41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
20,143 Posts

Reactions: jimbo mack

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Honestly, for Ana, this isn't a bad thing. I'm not sure if right now what she needs is flying to the other side of the world, not hitting a ball for 2 weeks and then suddenly throwing herself against slam level competition, potentially a top 50 player so soon. Perhaps she would've risen to the occasion, and it would've been great to see her there, but I still think in the long run it's better for her to step back down for the time being and continue to build her confidence. She came a set away from the maindraw, so it's hardly blown her confidence, and 3 consecutive matches against top 200 competition will have only helped.

As for Errani, whilst I would've preferred to see Konjuh through, I have to give her credit for finding a way yet again. It's NID at this point that every main tour level win is going to be a struggle, but she is often finding a way now and if she can continue this trend of qualifying for slams and maybe winning a round, pretty soon she might find herself a top 100 player again, which would be quite an achievement considering she's 34 in April and without a serve.
BUT, she missed out on the big money from being in the AO main draw.
After being out of tennis for two years she probably would like to have a few pennies in her pocket.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hopefully, Tortellini draws Serena or Osaka etc. 1R and we end this mess.
She will reach the 3rd round. She will beat Rodionova 75 at third set and she will receive a walkover on 2nd after Collins will test positive after a crazy rave party the night before . She will be crushed by whatever opponent will face the 3rd round. Forza Sara, c...o !!!! :) :) :)

·
Registered
759 Posts
I hope Konjuh enters some ITF elsewhere during the AO season, aiming to get in the top 300 as a start.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
But there is also her long-standing working relationship with Dr. Luis Garcia del Moral.
It is a shame that athletes still could work with del Moral in 2016/7 almost 20 years after he helped Lance win that first Tour de France...Which makes me wonder about others from Tennis Valencia at the time like Ostapenko. It's also a shame that some of his former known clients like Ferrer or the Safins have never been bothered by the (spanish) authorities. Not to mention FC Valencia, FC Barcelona, Once (Olano, Jalabert), US Postal etc ... Same for the Fuentes clients

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
But there is also her long-standing working relationship with Dr. Luis Garcia del Moral.
yes who had an association at the Valencia academy where she trained along with players like Dinara Safina, Maria Kirilenko and David Ferrer. Haven't heard anybody say they're guilty by the same association.

there has never been any link drawn between that doctor and the positive test Errani had for the cancer treatment drug. to my knowledge she has been clean in every other test throughout her career and publicly condemned the doctor and acknowledged it was a bad look for her to have had anything to do with him. like I said I'm not some Errani fanboy and often find her behaviour repugnant.

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
Ana did well to win two rounds and almost make it to the AO, she's still outside the top 400 in the rankings and relied on a QWC to get here at all. She's not quite up to WTA Tour/ slam level yet, which Errani certainly is. Hopefully she will get some sort of WC or QWC into the $60k Andrezieux-Boutheon ITF at the end of the month, which will attract a lot of the players who lost in AO qualies like her and are not on the planes to Oz.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts