Tennis Forum banner

121 - 140 of 153 Posts

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,294 Posts
You either have Alzheimer's or you weren't around in 1995-2002. At 15 on the pro circuit Serena and Venus were unforced error machines, Sharapova couldn't move to save her life and Henin was getting overpowered by everybody. Don't get me wrong, they all developed pretty quickly and by the time they were 16 or 17 they became incredible champions. But if we compare them at 15, Gauff is ahead of all of them.
I don't think you need to bring up Alzheimer's ( :censored: ) but that aside I agree with this post. Coco at 15 is better than Serena, Venus, Justine or Maria were at the same age. No question about it. Of course that does not necessarily mean Coco will be better at 20 than these four players were at that age or that she will go on the have as good a career as these four ended up with but Coco is certainly off to a great start. For the record, the last player to be as good (actually even better) at 15 as Coco is now was Martina Hingis. Capriati and Jaeger were also extremely prodigious talents.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Unfortunately Naomi doesn't have the variety and court craft that Barty possesses, and I don't see her be willing enough to add those facets to her game.

Coco is a tough match-up for Naomi, like all effective counterpunchers are (see: Kerber, Halep). The main problem for Osaka is that she doesn't have a net game. If she had one, everything would be much easier.
Definitely she is bad matchup that doesnt excuse naomi's performance. She was playing baseball tennis and her backhand was non existent. Not enough rallies from forehand side to break cori's forehand.

Missed chances on many returns where they went to net. Missed first serves. She was overall bad n yes she should've won this match. If she is getting owned by 15 year old prodigy, it is bad look on her.

If she isn't willing to improve, then she need to say gudbye to her big ambitions where she says she wanna win all slams in a season etc. If she doesn't changes her tactics, i don't see her winning any slam thid year. Anyways if she wishes to end with 2 slams in career, it is her call. Hopefully fissitte n her has time to develop, so hoping for the best

Her composure didn't look like a 2 slam champ one's. On other hand cori played like a champion.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
All those who just can say Gauff is overhyped must be fuming. Bless their souls.

Osaka desperately needs to give more dimensions to her game and by that I mean getting a net game and being able to add some pressure to the defenders. Watching her against someone who can retrieve well and is confident enough is just the same ol' story: it happened with Kerber, Halep, Putintseva, that match against Siniakova, today against Gauff, even that Brisbane match with Tsurenko.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Still in recovery after the first two upsets (first Wozniacki, then Serena) yours truly missed the entire match but regained consciousness long enough to hear a town crier bellowing out the latest mindblower:

"To Gauff.... to Gauff....Osaka falls to Gauff!"

The best quotations of the tournament thus far:

"Two years ago I lost first round in juniors, and now I'm here. This is crazy." And...

"I'm on Rod Laver Arena, I can't believe this."

That's Ms. Gauff pinching herself folks,... believe it.

Oh My Gauff indeed!

A link:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Osaka's backhand really let her down. I knew this was going to be a tough match since she played pretty crappy in the 1st and 2nd rounds. She just couldn't hit any backhand down the line.. what happened to her backhand? When she was with Bajin, she was placing the backhand down the line so beautifully.
Osaka played scared throughout the match and couldn't just hit freely. I don't think I ever seen Osaka play this bad at a grand slam since she was with David Taylor.
Coco seems to be improving every time she play. She will be unbeatable in a couple years.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Oh dear Naomi.
The frustrating thing about stanning her is that on a great day she can beat anybody and on a bad day she can be beaten by anybody.
I guess she's back to being a 3R person for now.

BUT... credit where it's due, Coco was really solid and composed and seemed completely unaffected by the big stadium, hype around the match, etc.
Really impressed with her serving - her second serve is as fast (or faster) that most WTA first serves.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
All those who just can say Gauff is overhyped must be fuming. Bless their souls.
Not at all. I am one of those that believe she is overhyped. And I am really fine with her winning this match.
We've had too many examples of overhyped players lately. It's one thing to praise a good rising player, and showcase a future multi slam winner, and another to proclaim them the next Serena. I mean look at the last 6 years:
The next Maria = Bouchard
The next Serena = Sloane, Muguruza, Madisson, Naomi, Bianca, Gauff

How many Serena the WTA had in it's history?? Oh 1!
Then why proclaim a new one every year? Be glad new players are reaching unexpected success.
Why put the pressure of the GOAT on their young career and minds?

·
Registered
9,017 Posts
Shocking result. Naomi needs to get it together. Amazing for Coco.
The top half is wide open for Coco/Petra/Ash to grab the spot in the final.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Is hard to make sense of the play and especially the demeanor of Osaka, have never seen anything quite like it. Maybe she got tired of listening to all the loud celebrations of her errors coming from across the net and decided to get off the court and back into the locker room asap...LOL

·
Registered
545 Posts
Honestly, if I saw this result and it wasn't a grandslam, I would have thought Osaka somehow tanked the match. But that clearly isn't the case here. I think she underestimated Gauff (and it's kinda understandable based on their last clash at the 2019 US Open).

Serena also underestimated Wang and paid for it.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Naomi's big improvement happened under Bajin, since then she's been pretty much lost, apart from a couple of weeks during the asian swing last year. Guy might be annoying, but it's good to see all that obsessional spamming about him from a couple of posters being exposed.
I agree with the bolded, but she was still really inconsistent under Bajin (losing streaks, periodic bad form, etc.) and had some questionable losses at Slams. Easily folding against Halep, Keys and Kerber—that match against Kerber I vividly remember because it was just tactically inept from her end --- Osaka didn't want to do anything to make Kerber uncomfortable and thought she could outhit her from the baseline on a grass court, well, we know how that turned out.

The main difference is that now, she's higher ranked, and will instead lose to lower-ranked players that can exploit her weaknesses in the early rounds. Like her last four Slams have been atrocious --- 3R, 1R, 4R, and 3R. Osaka's peak is so outstanding that I forgot how bad her base level actually is, which is concerning. Like that backhand can turn into a Keys-esque mess without any warning, and don't get me started on that second serve. Maybe she's just gonna have a Kvitová-like Slam performance for her whole career. For sure she will win more, most likely on HC, but losses like the ones she's had in the past year will no longer be surprises.

·
Registered
84,407 Posts

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
what a great day for tennis and humanity. Williams and Osaka out :love: :love: Simona is real number 1.HAIDE SIMONA
Isn't Ash Barty the real no. 1? ;)

Who's Magda playing next ?:D

121 - 140 of 153 Posts