Tennis Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
In the last match of the day, 18-year-old Whitney Osuigwe continued her stunning turnaround in form with a three-set win over Romanian Mihaela Buzarnescu.

The American teen had lost 11 of her final 12 matches in 2020, having not tasted not tasted victory since February. And she looked headed for another defeat when she trailed Buzarnescu 6-2 5-2.

Yet buoyed by a new mentality, she rebounded to record an inspiring 2-6 7-6(1) 6-2 triumph.

"I really tried to make that my identity, never giving up. It shows in tennis it's never over until it's actually over, so I kept that in the back of mind the entire time," Osuigwe said.

"Last year was tough, and I think at a point in time I started not enjoying tennis. So a big part of coming into this year was just finding my happiness with tennis again, just leaving 2020 behind me and starting fresh.

"During the pre-season I was on the track every single day, practising twice a day, so I worked really hard to get to where I am right now.

Reactions: StephenUK

·
Registered
713 Posts
Osuigwe does not seem that thrilled. She looks like someone else made her play tennis and she would rather be doing something more fun or interesting.
You got that right! I watched her first round of qualifying and Osuigwe looked more interested in her nails then her racquet or the way she was playing. Almost makes me think of a young Capriati who would rather be hanging out with her friends rather then hitting a tennis ball. Don't get me wrong, I am happy she got thru that last match, what a meltdown from her opponent, but I don't see her winning a main draw match. Maybe this experience might encourage her. If not, she is just wasting her time, and the time of her coaches and supporters.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
When you see her at insta it looks like she is more busy with bikini photos then with tennis , but we see that by lots of youngsters . Its the tiktok gen . They dont no better.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Osuigwe does not seem that thrilled. She looks like someone else made her play tennis and she would rather be doing something more fun or interesting.
You got that right! I watched her first round of qualifying and Osuigwe looked more interested in her nails then her racquet or the way she was playing.
Why do you think I referred to her earlier as "junior Sloane?" :D

41 - 46 of 46 Posts