Tennis Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

Registered
For Spanish fans would be great to have this promising player.
If she ever wants to play Fed she has to change it.
Or go to the Olympics 馃槈
I'm sure if it had to come to that, Andorra could probably pick one or two club girls to meet the requirements for a Fed Cup team :sneaky:

Registered
For Spanish fans would be great to have this promising player.
Sure.

If she ever wants to play Fed she has to change it.
True. I can't imagine Andorra ever having enough players at anywhere near that level, especially if they only have one indoor court to train on.

Or go to the Olympics 馃槈
Why couldn't she represent Andorra at the Olympics? You don't need multiple players as part of the team.

Registered
True. I can't imagine Andorra ever having enough players at anywhere near that level, especially if they only have one indoor court to train on.
They don't need to be at a high level. For example, Puerto Rico has Puig and then some other local girls who don't even have a ranking. Puig most likely wins all her matches, while the other girls hardly win any games. Yet they still manage to get promoted up a level occasionally cause of Puig.

Registered
Is that you interviewing??
Is she gonna change nationality in the future?
Nice interview! She is quite fluent in English. Interesting to see a player from Andorra.

Saving 3 MPs and winning 3-6 7-6(7) 7-6(7) is pretty impressive, especially doing it in your first slam draw ever at 14. (On a side note, feel sorry for her opponent, she was in tears at the end)
For a 14-year-old she has quite decent power in her groundstrokes as well.

Registered
They don't need to be at a high level. For example, Puerto Rico has Puig and then some other local girls who don't even have a ranking. Puig most likely wins all her matches, while the other girls hardly win any games. Yet they still manage to get promoted up a level occasionally cause of Puig.
The difference is that Puerto Rico has a population of 3.2 million, of whom (I guess) a LOT would be quite useful female tennis players. There are only 77,000 people in Andorra, so I doubt that there's anywhere near the same degree of choice available (much as I would like to see it).

Registered
The difference is that Puerto Rico has a population of 3.2 million, of whom (I guess) a LOT would be quite useful female tennis players. There are only 77,000 people in Andorra, so I doubt that there's anywhere near the same degree of choice available (much as I would like to see it).
But despite that they still have managed to field a Davis Cup team 17 times since the year 2000.

If they really wanted to keep Jimenez, surely they could just pick a few club girls and just take them to a Fed Cup tie for one week. They might not perform that well, but as long as it gets her within a chance for the Olympics surely they would take it?

Registered
But despite that they still have managed to field a Davis Cup team 17 times since the year 2000.

If they really wanted to keep Jimenez, surely they could just pick a few club girls and just take them to a Fed Cup tie for one week. They might not perform that well, but as long as it gets her within a chance for the Olympics surely they would take it?
Looking at the Olympic qualification criteria, unless there is discretion regarding Fed Cup or other national representation, she's not eligible because she didn't play Fed Cup last year (according to the rules, you have to have represented your country in at least two of the last four years, one of which must be 2019 or 2020) and has never otherwise represented Andorra as a country at senior level.

Obviously I may be wrong, but I think her only chance of being there is to become the European continental wild card. However, I can't see her getting even that, because every other country in Europe has players ranked higher than her, simply because she has still not played a senior tournament.

Let's not worry about the Olympics for her until 2024.

Registered
Looking at the Olympic qualification criteria, unless there is discretion regarding Fed Cup or other national representation, she's not eligible because she didn't play Fed Cup last year (according to the rules, you have to have represented your country in at least two of the last four years, one of which must be 2019 or 2020) and has never otherwise represented Andorra as a country at senior level.

Obviously I may be wrong, but I think her only chance of being there is to become the European continental wild card. However, I can't see her getting even that, because every other country in Europe has players ranked higher than her, simply because she has still not played a senior tournament.

Let's not worry about the Olympics for her until 2024.
Yes I was not talking about the Tokyo Olympics, but more for future when she is older and if she makes it out at a top pro level.

I'm 99,99% sure when the time comes she will move to Spain. I dont blame her, it's the smart move, the level of competition isnt exactly threatning at the moment.

Registered
I'm 99,99% sure when the time comes she will move to Spain. I dont blame her, it's the smart move, the level of competition isnt exactly threatning at the moment.
It doesn't matter where she lives, though - she can still represent Andorra if she wants to. She's obviously super-proud of being the first Andorran to win a Grand Slam event.

Registered
Happy to see the thread.
So many of the finalists from the girls Grand Slam events go on to have big careers in the WTA.
Kasintseva is from the European tennis powerhouse of Andorra -- see the beautiful photos above.
Andorra is a landlocked little country in the mountains between France and Spain and has a population of 80,000.
From Google maps Andorra appears to be about 8 miles from side to side.
Kasintseva apparently was the youngest player in the girls AO event at 14 y/o and a lefty.
Were you being satirical?

Registered
Were you being satirical?
Bound to be!

I've actually been there, and I guess that there would be very few others on this forum who could say the same. I was there in the middle of summer, and my abiding memory of the city itself is the never-ending line of duty free shops. 馃嵕馃嵕馃嵕馃嵕馃嵕馃嵕 As for the scenery, wonderfully stark mountain vistas and a couple of stunning waterfalls on the road in from the railway station (I had travelled by train from Perpignan), which is on the border between France and Spain. It's simply not possible to get a railway into Andorra itself.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts