Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brady was up 30-0 and had 3 SPs at 6-5 in the first set. Couldn't hold on but Halep took the TB and then raised her level to route her in the 2nd set.
Halep was struggling a bit but the 2nd set was very promising from her.
Brady's serving needs work - misses the 1st serve way too often.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Great work from Simona navigating through a tough opponent. I knew Brady would get broken after she was serving for the first set and Simo took an MTO.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Brady's plan was obvious.
Give your all to win the first, hoping that Simona will get her head in the way, and helped by that and the exhilaration will keep her enough to take the second.
That made for a great 1st set battle, but once Simona squeezed out the win, there was no going back, and the match quality dropped.

·
Registered
113,028 Posts
Bottom half looks much weaker than top. Winner of round 3 with Collins is a contender to get to the final

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Despite the whooping in the second set Brady was a very tricky opponent today and it's unfortunate she had to meet Simona Halep in R1 as she could have done some serious damage to the draw otherwise. This is a player who could have probably won against 75% of the AO draw.

Overall a tough match, Simona looked much better in the 2nd set, with many positives to take from this match as I don't think I've seen her hit so many different shots in a single match since who knows when. And really the second she finally managed to cut down on the numerous unforced errors she was making in the 1st set (while Jennifer couldn't do the same), the match was won in a rather dominant fashion there at the end.

·
Premium Member
37,951 Posts
Halep showing again why she's one of the top players of the last seven years, former number one and twice slam winner. (y)

Each time a troll or hater laughs at one of her losses, claiming how useless and weak she is, just laugh at his face and remind the facts above. 😁

·
Registered
60 Posts
So impressed by Halep's performance today.
She refused to budge at the end of the first set, stayed focused and even delighted us with a lob, drop-shot & effective net play which in Halep's game are as rare as a comet :)
Good start of the tournament, next round should be easier for her, so I'm patiently waiting her meeting with DRC.🍿

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
No one is mentioning the very hard fall onto the concrete floor by Halep in the 1st set.
Simona turned her ankle and went down hard on her backside, legs flying in the air.
I thought she was done after the fall. Hopefully she can get out of bed today.
Great comeback by Simona in the 2nd set, after a very close 1st set.
The thing that stands out in the stats are Brady's 35 UFEs.
Brady was a very dangerous 1st round player as a 5'10 giant, hard court player.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
No one is mentioning the very hard fall onto the concrete floor by Halep in the 1st set.
Simona turned her ankle and went down hard on her backside, legs flying in the air.
I thought she was done after the fall. Hopefully she can get out of bed today.
Great comeback by Simona in the 2nd set, after a very close 1st set.
The thing that stands out in the stats are Brady's 35 UFEs.
Brady was a very dangerous 1st round player as a 5'10 giant, hard court player.
Didn't she also fall in R1 in 2018? Also I know it's super cheesy, but this match was such a neat representation of her career, falling on her ass (quite literally here) and then finding the strength to fight even harder and ultimately win.

·
Registered
24,041 Posts
I thought that the first set was quite incredible for the 1st round. Surely Brady would've beaten many players who advanced to the second round. She lost her way when she gave up her chances though. Her year is iff to a good start, nonetheless.

I thought Simona really brought a good level, despite a few too many errors in set 1. Watch out for her.

·
Registered
24,041 Posts
Didn't she also fall in R1 in 2018? Also I know it's super cheesy, but this match was such a neat representation of her career, falling on her ass (quite literally here) and then finding the strength to fight even harder and ultimately win.
I was watching the match on mute, but to me it looked like she took a hard fall but her ankle didn't turn.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Yes, that was mentioned in the interview videos above.
For fans that missed the match there is a good 15 min highlight on YouTube from -- injoker tennis vlog -- just search for Halep vs Brady

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I was watching the match on mute, but to me it looked like she took a hard fall but her ankle didn't turn.
Her ankle started to turn and she wisely released pressure on that leg and took a fall to save her ankle.
The announcers mentioned that she was sliding her foot clay court style, and the the shoe caught.
Clijsters slid her feet of hard courts all the time. I was always amazed that she didn't destroy her ankles.

·
Registered
19,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Her ankle started to turn and she wisely released pressure on that leg and took a fall to save her ankle.
The announcers mentioned that she was sliding her foot clay court style, and the the shoe caught.
Clijsters slid her feet of hard courts all the time. I was always amazed that she didn't destroy her ankles.
Yeah, I didn't actually see that live as I was doing something else when the fall happened, but I did see most of a replay afterwards, and yes, everything you said adds up.

The unfortunate thing about hard courts today than a couple years back is they tend to be more abrasive, making sliding very dangerous if you're not extremely careful and know exactly where to put your weight at all times (and of course when to lift it). But from what I hear the AO court is one of the best to slide around still, makes sense why it was always one of Kim's favorites.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts