Tennis Forum banner

1 - 21 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
2nd top 10 win for Coco and she's just 15. And what a place to get a top 10 win! Coco is so amazing, what mental strength at this age, my favs could never LOL. Even if she never improves her game technically, her mental strength is probably enough for her to have a solid career!

Naomi was total trash today, I think she hit more BHs today out than in, yikes! Gave me Wimbldeon vibes.

·
Registered
39,152 Posts
Gauff was super solid. She‘s so composed for her age. However, Osaka really only has herself to blame for losing this match. She missed like six-seven backhands in a row at one point and just leaked way too many errors.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
A champion is born. If u have watched tennis for the first time, gauff will be the one who looked as multi slam champ. Those second serves n defense. Humiliating defeat for Naomi who couldn't even give a decent fight That second serve is made for getting punished. And non existent backhand. Its ok to lose but not the way she lost.throughout the match she was playing baseball tennis
Gauff can win whole thing if she serve like this. 160 kms per her second serves

·
Registered
10,123 Posts
The more Osaka dumped shots into the net, the more you knew she was toast. Her body language was a giveaway as well. I wondered if Coco would be the one doing the consoling today.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Last 4 points of the match tells the story. ROS UE, ROS UE, ROS UE, groundstroke UE into the middle of the net.

Basically nothing worked in Naomi's game today - no ROS, no BH, serve deserted her in crucial times and I'm not sure she tried to change her game plan at all. Made no effort to adjust her return position, or tone down on her returning, even when it was clear her ROS wasn't clicking tonight. The number of shots she dumped into the middle/bottom of the net were just... Her body language gave everything away, barely any intensity after the first few games.

Coco played amazingly well, moved extremely well, defended impressively and played aggressively when she had the chance to. Serve was very good too, neither of her second serve or forehand (both of her weaknesses) broke down today. Just drew Osaka into error after error after error.

Naomi needs to go back to the drawing board and fix many things. First, her attitude. Second, having a new game plan when her game isn't working because it was shit today and she didn't even bother trying to do anything to cut down on her errors. Naomi down to #9 in the rankings, at least not out of the top 10; but oh boy. Naomi hasn't really showed up in the last 4 Slams, unfortunately - 3R here, 4R USO, 1R W, 3R FO.

So, in an incredible day, we lose both Serena and Naomi.

The draw is WIDE, WIDE open for Barty, Kvitova, Pliskova, Svitolina and Simona.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Coco served pretty well and honestly just did what she had to do to get this win. It was a solid,mature performance. She didn't have to be at her best to get this win but she's into week 2.
Osaka was beyond horrible, worst match from her in a very long time. She needs to just forget this match ever happened and just move on.
Coco has a decent shot at making a really deep run with Serena also going out, one match at a time girl let's go.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1 - 21 of 153 Posts