Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just realised looking through live rankings that Kaia Kanepi holds the last spot for direct qualifing to AO (which won't materialise due to PRs with a solid 659 points. I wasn't bothered to check, but in my memory I don't believe the cut-off was ever this high points wise. Is there a specific reason that caused this?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
It's not about depth, but probably has to do with increased vulturing by players around the 90-130 spot.

Everyone trying to break the famous 600 point mark but it's no longer enough.

Rus even had to break 25k title world records in order to make the top 100, because normal vulturing isn't enough anymore.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Maybe this is the "depth in the tour" everyone is talking about
Or more tournaments to play in? I mean WTA 125k are still relatively recent and there are more weeks with 3 simultaneous WTA tournaments than in the past. It is easier to get points when you are regularly facing 100-250 ranked WTA opponents in WTA MD's.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
There has been an explosion of low level tournaments that give a lot of points, and are placed after the official season end and before the AO deadline, that mid-level players are using to build up a rank.
The Rus case is the proof, reaching the top 100 level playing practically only 25k ITF tourneys all year long, even now.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Wait that the last spot for direct entry is not really the theoretical #104, but much lower, due to the increasing use (and abuse) of PR.
There is a list of about a dozen of players that could, theoretically, apply for direct entry using PR, including Jankovic and Lucic-Baroni!

I don't think it will really happen, however at least four or five will do (Bellis, Vandeweghe for sure) so this year not even the 100th spot, today 669 points, is safe.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Janković played her last match in US Open 2017, more than two years have passed, I don't think she'd be applicable.

CiCi, Coco, Katie B and Rodina seem likely to use PR, can Barthel apply too?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vitalia did it :inlove: it's true that she was vulturing during the spring but she didn't overdo it like Rus, and this is quite a solid way to get in :) So now, Kalinskaya holds the #104 spot with 661 points.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Watson will be #102 on entry deadline (Dec 9) and could be 3 out of acceptance initially.

At least Bellis (43 SR), Zvonareva (78 SR), Rogers (81 SR), Boulter (85 SR) and Vandeweghe (100 SR) will enter or has entered with SR.

The 2018 AO MD cutoff was #102 initially and #103 in the end.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A rule that I don't understand. Why are certain points not counted? Ex for Arantxa Rus. She has currently has 669 points in official ranking, of which about 104 are not counted. (ex : 15 points Bastad/125$K, 18 points Valencia/60$K..) not countable...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I found the answer. Only the 16 best tournaments are counted for players... But what’s interest of Rus playing so many little tournaments?

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
A rule that I don't understand. Why are certain points not counted? Ex for Arantxa Rus. She has currently has 669 points in official ranking, of which about 104 are not counted. (ex : 15 points Bastad/125$K, 18 points Valencia/60$K..) not countable...
Because you can only post 16 tournaments, so the more points you pick up in few events, the better. You could reach a string of W60 QFs and keep picking up 18 points, but if you've got 16 events better than, or equal to, that amount, then you're not going to add to your tally.

Rus will actually jump ahead of of Begu before the cut off, and Rus does still have one or two W25s to play, so she may well add further points, but she'll need to reach a certain stage or she'll get no credit for it

1 - 20 of 32 Posts