Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
64,634 Posts
Arantxa 2.0 is a delight to see. Julian Alonso really rebuilt her game and her confidence. Arantxa was the better player for 1.5 sets, with Keys' serve giving the American the edge, but fell apart towards the end. No worries there, because she did a lot better than most people on this forum would have expected. I am very pleased with this performance.

·
Registered
13,307 Posts
Rus deserved the first set imo, much better player off the ground for majority of it. Keys' first serve saved her time and time in that set, and she raised her level in the tiebreak and played more consistently off the ground. Unfortunate that Rus couldn't snag that set, if she did I think the outcome would have been more in doubt.

In the second Rus' level dipped a little and made more errors, Keys capitalized on them and became more consistent herself.

Still vastly unimpressed by Keys. At this point you'd have to wonder if she can build a consistent career with her sheer power, or if she'll always be an on/off basher.

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Good effort from Arantxa. Played a very good and steady first set but had no sight on Keys' serve, and just a bit less steady in the TB.

Had some chances at the start of the second but unravelled fast after getting broken in a sloppy service game. Became too impatient after that, while Keys' shots became cleaner.

I think Arantxa is ready for a higher level than 25k's. 😄

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
If there's one thing you can count on always is Keys showing up at slams. It's just about everywhere else she seems to have a hard time doing the same.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Arantxa :D Good to see her on these courts again

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Her Charleston and Cincy titles disagree.
Which is why I said just about anywhere else. Of course she has great results in other places too, otherwise she wouldn't be this high in the rankings, but it's obvious slams is where she's always shined brightest. Problem is even at slams she has yet to find that extra something it takes to take it all the way.

At her previous 19 slams (she missed AO 2017) she made it to week 2 a total of 14 times. Of those she stopped in the quarterfinals 3 times, semifinals also 3 times and of course there was the US Open 2017 final. In that same timeframe she made it to the quarterfinals or higher just twice at her last 19 PMs (the other being a semifinal) and 5 times for her previous 16 P5s, of course finally winning one last year in Cincinnati (others being two quarterfinals and two finals). That sure is not a lot for someone that's starting her 6th year as a top 20 player.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Rus had a lot of chances in Madison’s service games. One bad service game from Arantxa decided the match. Nonetheless it was still a good match for her, hope she can finally do something on the main tour! :)

·
Registered
17,671 Posts
Good effort from Arantxa. Played a very good and steady first set but had no sight on Keys' serve, and just a bit less steady in the TB.

Had some chances at the start of the second but unravelled fast after getting broken in a sloppy service game. Became too impatient after that, while Keys' shots became cleaner.

I think Arantxa is ready for a higher level than 25k's. 😄
Indeed, she can run to the French 60K next week.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts