1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First ever grand slam girls singles title for a taiwanese player :worship:
Pretty impressive hard hitting groundstrokes and champion mentality

·
Premium Member
23,740 Posts
Liang :yeah:

Heard the commentator that Chan Chin-Wei is now coaching her. It won't be easy to transition to pros but it's not impossible at 5'3 if she works hard, she has nice feel for the game at good technique.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Not Burel's best match but she showed a lot of promise this week. Congrats to Liang!

·
Registered
18,469 Posts
Sadly, cant see the winner in the top 100 or top 200 in her career. IMHO she is the worst Junior GS winner in years. Burel is more promising and can be top 100 in a few years.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
First girls' Slam singles champion for Taiwan, while China still doesn't have a finalist!

First Asian girls' Slam champion at the AO, first at any Slam since Lertcheewakarn at Wimbledon 2009. Surely Liang will turn out better than Lertcheewakarn at least.

Her pro results aren't bad - she only played two ITFs last year and got to the final in the second, beating former top 200 player Luangnam en route. I'd like to see her focus on the pros rather than vulture juniors in her last eligible year now though.

Maybe a good omen for Halep as Liang saved match points in multiple matches (R1 vs Gadecki, SF vs Cocciaretto) to win the title.

·
Premium Member
63,755 Posts
Congrats En Shuo ;)

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Is she so bad?
No :shrug:

Sturdy groundstrokes and a good FH in particular. Aggressive point construction. Lots of work to do to get to pro level but she's far from the worst recent junior Slam winner - no worse than Jorovic or Mihalikova, for instance.

·
Registered
37,498 Posts
why are people sh1tting on this girl. i mean look at davis and cibulkova.....they are same size
Davis and Cibulkova were far better Juniors than Liang has been. To make it even to Top 100 in Pros as a smaller girl you really need to be an outstanding prospect, it’s just a different ball game againt the big girls were strength and power are so much more important.

·
Super Moderator
2,445 Posts
If Cibulkova and Putintseva can make it in the tour so can Liang.

I’ll watch her progress in the next year or two. Hope she adds more variety though.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Some good hitting there, but I'm pretty shocked how unfit both seem to be?! These coaches need to develop adult athletes, but it seems that part of the game is sorely neglected.
Yeah, Liang doesn't look fit and players of her height need to be SUPER-fit to make it in the pros.

Though it doesn't seem to affect her speed or her stamina (she's played and won 12 singles and 5 doubles matches in the past two weeks, saving MPs in more than one of them).

Actually, just noticed she's on a 22-match winning streak in juniors :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts