Tennis Forum banner

101 - 120 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
I like Cori and wish her good, but so far, I have never of a match against a better ranked she won, where she was the impressive player or where her game really dominated her opponent like you would hear about Serena, Justine, Maria and etc when they were young. Her opponents spray errors, but the matches she plays never make people go wow, though i do admit that she has great mental strenght. It'll be interesting to see how she develop in the next few yeas.
I mean there was a beat down in Indian Wells over Halep, and then the USO Final against Serena (which perhaps is overshadowed by the drama). where her game was just plain better than Serena's. And this is only her second year a s a top player.

·
Registered
10,679 Posts
I missed the match as I had to get some sleep after matches in the middle of the night ... but wow, Cori. :D

·
Registered
827 Posts
She's 22, with at least 10 years (40+ slams) ahead of her, if healthy. I'd like her chances of exceeding Pova.
You guys really don't understand the weight of these accomplishments....in the last 30 (THIRTY) years, only 5 women have won more slams than Sharapova, so you'd be taking a big risk by favoring her chances of doing so.

·
Registered
96 Posts
How many years has Osaka been on tour and her mentality can still get this awful? There is no reason why a 22 year old, 2 time grand slam champion should implode like this against a 15 year old. I don’t care that she lost but the manner in which she lost is just disgraceful....She needs a mental coach (or a better one if she does have one) asap.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Coco is worthy of the hype, but the fact Cirstea nearly beat her suggests she shouldn't be troubling someone seen as a proper Slam contender yet. Would expect her to lose to Kenin, to be honest.

Naomi is a shy and awkward type but when she was winning slams one of her key strengths was her on court mental clutchness in key moments. Now everything's a big mess. Maybe Bajin did deserve much or most of the credit after all.

Plus players are figuring her out now, sounds like Gauff employed Poots-like variety to get her moving around out of her baseline comfort zone.

Real danger she could do a Muguruza if she doesn't work on her weaknesses or properly gel with Wim.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Considering Cirstea was so close to beating Coco last round, it is strange how Osaka, a two-time GS champ and former #1, could look so bad against her and lose in straights. Coco didn't dominate her. Osaka just seemed to go away mentally, instead of digging in and competing.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Not that bad of surprise. Coco is very smart. She learns and adapts very quickly so you knew this match was going to be much different than the match at US Open last year. Plus Coco at 15 is going to be improving at a rapid rate for the next year or too. Yeah Osako played poorly but this match was more about all the things thats going to make Coco one of if next the greatest ever. Naomi will be ok. It's not everyday you play someone who is destined for all time greatness.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I like Cori and wish her good, but so far, I have never of a match against a better ranked she won, where she was the impressive player or where her game really dominated her opponent like you would hear about Serena, Justine, Maria and etc when they were young.
You either have Alzheimer's or you weren't around in 1995-2002. At 15 on the pro circuit Serena and Venus were unforced error machines, Sharapova couldn't move to save her life and Henin was getting overpowered by everybody. Don't get me wrong, they all developed pretty quickly and by the time they were 16 or 17 they became incredible champions. But if we compare them at 15, Gauff is ahead of all of them.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Omg. My WWW thread where 90% chose Osaka must have been a jinx.

I'm also screaming at that Osaka stan starting a thread about Gauff being overhyped hours before the match, only to have it backfire in such a brutal way.

ETA: Osaka will be fine. Her Slam results in the past year look troubling, but I wouldn't overreact. Osaka has ambition, is a hard worker, and doesn't bask in delusion, which can't be said for other Slam champs that went awry like Garbi or Sloane.

·
Registered
84,406 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
I didn’t see the second set because I had to go to bed, but I actually didn’t think Osaka’s level was THAT bad in the first set. I felt after watching Serena -Wang not long before that either Gauff or Osaka first set would have routines either of them.

Gauff was really, really solid first set. Her serve is SO much better than last year. She hung in there on enough forehand shots and was able to stay with naomi’s pace shot for shot. Naomi made some errors in the first set but I actually thought her level was not bad and would have beat many many players. Gauff was just dialed in.

She is super impressive for a 15 year old - if she gets better not worse with age, she’s definitely the next big thing. Imagine she improves her forehand substantially - and you’ve got a super complete player. Already sincelast season, her serve has MASSIVELY improved and her forehand has improved albeit not enough yet. She doesn’t need to be that much better to be a top player. I really hope she can get far this tournament.

101 - 120 of 153 Posts