Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,480 Posts
Miki :( So close but she’s someone who needs a lot of matches so this is a good step in the right direction and I hope she won’t get too down on herself for this loss.

Reactions: ziggy2shus3

·
Registered
14,704 Posts
Her dad got her into it, so there is that.
Edit: Actually wanted to share this one
You could say about 99 percent of the players that'll her dad got her into it. It ultimately matters if the player had the fire and desire.

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
Buzarnescu is not normal, she was 6-2 and 5-2 up... How to give up like that?
She didn't give up. She just got frustrated and upset and lost the plot mentally. It almost happened in the previous round but she pulled herself together in time. I can understand that she is not enjoying playing GS qualies after injury derailed her progress, it's not easy for these players who used to be in the top 50 to be doing this.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
This is what she needs to be doing, playing through qualifying and proving she's got what takes to win her way into draws rather than leaning on the wildcards.

Sorry for Buzarnescu, she's never been the same since that injury. But glad that Osuigwe is starting to get something started for once.

·
31,519 Posts
Osuigwe does not seem that thrilled. She looks like someone else made her play tennis and she would rather be doing something more fun or interesting.
This, all the time. She's one of few players who really gives that vibe... but also i wonder if it has anything to do with her start in the pros, she was a dominant player in the juniors and the pros have been a huge eye opening for her. She looks to me like the typical good junior who has consistent game for the juniors but then doesnt have enough weight of shot or power to suceed in the pros. That's harsh to take initially, and im not surprised shes a bit lost at the moment.

·
Registered
9,102 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
This, all the time. She's one of few players who really gives that vibe... but also i wonder if it has anything to do with her start in the pros, she was a dominant player in the juniors and the pros have been a huge eye opening for her. She looks to me like the typical good junior who has consistent game for the juniors but then doesnt have enough weight of shot or power to suceed in the pros. That's harsh to take initially, and im not surprised shes a bit lost at the moment.
This, I saw Whitney at Wimbledon Q's in 2019 knowing that she was an up and coming junior and was really underwhelmed, not much weight of shot, physically very unimposing and a very 'juniorish' approach to the game. That also happened to be the same Wimbledon Q where Gauff took off and the difference between the twos styles, ability and mental approach was like night and day.

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
This, I saw Whitney at Wimbledon Q's in 2019 knowing that she was an up and coming junior and was really underwhelmed, not much weight of shot, physically very unimposing and a very 'juniorish' approach to the game. That also happened to be the same Wimbledon Q where Gauff took off and the difference between the twos styles, ability and mental approach was like night and day.
I am sure that the rise of Gauff, which has really put Osuigwe into the shadows, has not helped her at all, as she seems a bit forgotten compared to what she was expecting after her excellent junior career.

·
Registered
20,117 Posts
I think Boozer will be hitting the sauce after that epic collapse...

·
Premium Member
63,779 Posts
Congrats Whitney :love:

·
Registered
368 Posts
I am sure that the rise of Gauff, which has really put Osuigwe into the shadows, has not helped her at all, as she seems a bit forgotten compared to what she was expecting after her excellent junior career.
The transition not like back in the day. First the tour has more depth and style of play and the social media distractions and overall media outlets cause more pressure so I think she will take a few years and she will get there she is no good player and has a track record of success .... Gauff is much bigger and just as quick and faster so I expect her to move up faster

I believe she will have agood year

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Tough loss for Buz. Hope she has more success at the the ITF in Fujairah next week. Might make up for this loss, slightly.
Doc Buzz needs to play in all the ITFs she can find in order to get her game back.
When Buzz went from 6-2, 5-2to 5-5 in the 2nd set, I turned the match off.
Buzz had gone completely brain dead.
At 32 y/o her pro tennis time is slipping away. With slipping on a wet baseline in 2018 and destroying her ankle just before the USO, and covid in 2020, Buzz is under a lot of internal mental pressure to do well immediately. Up 5-2 in the second set and only needing a handful of points to be in the AO main draw, she mentally collapsed. Buzz has always had emotional problems on the court with any little thing sending her off.
On her rocket raise to #20 from nowhere, Buzz played almost every week. It appeared that Buzz, after being out of pro tennis for about 5 years, was trying to make up for lost time. She needs to go back to playing a lot of events.

·
Registered
221 Posts
So happy it happened, now if only we can rid ourselves of that other overrated midget Romanian. 😊
[/QUOTE]

She's 1.75 what the hell are you talking about?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts