who even if the face of sketchy and unrigorous drug-testing practices, would still do the right thing. Can't imagine any tennis players trying to gain an unfair edge ever.
wow.

·
Banned
446 Posts
They are fake and a good start for the associations would be to involve them in charity. I don't know how you can say they are moral. They are as normal as people nowadays, meaning immoral at everything. They are just sportsmen/sportswomen, and the WTA doesn't get involved too much in order to promote morality (same as our bloody politicians), therefore they aren't doctors or humanitarians. Or monks. In fact some are worse today than those of the past, media is showing you how to be a bad person.

Before the states were doping their sportsmen or the sportsmen had limited knowledges about doping, about taking banned sustances. But today they do that on purpose, from initiative. They are big cheaters. I think they are cheaters in front with WADA, I don't believe anything. I am just following sports, but I know everything is shady. Lance Armstrong wasn't discovered for a decade or more.

·
18,394 Posts
Unfortunately, some try to cheat the system and slip through the cracks. Thankfully several of them have been caught red-handed.

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
No. However, modern tennis fans are the most self-righteous.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts