Tennis Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Pavs seems to like playing in Australia.
That hasn't always been the case though, has it? I remember before she made the QF in 2017 the AO was probably her weakest slam. Now it seems it's her best lol. Hope she can finally get (at least) the SF she deserves.

·
Registered
13,275 Posts
The problem with Pliskova is that without her serve, she is pretty much an average player.

Her mediocre movement means that she struggles against those ballstrikers who can hit winners from anywhere on the court - such as Osaka, Pavs, Giorgi, Yastremska, etc. When these players are on, it is very difficult for Pliskova because her anticipation and movement aren't good enough.

Then, she also doesn't hit with that much pace, tbh. So intelligent counterpunchers like Kerber, Halep, Radwanska (when she was still playing) among others can always grind her down, too.

Pliskova's game is quite match-up dependent imo because there are just too many players that she can lose to. I feel like it would be very difficult for her to win a Slam because of these deficiencies in her game - which, granted, she has worked very hard to improve - and because of the lack of OCC, as it seems OCC is something that she really relies on a lot to push her in the regular tour.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
That hasn't always been the case though, has it? I remember before she made the QF in 2017 the AO was probably her weakest slam. Now it seems it's her best lol. Hope she can finally get (at least) the SF she deserves.
That might be the case and I hadn't checked her results but I don't seem to notice her as much elsewhere than I seem to during the Australian summer.

·
Registered
11,211 Posts
Ka Pliskova: Different slam, same story. Watch how she goes on to win Stuttgart, Eastbourne and Cincy now - only to flop at all the slams. This was a case of a player who chokes at the biggest stage v an underdog who thrives on random peaking at the biggest stage. Pavs has a great chance to reach her 6th grandslam quarterfinal, where she could well breakthrough to her first semi a la Svitolina.

·
Registered
14,904 Posts
one word: Sam Sumyk
No doubt about it

Pavs always had the game but hiring him gave her career a turbo-boost — a significant improvement in terms of elite professionalism that was missing for a long time. A lesson for other supposed top level players who want to do it on the cheap (tryin to win big with basic-ass coaches)

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
32,728 Posts
one word: Sam Sumyk
Sam has definitely helped Nastya a lot. Nastya hiring Sam Sumyk was almost as smart a move as Garbine firing him. ;) It shows how important a coach is but also that it is not just about the quality of the coach but the chemistry that coach has with his/her player.

·
Registered
40,123 Posts
Pavs :cheer: can she finally achieve I would love her maiden semifinal here! Keep going please :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,897 Posts
was wondering if i should stay up that late to watch, was a good decision not to in the end.
happy for my clumsy pavs doing well, but boy is it a gargantuan tedious task to stan for karo with BS performances like that at slams. god fucking dammit.

·
Registered
19,447 Posts
was wondering if i should stay up that late to watch, was a good decision not to in the end.
happy for my clumsy pavs doing well, but boy is it a gargantuan tedious task to stan for karo with BS performances like that at slams. god fucking dammit.
At least she ain't no Svitolina whose performances in loss are far less forgivable. Pliskova has at least kept her loss scoreline respectable even if painful for her fans. Just needs to find the right peak at the right time.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Is this a typical win that's gives you hope Pavlyuchenkova is gonna come through only to disappoint in the next round or two?

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
Disappointing for KP's fans, but this definitely had the upset potential despite the H2H.
I was afraid that Karo would underestimate Pavlyu after those six straight wins and Oops here it is - an upset at the biggest stage.
It looks that Pavlyu's coach did a great job as regards the tactical plan for the match and the player delivered thereon brilliantly.
Congrats (y)

·
Registered
52,870 Posts

·
Registered
52,870 Posts

·
Registered
52,870 Posts
81 - 98 of 98 Posts