1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Banned
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From the BBC:
Appelmans backs Clijsters' claim
By Simon Austin

Former Belgian tennis star Sabine Appelmans has defended Kim Clijsters' credentials as the new world number one.

Clijsters replaced Serena Williams at the top of the rankings after beating Lindsay Davenport in the final of the JPMorgan Chase Open on Sunday.

The 20-year-old is the first number one never to have won a Grand Slam singles title, whereas Serena has claimed six, including this year's Australian Open and Wimbledon crowns.

Clijsters hopes to end her Grand Slam duck at the US Open

Indeed Serena, whose season has been severely disrupted by injury, has lost only three singles matches this year.

Yet Appelmans, a former top-20 ranked player who won a WTA doubles title with Clijsters before retiring in 2001, argues her compatriot deserves her place at the top.

"Kim is a very worthy number one player," said Appelmans, 31, who now works as a commentator on Belgian television.

Clijsters chases first Slam win

"She has played a lot of tournaments this year and has got to at least the semis in every one. She's also played many more tournaments than Serena.

"Technically, tactically and in terms of speed around the court, Kim is probably a better all-round player than Serena.

"Serena has the strength but I think Kim is the better player."

With Serena out of action because of a knee injury and her sister Venus lacking match fitness following an abdominal tear, Clijsters has an excellent opportunity to break her Grand Slam duck at the US Open.

"Winning a Grand Slam title is the next step for her [Clijsters]," admits Appelmans.

"And with Serena out and Venus lacking match practice, she has a great chance. She and Justine Henin-Hardenne will be the favourites for the title."
source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/3142375.stm

Btw, I am paraphrasing the quotes of the former *Belgian* player in the title, but that's what she seems to be saying. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
27,238 Posts
LOL this..former player.....takes a lot of digs at the W/S

Serena is just strength....its amazing how a "dumb" athlete can win almost everything over 2 talented all round players

i guess Applemans was the most talented player of her time too?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
:rolleyes: I'm no fan of Serena, but I am sick and tired of everyone saying she is all muscle and power and nothing else. I'm thinking that none of these former tour players have seen Serena play.

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
Well she´s a Belgian,at least she stands behind her girls,no?! Not like Pam and Mary Joe, et al....are bashing the sisters in favor of foreigners!!

Kim herself said that Venus and Serena are the best movers, speediest players on court. I´ll take her word anyday over a retired player!

·
Keeper of Secrets
9,040 Posts
"Technically, tactically and in terms of speed around the court, Kim is probably a better all-round player than Serena.

"Serena has the strength but I think Kim is the better player."

Does Appelmans even watch tennis...or is she too busy shooting her mouth off :rolleyes:

·
***** Emeritus
45,077 Posts
Plus Appelmans saw the rise of the Williams sisters as a player and she couldn't cope with their kind of play, so she's probably a little bitter ;)

I wouldn't take what Sabine says to serious though. Liked her as a player, but she's a terrible commentator...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Sweets_SJW said:
also its like me saying Tim Henmans better than Andre Agassi :lol:
Lol. Yeh thats true. I believe there is a big difference. If Clijsters is such a better player why the hell does she have a 7-1 loss record against serena? I'd like to e-mail this fool and find out what she's on.

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
Jen'sFan said:
Such ignorance. When Serena first game onto the scene i think she was just raw power. But now she has matured alot and has alot more variety in her game.
Word! That´s why she struggled with Capriati. She wanted to defeat Capriati with power....when she remembered how to play tennis again she didn´t have any more problems with Jen.

1 - 20 of 195 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.