• Storm Hunter AUS
  • The next two will be in QD in their own right
  • Olivia Gadecki AUS
  • Astra Sharma AUS
  • Qdwc
  • Lizette Cabrera AUS
  • Destanee Aiava AUS
  • Talia Gibson AUS
  • Zoe Hives AUS (hoping they don’t make her use her SR)
  • Kayla McPhee
  • Bozovic
  • Maybe Hule
  • Perhaps a last chance for Perez
  • Mendez- if fit

· Premium Member
20,250 Posts
FYI, the 18s event is on this week, and looking at the line up I hope the winner does NOT get a QWC 😬

Some bigger names understandably missing as there’s no point in them playing this anymore (Gibson, Preston, CKP), but there are still several top juniors who are skipping it, such as Jones, Taylor and Fairclough. It’s easily the worst field I’ve seen in the National 18s

QF line up is

Anya Nayar v Cassidy Mataia
Elim Yan v Elena Micic
Elicia Kim v Stefani Webb
Alana Subasic v Jessie Culley

· Premium Member
20,250 Posts
Stefani Webb plays Elim Yan in the 18s final.

The winner may very well get a WC into AOQ. According to disclaimer at bottom of entry list, wildcard prizes yet to be determined lol.

· Registered
81,857 Posts
Stefani Webb plays Elim Yan in the 18s final.

The winner may very well get a WC into AOQ. According to disclaimer at bottom of entry list, wildcard prizes yet to be determined lol.
They say that every year so I think they just determine it based on the winner. :LOL:

I think there have been a few times in past years where they just end up giving the winner a MDWC into the junior AO event.

· Premium Member
20,250 Posts
Yeah, they hedge their bets to see who wins lol

I do remember it was a MDWC reward for a few years, back when we had loads of top juniors 5-7 years ago. No way in hell that’s gonna happen now 😆

· Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The AO is lacking big names: Barty, Serena, Halep, Kerber. Unfortunately, I reckon they’ll give Venus a wildcard, along with Dominic Thiem.

· Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Based on votes, the wildcards will be going to:
  • Hon. Age 24, CHR 118, 3 previous AO wildcards
  • Fourlis, Age 23, CHR 147, 2 previous AO wildcards
  • Birrell. Age 24, CHR 154, 3 previous AO wildcards
  • Inglis. Age 24, CHR 112, 3 previous AO wildcards
  • Hunter. Age 28, CHR 119, 4 previous AO wildcards

I really think we need to throw one to Gadecki in attempt to escalate her career progression.

· Registered
18,916 Posts
I mean Venus is a legend of the game. But it seems like she genuinely can’t keep a half competitive level for more than 30 minutes. Nor does she stay healthy or attempt to compete on the tour at a semi-regular level to actually improve her form. I respect that may not be possible due to her autoimmune disease and age, and it’s crazy how well she’s done despite those, but if that’s the case then she shouldn’t take up space in the draw.

Stuff Gadecki, she’s plateaued anyway. Hon and Fourlis had some very solid results last year and could use the springboard. Storm’s talent and her BJK cup heroics clearly make her a MDWC, while Birrell has done well coming back from injury too.

Inglis is of course the only questionable one but she showed some decent form in the Aussie ITF swing and was a set off R16 AO last year.

Know this sentiment was echoed last year but it really feels like a make or break year for most of these girls. Storm at least has the injuries, big wins and doubles pedigree as an excuse, but Pri and Jaimee have been “potential top 100” for years, not sure what they can fall back on if they stay in this ranking range for another year.

· Premium Member
20,250 Posts
Hmmm, Gadecki is 20 and has only been on tour for 2 years. If she’s plateaued, then how do we describe the others (who have 4-5 years on her)? 😬

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think she deserves one yet, but I don’t put her in the same category as the others because she’s still green. The others have had countless opportunities to do something, and they haven’t. Also, I think she has a fantastic work ethic. She’s not a social media showgirl, and is willing to spend several consecutive months overseas grinding away.

Tbh, I want them all in qualies. They’ve been spoilt enough for years. Hmph 😑

#oldmanyellsatcloud

· Premium Member
20,250 Posts
Also, another thing with Gadecki. She still managed to improve her year end rank by 30 spots. Yes she could’ve finished higher as she slipped a bit towards the end, but that’s still a positive.

I’m also impressed she managed to make the 150s on the back of zero wildcards and the money that goes with it.

· Registered
1,174 Posts
I mean Venus is a legend of the game. But it seems like she genuinely can’t keep a half competitive level for more than 30 minutes. Nor does she stay healthy or attempt to compete on the tour at a semi-regular level to actually improve her form. I respect that may not be possible due to her autoimmune disease and age, and it’s crazy how well she’s done despite those, but if that’s the case then she shouldn’t take up space in the draw.

Stuff Gadecki, she’s plateaued anyway. Hon and Fourlis had some very solid results last year and could use the springboard. Storm’s talent and her BJK cup heroics clearly make her a MDWC, while Birrell has done well coming back from injury too.

Inglis is of course the only questionable one but she showed some decent form in the Aussie ITF swing and was a set off R16 AO last year.

Know this sentiment was echoed last year but it really feels like a make or break year for most of these girls. Storm at least has the injuries, big wins and doubles pedigree as an excuse, but Pri and Jaimee have been “potential top 100” for years, not sure what they can fall back on if they stay in this ranking range for another year.
I honestly think this should be Hon, Inglis, Sanders, Birrell and possibly Cabrera last WC, it's been ground hog day with them for several years. They have a couple of decent tournaments, then have average results for months on end, all mid 20s now so it's highly unlikely they will be too 100. I would only chuck them one last bone because the other youngsters (Gadecki, Preston, Gibson etc) are probably not quite ready.

1 - 20 of 285 Posts