Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lindsay has been among the most consistent players these last few years, finishing as no. 1 thrice. However, with her current injury and talks of surgery, she may not be no.1 anytime soo. When I think of a healthy Venus, Serena, Martina and Jennifer as well as Clijsters and Henin, and taking the closeness of the ranking points into consideration, is it fair to think she may possibly not regain her number 1 ranking for a very long time, maybe, never? I certainly hope she hadn't gone out this way. Its way too lousy to lose the top ranking!

·
Registered
910 Posts
As long as she is healthy again and wins more Grand Slams I don't care about the ranking.

I just want her to play!!!!

Also a lot of rugby League players here in Oz have the surgey on their cartilage (sp?) and they can still play fine, run fast etc. As long as it's not a joint. Some RL players even have it removed and they are fine to play.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, Lindsay doesn't have any major points to defend untill WImbledon - she didn't really do much during the clay season last year since she was injured.

So hypothetically, if she has a good clay season, and Venus or Jenn don't go on a massive win streak - could she not become number one around the FO?

Hypothetically of course.

I think its too soon to suggest that she is done though. Unless she decides to hang up her racquet, that is.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, Becca. I agree its too soon. I guess what I'm trying to get at is when she returns, wouldn't the other players be a little too far ahead for her to catch up? Assuming, of course they all play quite a full schedule.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Even if she doesn't play until Eastbourne she'll still have 2500 points or. Good for #9 right now.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Lindsay did plenty before Wimbledon last year, and has lots of points to defend early this year. She was a finalist in Sydney at the Adidas International. She was then a semifinalist at the Australian Open. And once that was finished, she went to Tokyo and won the Pan Pacific Open. She's going to lose a lot of points because of her injury.

But like Viva said, I don't care about the ranking! I just want her to get well and play again! I'm already missing those funny faces she makes on the court. :(

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
I think Lindsay's at the stage of her career where Slams are more important than being #1 - after all, she's been #1 before for decent lengths of time, and she was a worthy #1. It's probably more important to her to rack up the Slams.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
4,019 Posts
Lindsay can be no.1 till the end of this year, if she keeps playing like the last months of previous year!
She played at a very high level, and she can keep on doing that!
I wish her good luck

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
Assuming that Lindsay returns to full fitness she ought to be able to get back to no.1 if she so wishes - there are only a couple of players that can beat her out on the court and I don't see that changing in the imminent future.

·
Registered
113 Posts
so what are the possibilities of lindsay playing in aussieland? sorry I havent been checking things out recently due to exam pressures!!!
hope she plays, and goes far,

·
Registered
113 Posts
ok just read on thru some of the other threads, i CANT BELIEVE SHE IS OUT OF THE AUSSIE, this is sooooooo deperessing, I was really looking forward to c-ing her play but now I have to wait til wimbledon........ oh well, hope she recovers soon, surgeries gotta suck tho,

·
Registered
594 Posts
Her being out of the Aussie sure does make it easier for a lot of other players. If she had returned in the form she was in on the indoor circuit when she had no injury, she would have won it this year. Yeh its depressing, but it will still be exciting:p

I also think that this injury could be very niggling, and playing the hard courts of Miami etc. will not help it. Does this mean she will return on the clay? Who knows, but I bet she gets surgery because once that cartilage has deteriorated you are pooped. She'll be back though.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Catilage damage doesn't mean the end of your career. If that's the right message that you were sending from the word "poooped".

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
What the ???

This takes the cake. First I hear CNN Sport International announce
as a headline-

"Lindsay Davenport loses and she doesn't even
hit a ball"

What sort of negative- voodoo garbage is this?! I'm very upset. Look,
she's INJURED- not retired- not obnoxious like some other ego players-
not playing the Aussie Open 2002.

LD is not dead nor is on the verge of being dead.

Why all the dissing?

I've got alot of respect for LD and thank god she's got respect for
herself because unlike Anna or the Sisters nobody is going to
give her a "free" power puff ass kissing propaganda. LD worked
hard to get where she is- no there wasn't a piece on 60 minutes with
a family member boasting that "my girl will be a rich, champion- just
you see" nor was she the junior star ala Andy RoDICK.

In a way i'm glad she's not at the AO 2002 because with Hewitt being
number 1, roddick , Anna etc- it's def. going to be a very immature
grand slam this year.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Ummm Lleyton has the chicken pox so he wont be there either. Well probably not.

Stupid CNN.

and calm down. I didn't really see anyone here dissing Linds. Seems everyone is going to miss her.

Thanks for the comments guys. :)

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Right on.

Your right. Sorry;but I still can't get over how CNN gave LD such
an awful headline report. It was insulting considering how they
keep on doing Anna stories EVERYDAY this week.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Are Lindsay's days as no.1 numbered?

She's GONZO as of today...Jennifer is #1 after losing to Alexanda Stevenson....go figure????
Barmaid:bounce:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanx Viva! Jennifer losing today certainly puts a different light on the scheme of things. Here's to hoping Lindsay comes back soon.

·
Registered
309 Posts
barmaid -- We're talking about a player being injured and you're bouncing up and down. Your level of compassion leaves A LOT to be desired! :mad: Also, please allow me to point out to you, that if she keeps losing to low-ranking players like Alexandra Stevenson, JenCap will be GONZO from the #1 spot soon too! :(

·
Registered
594 Posts
Viva - I was not implying that cartilage damage was the end to a career - heavens no - just a blip that can be a big blip. She will recover though - don't worry.:angel:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts