Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ali has improved so much. Now rematch against Ash from Wimbledon R4 last year, can she beat her again? After a terrible first set she really stepped it up. I thought Görges played well too. Not enough first serves but not too error-prone from the baseline.

·
GIMME SHELTER
48,175 Posts
To put it in a nutshell: NID
Riske played too strong after/with reaching the tbrk

·
Registered
52,809 Posts
A typical Görges result/match.
Julia played a horrible tiebreak (from 2-0 to 2-6 🤦)
She could and should have won the match, was the better and more talented player.
But Julia sadly (once again - like so many times in her career) could not close the match out. She had her chances, but wasted them. Too weak mentally, too inconsistent, too many UEs.
Sad. But Julia is Julia. No killer instinct. Riske is stronger mentally and more solid.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I heard someone from the crowd who yelled "to the body Julia" just when Georges was serving on the final matchpoint, I thought, no, not to the body but... Julia served to the body and boom.

Georges was too ambitious and ran into too many UE, Riske played exceptionally well from the 2nd set

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Riske has a lovely game... she redirects the ball so well, but most importantly for the past year or so she's become mentally strong as well, good for her! Jules second year in a row lost due to her mental weakness.
As a Barty fan, I was hoping Goerges would win, oh well :p The rematch of Wimbledon R4 (again happening in a slam R4) should be good if both of them show up!

·
Registered
19,445 Posts
Riske has just stunned me with her ability to be composed despite being behind in her matches of late. She took it to a third and she was clean thereafter. Well done.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Riske's flat hitting and tendency for inside out shots is such a different look, and she's just a lovely person, too. Her pressers at Wimbledon were charming.

Definitely glad to see a rematch of that Wimbledon match, and hopefully Barty can serve a bit better this time around to get the W.

·
Registered
43,871 Posts
Julia :( Such a shame and she could not get another win here and make another R16 appearance but strong start to the year.

Congrats Alison. She has improved massively and it is fantastic to see her getting consistent as well.

·
Registered
13,231 Posts
This used to be the type of scorelines that Alison would lose by.

Impressive how she has turned her mentality around so late into her career. She deserves it with all her ballstriking talent (even though her groundstroke technique is a little wonky) and honestly has a chance at making the final now with the losses of Naomi and Serena today. A slim one, but still... opens up considerably for her, especially considering how she dealt with Barty at Wimbledon last year.

·
Registered
7,905 Posts
Riske is really making up for YEARS of choking and mental midgetry. Her resilience these past few months has been amazing, she is just so hard to put away now.

Goerges was actually quite good too until she led in the tiebreak, and it was a fun match in that you could tell both of them really wanted it.

Players really need to stop setting Ali up for her BHDTL. They get burned by it every time and very few of them bother adjusting. It's such a brilliant shot (even though she always misses a few as well). :)

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
Yay, one of my favourites is somehow still in the draw after one of them (Martić) got eliminated by Riske's opponent in the previous round. :D

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Riske is the prime example of what finally getting a good headset and becoming resilient can really do for you as a player. She was for years an average WTA player who couldn’t fully breakthrough to the upper quarter of the WTA Tour and always found herself losing because of mental midgetry but now she’s a solid top 20 player...all because she’s been able to hang in there and not choke matches away.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts