Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What were your highlights and lowlights of this AO (pre final)?

Highlights

+ Top two seeds actually lived up to their seedings!!!
This will mean there is a dramatic finish, both with no.1 ranking and a maiden slam title on the line.

+ Fairytale runs for Hsieh and Mertens. Hsieh had only beaten 1 top 20 player prior, and added Garbine Muguruza to her scalp list, collected a win over Aga and pushed Kerber very hard, literally a game from winning.
Mertens solid throughout, including an upset over Svitolina but inexperienced to take on Wozniacki, but still fought.

+ Another story for Asian tennis, Kumkhum (THA) made R3 after dispatching of Bencic in R2, was very close to R4 appearance only stopped by Martic.

+ Strong performance by Lauren Davis to give Halep such a challenge, 15-13 set, one of the thrillers of the tournament, no doubt left an impact on Halep as well. Davis gave everything and hope to see this continue.

+ Very competitive top half SF. Both fighting till the very end, dramatic pts, MPs offered and saved.

+ Kerber adds to her form down under, even if just short of the final, there is confidence in her wins, including a clinical win over Sharapova.

Lowlights

- Very poor performance from Keys and Pliskova in their QF matches. Though their opponents were pretty dialled in.

- Disappointment for Australian girls, R3 being the furthest and for American girls (only Keys remained in R16)

- Mladenovic continues her slump with 15 losses in a row, yet remains in top 10.

- Bad tournament for Konta, Venus, Coco, Goerges and Muguruza.

- Svitolina was an absolute no show for her QF. 'QF is enough'

- Ostapenko's second serve is still a disaster.

- Disappointment for Kontaveit in R16 (vs CSN) from double break lead in second and serving for the match in the 3rd.

- Fett and Davis' match pts :lol:, what a big twist it would have served!

·
Registered
23,230 Posts
fett for sure. should've been fined as well.

·
Registered
114,477 Posts
Highlights: its almost over
1 - Kerber is back
2 - a very deserving player gets her first major

·
Registered
4,563 Posts

·
Premium Member
181,854 Posts
There are NO positives

only double negatives (don't say 2 negatives make a positive, but not in this case)

Reactions: BlueTrees

·
Registered
432 Posts
Lowlights

- Very poor performance from Keys and Pliskova in their QF matches. Though their opponents were pretty dialled in.

- Disappointment for Australian girls, R3 being the furthest and for American girls (only Keys remained in R16)

- Mladenovic continues her slump with 15 losses in a row, yet remains in top 10.

- Bad tournament for Konta, Venus, Coco, Goerges and Muguruza.

- Svitolina was an absolute no show for her QF. 'QF is enough'

- Ostapenko's second serve is still a disaster.

- Disappointment for Kontaveit in R16 (vs CSN) from double break lead in second and serving for the match in the 3rd.

Not to be petty but...I'm gonna be petty here for a sec: everything in bold is a highlight for me. 0:)

·
Registered
20,093 Posts
Lowlight...

the Final.

Reactions: TERRASTAR18

·
Registered
27,027 Posts
Plus: Kerber is back and in fine form. Maria is back and in 'fine' form :tears:
Minus: Wozniacki reaching yet another slam final without facing a single decent opponent on route.

·
Premium Member
4,714 Posts
+: It's been much better than the men's tournament

Reactions: Javi

·
Registered
27,027 Posts
+: It's been much better than the men's tournament
Uhm, not really. The story of this year's AO on both the men and women's side has been Chung. Let's see what happens tomorrow. Kerber-Halep might have won the contest for women in terms of drama and quality in a single match, but other than that there wasn't a single match that really can come close to the quality displayed by Chung throughout the tournament.

·
Premium Member
4,714 Posts
Uhm, not really. The story of this year's AO on both the men and women's side has been Chung. Let's see what happens tomorrow. Kerber-Halep might have won the contest for women in terms of drama and quality in a single match, but other than that there wasn't a single match that really can come close to the quality displayed by Chung throughout the tournament.
Chung's a great story for sure, possibly the story of the tournament, but I've been bored out of my skull with the men's draw. Nadal and Novak's injury woes, early losses by Wawrinka, Delpo and Zverev, the flopping by Thiem and Dimitrov, Tennys Sandgren's existence and Federer's ultimate cakewalk draw to the title have all dragged it down (and I like Roger). But that's just me.

·
Registered
398 Posts
+ Angie's incredible tournament
+ Final between the two top ranked players
+ everything about Elise Mertens
+ many close three-setters
+ smart play and variety beats hard hitting

- today's painful loss
- Makarova redefines the term choke
- Stosur's usual AUS drama
- Pavlyuchenkova apparently never happens
- US players' results

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I loved this tournament, it's early but I think it will be my favorite slam of the year :hearts:
+ brainless bashers getting exposed and ousted by better, smarter players-as they should be
+ Angie's run :inlove: what a great continuation to her resurgence this year
+ Simona's run :eek: :cheer: what a great strength she's shown
+ the Kerber/Halep sf
+ haters in cinders because of the final :banana:

- Pliskova useless except to servebot my girls out of the tournament :(

I'm sure all the haters would rather have a Fett/Davis slam final :spit:

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
+ No. 1 Angie is back!!! This means more entertaining matches in 2018.:cheer: :cheer::cheer:

Personally I'm already looking forward to grass court season - Angie only has the one title from her four grass court finals - but thinking she could really add to that in this form.
But she should be contending regularly for big titles before then.Maybe she can even win that elusive Monterrey crown (as long as she doesn't meet Pavs in the final obviously).

- No. 1 Katya turning a routine 1st round win into an epic slow motion disaster.

This in itself is not entirely unusual. But Melbourne was the one ducking place it didn't happen.:sobbing:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts