Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 237 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,115 Posts
Not a total embarrassment from Maria...I was expecting worse and you can see how the lack of match play and confidence has really affected her. While it would have been worse...had she taken her opportunities...it could have been much better. Props to Donna for staying tough and playing well when it matters.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Not a single thread?

Routine win for Dona.

3rd straight R1 slam loss for Maria, 4 losses in a row again and a 2-8 record in the last 12 months. With this loss, she is out of the top 300.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Vekic came back from 4-1 down in the second, held her nerve and her serve to close it out. Impressive change from her normal end-of-match jitters.

Sharapova's forehand and serve were gone for the first set, and abandoned her again late in the 2nd set.

Vekic had some excellent moments on return but her serve was pretty ho-hum. Cornet or Niculescu next.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sharapova had her chances but just made way too many unforced errors. She almost got back on serve in the first from 1-5 down and was 4-1 up in the second and got broken from 30-0 up twice in a row, she easily could've forced a third but was too erratic.
Donna was solid and aggressive when she needed to be, she was the better player.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
The only positive for Vekic is that she won, because she would have been inconsolable if she had lost this match with such a massive meltdown after getting to 5-2 in set 1.

Vekic really was terrible after getting to 5-2, making wild errors on easy balls, missing almost all her first serves and not moving at all. Beyond that, wtf was her strategy? Hit everything to Sharapova's forehand and not make her move? Wow. It was like a forehand drill for Maria.

As a fan of Vekic I don't draw much confidence from this. Her serve is a weapon, but was completely MIA for most of this match, and her movement was exposed fully. Also, her mentality was really bad for much of the match.

Like I said though, she won, and that's a positive. Hopefully she improves a LOT for her next matches.

As for Maria...she showed top 50 level tennis for a few games, going from 5-2 down in set 1 to 4-1 up in set 2. Unfortunately, she then lost 5 games in a row.

She needs to play small tournaments instead of relying on constant wildcards. It's not going to work this way. Vekic playing at close to her worst for much of this match was able to beat her in straights. She can get back to the top 50 if she schedules smartly, but I'm not sure about more than that.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
3rd grand slam 1st round loss. What a shame. When you think Sharapova will hit a double fault on 2nd serve, it's a guarentee.

Thinking she will be seriously considering her tennis future after this. Possibly RG will be her last tournament....maybe this one.

As a fan, even I knew that there was a very high likelyhood she would lose, even if she did win a set so, nothing new. She hit hard, served DFs, hit a bunch of UES and flashy winners, she did her usual gritty fighting and she was done. Literally NO ONE expected Maria to win this given her recent showing so it's whatever. 😌 I just do not understand how she can't serve! With her height and power, she should always lead the point but nope. She needs to go back to her old second serve. It was risky but at least she went for it.

I'll always love her but she definitely isn't a title contender and hasn't been since her comeback.

·
Registered
32,777 Posts
Vekic came back from 4-1 down in the second, held her nerve and her serve to close it out. Impressive change from her normal end-of-match jitters.

Sharapova's forehand and serve were gone for the first set, and abandoned her again late in the 2nd set.

Vekic had some excellent moments on return but her serve was pretty ho-hum. Cornet or Niculescu next.
Pretty pathetic.

·
Registered
19,449 Posts
To sell tickets...
they keep putting her on centre court. This shouldn't have been an RLA match though I guess they were desperate to have a "marquee" name for women's to light the morning.

·
Registered
13,310 Posts
NID result.

3 consecutive GS R1 exits for Sharapova now.

Down to #366 in the rankings provisionally.

Will she even be back to the top 100? Will she play ITFs or WTA Q?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
No shame in losing to Vekic but you can only wonder when her team will stop saying she's fully healed and ready to yadda yadda yadda because if she doesn't get some confidence and matchplay (which she won't get if showered with WCs at big tournaments) it won't be long before she becomes a less interesting version of Sexy Lexy.

1 - 20 of 237 Posts