Banned
48,006 Posts
Going to play her 3rd consecutivec Slam Maindtaw :bananas: Top 100 soon
Go snatch those wigs :hearts:

·
Registered
18,240 Posts
DavidLawTennis
Laura Robson is like a left-handed Lindsay Davenport. Not a great mover but destructively powerful with both serve and groundstrokes. 6-1.

.___. Why do Brits do this. Why.

Laura is so monumentally unathletic. It's actually sad because she could have been really good if not for that.

·
Registered
36,223 Posts
I thought Savchuk would be better, but she really only played decent in the second set.

Laura was funny, though, saying at least she didn't need 11 matchpoints this time. :lol:

·
Registered
48,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Not too many problems for Laura today. A minor wobble when she dropped serve in the 2nd set but she recovered very quickly. Savchuk couldn't handle the pace really and her second serve wasn't up to much.

Great to see Laura qualify!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I wish Laura would play a game where at no point my heart is anywhere near my mouth. Can't take the stress. Still that first set was incredible, lost her focus in the middle of the second but got it back in the end. Hopefully she can get a win or two in the main draw and get closer to the top 100.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
DavidLawTennis
Laura Robson is like a left-handed Lindsay Davenport. Not a great mover but destructively powerful with both serve and groundstrokes. 6-1.

Laura is so monumentally unathletic. It's actually sad because she could have been really good if not for that.
From where I was sitting, Laura's lack of athleticism didn't seem to be at the top of her list of shortcomings tonight. At the moment it's more likely that she'll lose a match because she lost focus and/or got angry at herself than because she has the natural athleticism of a turtle. Though the former's probably more fixable. But I'm about as far from a tennis expert as it's possible to be so take that with a pinch of salt.

And we brits do the massive hyping for two reasons. 1) we don't have that much to shout about, so someone like Robson who is a pretty darn good tennis player comes along we'll rant and rave about it and be completely unrealistic about her and 2) we like to complain. So when she doesn't live up to the unrealistic expectations we can enjoy having a good moan... and then start building her up again to repeat the cycle.

·
Registered
25,370 Posts
Laura really needs stuff like this, to play qualies and win matches. she had too many wildcards too young and she has lost out on being a great competitor through battling out matches.

·
Premium Member
182,163 Posts
well done Laura :yeah: :cheer:

·
Amateur Volleyer
32,248 Posts
DavidLawTennis

:help::help::help:

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
Her serve and groundstrokes are strong but not Davenport strong. Her first serve averages 160km/h and I don't think she reached 170km/h the entire match. Laura did hit many return winners and lots of 1-2 punches set up by serve followed with FH DTL, reminiscent of Davy I suppose. Still, definitely won't overpower players.

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
Laura :yeah: :banana:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts