6,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Onto the AO MD. :love:

Reactions: Wiggly

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
WD Tsveti :love:

Rita has good chances to make it as a LL :)

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
Happy for her!
She’s not at her US Open level though.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Happy for her!
She’s not at her US Open level though.
It's true. She is too good for the qualifications (although I have to admit she had a very very soft section) but still that wonky FH was an eyesore, it could've been exploited by someone else in the draw. Also her serve in the Q was not nearly as good as it was in New York, I have to say, numbers around ~50% 1st serves IN and 37% in her first match. :censored:

Reactions: Phil=)

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
This was the toughest one for me cheer for. I'd love to see Gasparyan get back into the top 100 after all her injury problems but I'm just so happy for Pironkova that I'll imagine it wasn't Gasparyan up against her.

Pironkova definitely wasn't as sharp as she was in her US Open run, but hopefully the courts in Melbourne will be a quick adjustment and she'll get her serve cranking again. She shouldn't be getting dragged into long rallies if she can avoid it and her serve percentage was low all week, risking attack if she faced tougher opponents.

Still, great sign that she's getting into slams on the basis of her current ranking, not a PR during a tournament with a number of absences or hoping for a wildcard. Ideally she'll get back into the top 100, or maybe even top 75, by the time the Australian swing is through.

·
Registered
12,258 Posts
Great to know Pironkova will be in the MD - with her history of upsets and slam runs, she’s not a name any opponent will want to face in the first round.

·
Registered
759 Posts
This next Australian swing will be so important...if she can gain about 200 points in the next few tournaments, she will be around 90 rank and be able to enter slams and Miami MD without having to go through qualifiers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's true. She is too good for the qualifications (although I have to admit she had a very very soft section) but still that wonky FH was an eyesore, it could've been exploited by someone else in the draw. Also her serve in the Q was not nearly as good as it was in New York, I have to say, numbers around ~50% 1st serves IN and 37% in her first match. :censored:
I haven’t followed the dying rankings system all that much since it was effectively murdered last year but my instincts were screaming at me “how is Pirru not in MD” automatically.

I guess this will now take her out of the qualies for another year at least.

·
Registered
32,540 Posts
Well done to Hardonkova! Excited to see her in Melbourne.

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
Gasparyan just made too many errors at the end and Pironkova hit a lovely volley. I hope Margarita gets an LL spot.

·
Stanning for Andi
20,884 Posts
I haven’t followed the dying rankings system all that much since it was effectively murdered last year but my instincts were screaming at me “how is Pirru not in MD” automatically.

I guess this will now take her out of the qualies for another year at least.
This is only her third tournament since her comeback! But she should be able to use her protected ranking for tour events later thus year if she still needs to use it.

Reactions: Silasson

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
This is only her third tournament since her comeback! But she should be able to use her protected ranking for tour events later thus year if she still needs to use it.

Her SR ranking is 123....

With these new AO QR points her actual ranking is pretty much going to be right around that, with heaps of opportunity to increase it once she is in Australia...

I.e she probably won't need to use it for any more events as her actual ranking will be the same or higher.

·
Registered
52,953 Posts
so many good, solid, marquee names qualifying (y)
well done to her ! after her exploits in NY and Paris, would have been a shame had she failed to qualify here- and she did it in quite some way (y)

·
Stanning for Andi
20,884 Posts
Her SR ranking is 123....

With these new AO QR points her actual ranking is pretty much going to be right around that, with heaps of opportunity to increase it once she is in Australia...

I.e she probably won't need to use it for any more events as her actual ranking will be the same or higher.
Ah, I thought her SR was much higher than that.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts