Tennis Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
So Coco has two options, enter with an USTA WC or enter using her SR 100.

What will be the choice, assuming that it's a free choice, and there is no rule about this situation? better for USTA to save a WC and give it to another American, or better for Coco to save one SR entry and use it for another slam?

By the way, the MD entry deadline this year should be the 9 of December, very very late, and for qualify the day before Christmas eve!

·
Premium Member
21,243 Posts
Smart choice for Coco to use the WC as she can save her PR for subsequent slams. Tbh she’ll most likely make DE by the time other slams come round though. Shame for Kat Stewart.

Aussie wildcards will surely come down to Sharma, Hon, Cabrera and Inglis. Cabrera has likely won a WC due to the ITF race. TA hasn’t made it official , but they’re usually slow with announcing this. You’d hope one of the other remaining 3 would win the WC playoff, but it’s a sure bet that Sharma and Hon would receive discretionary ones. Sharma has no chance of DE now, so she’s a definite. She was overlooked last year and qualified and won a round in the MD, and considering she’s only a few spots out, it would be a travesty to overlook her.

Sharapova is a sure bet if she is fit to play. I don’t agree with it but I can’t see them ignoring her.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Aussie wildcards will surely come down to Sharma, Hon, Cabrera and Inglis. Cabrera has likely won a WC due to the ITF race. TA hasn’t made it official , but they’re usually slow with announcing this. You’d hope one of the other remaining 3 would win the WC playoff, but it’s a sure bet that Sharma and Hon would receive discretionary ones. Sharma has no chance of DE now, so she’s a definite. She was overlooked last year and qualified and won a round in the MD, and considering she’s only a few spots out, it would be a travesty to overlook her.
Birrell reached R3 last year then got injured. I think if she's fit she should be in the running.

·
Premium Member
21,243 Posts
Birrell reached R3 last year then got injured. I think if she's fit she should be in the running.
Her only chance is if she wins the playoff. There are too many ahead of her.

I don’t think she’ll be ready though.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The women start on Tuesday. The field as of now is:

"1. Maddison Inglis
2. Lizette Cabrera
3. Destanee Aiava
4. Arina Rodionova
5. Ellen Perez
6. Jaimee Fourlis
7. Belinda Woolcock
8. Abbie Myers
9. Storm Sanders
10. Alison Bai
11. Olivia Tjandramulia
12. WC
13. WC
14. 18 & U Winner
15. UTR
16. UTR

As for the UTR spots:
Bozovic vs Tomic & Walker vs Da Silva Fick"

Da Silva Fick just won her match, so has secured a spot. She made the playoff last year by winning the 18 & U.
Sara Tomic just won her match, so has secured a spot. Current ranking is 848!!
Charlotte Kempenaers-Pocz 15yo just won the 18 & U so has secured a spot.

2 remaining WCs to ???
I guess Bozovic and Popovic? There is almost literally no one else to give them to.....

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
The women start on Tuesday. The field as of now is:

"1. Maddison Inglis
2. Lizette Cabrera
3. Destanee Aiava
4. Arina Rodionova
5. Ellen Perez
6. Jaimee Fourlis
7. Belinda Woolcock
8. Abbie Myers
9. Storm Sanders
10. Alison Bai
11. Olivia Tjandramulia
12. WC
13. WC
14. 18 & U Winner
15. UTR
16. UTR

As for the UTR spots:
Bozovic vs Tomic & Walker vs Da Silva Fick"

Da Silva Fick just won her match, so has secured a spot. She made the playoff last year by winning the 18 & U.
Sara Tomic just won her match, so has secured a spot. Current ranking is 848!!
Charlotte Kempenaers-Pocz 15yo just won the 18 & U so has secured a spot.

2 remaining WCs to ???
I guess Bozovic and Popovic? There is almost literally no one else to give them to.....
Thanks. I was looking back at my Twitter posts last year and remember posting about matches on the Monday night, but that of course is Tuesday morning local time. There was good coverage last year, plenty of streams, and the main court even had 2 commentators, so hopefully it's the same this year and Ill try and watch the first match each night (day).

21 - 33 of 33 Posts