Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
25,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She said this to a spanish newspaper... she wants to play doubles with Virginia Ruano :shout: do you think that a player who retired because was playing like shit, who hasn't played in a year and doesn't has ranking should play for Spain in Atenas? :cuckoo: :tape:

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
does spain have any other qualified doubles players outside R-P?

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Yes, she's been a credit to her sport.

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,492 Posts
considering last year Arantxa was still ranked in the top 10 in doubles, won 6 doubles titles last year along with numerous finals (including the Australian Open), I think that as long as she commits herself to doubles by making herself available in the ties and can prove that she is still near that level then I think she has would have a good chance with Vivi to do well :)

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
I personally think it would be great :eek: :bounce:

...but maybe i'm just a little biased ;)

but seriously considering all she's done for Spanish tennis, I think she should be given the chance to play if she wants to, she was playing excellent doubles up until she retired.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
but I think conchita had her biggest doubles succes with asv anyway

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
I doubt that's her reason why would she want to steal conchita's spot?

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Yeah, good luck Arantxa PARRA!! :)

:lol:

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I'm tempted to say it would be unfair, but I am sure that Arantxa would have to engage in doubles competition for months before the Olympics in order to be match fit.

If Arantxa is prepared to play doubles next year in the run up to the Olympics, why not? She's one of the best doubles players ever, has won more Olympic medals than any other player, and is more succcessful at representing her country than any other play. Try and put your personal hatred of ASV aside, and think about it. I'd say she'd be a fine addition to the team.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
OK, I am an Arantxa fan, so in principal I think it would be great for her to come back and play doubles at the Olympics, but, though I may be wrong, I believe someone told me Spain can only take 3 players to the Olympics, in which case, if Arantxa were to play, wouldn't that mean she would take a spot away from either Conchita, Magui or Vivi, all of whom who are current active players working hard to deserve their places? (I'm guessing since she says she wants to play with Vivi, it would be Magui who would lose her place seeing as how Conchita is both ranked higher and has achieved more).

I know Arantxa has done a lot for Spain both in Fed Cup and the Olympics, and I am a fan, but somehow, if that is the case, it just doesn't seem right to deprive one of the above players their place on the team when they are still current active players and Arantxa will have been retired for a year and a half.

·
Senior Member,
2,918 Posts
a difficult one. the natural choice would be Arantxa with Conchita, although this would be grossly unfair on VRP.

To be fair on VRP, and to keep chances high, and to respect Aranxta, it would be necessary to upset Conchita, who has always been a solid, if not great, doubles player.

Conchita and Magui will qualify and most likely play singles. Assuming it's played on Clay, both will have a decent chance of making the quarters or last-16, Conchita possibly having a chance at a medal in singles.

I would opt then, for VRP with ASV in doubles, and Conchita, Magui and Sanchez-Lorenzo in singles if that's allowed and they qualify. But only if they qualify. Arantxa should definitely have to play at least half a dozen events with her potential partner before then.

·
Senior Member,
2,918 Posts
If three go, then it should be Conchita, Magui and VRP, with VRP and Conchita playing the doubles together.

·
agradecería con alegría que me comierais la ñocla.
17,776 Posts
She might be one of the best doubles players but she's retired. That's the fact.

Also, she has no ranking, there are lots of good doubles players in the rankings and it would not be fair for them to be taken out of the team just because a retired player wanted to play doubles.

Also I think there's been already a list of players that have been chosen as eligible to be part of the team. I think that list can't be changed.

Also it would be a waste of players, since ASV wouldn't have enough doubles ranking to be a free-pair with Vivi, I mean, she would take one member of the team out.

I think the main reason for her to make those statements is that she doesn't want Conchita to be the carrier of the Spanish flag, so she's basically jealous... :rocker:

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,492 Posts
If they are only allowed 3 players, then I would agree and say Conchita, Magui, and Vivi should be the 3 chosen - If they are allowed 4, then as Jon pointed out, as long as Arantxa is prepared to be committed to working hard and training, and playing some competitive doubles matches leading up to the Olympics, she deserves to be on the team if she can then prove in those competitions that she is able to play at the standard necessary.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Perhaps they could settle it by having ASV play a few sets with the other women in various doubles combinations. Whoever plays best gets to go?

Or would that be too simple?

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Randy H said:
If they are only allowed 3 players, then I would agree and say Conchita, Magui, and Vivi should be the 3 chosen - If they are allowed 4, then as Jon pointed out, as long as Arantxa is prepared to be committed to working hard and training, and playing some competitive doubles matches leading up to the Olympics, she deserves to be on the team if she can then prove in those competitions that she is able to play at the standard necessary.
Yeah, if they are allowed 4 players, I would agree. If ASV could come back, play some doubles tournies and do well enough to be in with a realistic chance of doing well, then I see nothing wrong with she and Vivi playing together.
However, when I asked Gallofa way back in Wimbledon, if my memory serves me correctly she told me she thought Spain were only allowed three singles players and not a specific doubles team, (ie. they could take 3 players as singles players, then two of them could team up to enter the doubles as well). If that's the case then considering Conchita and Magui are top 30 singles players and Vivi is the number one doubles player, really, it would be unfair to leave one of them off the team, (esp. given the fact that this would probably be the last Olympics for Conchita and Vivi), when Conchita and Vivi would also stand a chance of a medal, given a good draw.

Does anyone know for sure how many players Spain can take?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
:lol:..do you really think she's coming out of retirement because she's bothered about Conchita carrying the flag?

As if a)playing would change that
b) its such a big deal. Only a fanatic on a tennis message board could possibly come up with something so preposterous.

Also, if Arantxa were to play half a year of doubles and get back into the top twenty, which shouldnt be too hard for her, this discussion would be moot.

by the way; I think the Olympics are due to be played on hard courts, although I could be wrong...

·
agradecería con alegría que me comierais la ñocla.
17,776 Posts
They sent three players to Sydney 00 (Conchita, Magui and "that thing"). and two of them (Conchita and "that thing") formed the doubles pair, so I think this time is gonna be the same

1 - 20 of 71 Posts