Tennis Forum banner

AO 2021: Which players will breach quarantine and be removed from the country?

• Danielle Collins

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Novak Djokovic

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • Kiki Mladenovic

Votes: 25 30.1%
  • Benoit Paire

Votes: 38 45.8%
  • Dominic Thiem

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Donna Vekic

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Alex Zverev

Votes: 29 34.9%
  • One of the US coronabros (Querrey, Isner, Sock and whoever else is in that basket)

Votes: 45 54.2%
  • Other (please specify in comments)

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • No one. Everyone will miraculously follow the rules!

Votes: 10 12.0%
81 - 100 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
17,184 Posts
With some of the coronabros out (possibly because they don't want to wear masks and quarantine?), who's next?
So far it is just Isner who he is out . Yes , he said he doesn’t want to travel without his family. C Harrison doesn’t have the ranking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
So far it is just Isner who he is out . Yes , he said he doesn’t want to travel without his family. C Harrison doesn’t have the ranking.
Chris Harrison has apparently had eight separate surgeries over the last couple of years and is finally ready to resume his career. However, he is in trouble with the ATP and Delray Beach management for refusing to do a press conference wearing a mask after beating top seed Cristian Garin. He also refused to wear a mask entering and leaving the court, despite that being part of the tournament protocols (someone posted the relevant tweet in another thread). I know that he and his brother are huge Trump supporters, but why didn't the tournament supervisor just give him a final warning and then disqualify him?

I don't think any of the women (even Mladenovic) have been so self-centered that they would potentially jeopardise their participation by not following what's a pretty simple and harmless rule.

·
Banned
396 Posts
Wear a mask it not that hard
Yes wear it at all times as it clearly helps to beat COVID. But you cannot argue that a tournament is forcing you to wear a mask when you are making no contact whatsoever with anyone but then they allow you to take it off and do whatever you want isn't for "pretending" for camera.

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
I agree you should wear a mask and seeing how victoria has become the most covid free place in the world by its mandatory mask use it cleary works but being forced to wear it for like 2 minutes when no one is near you for tv and then your allowed to take it off is purely for tv reasons and to avoid backlash.
It's not just for two minutes. It's at ALL TIMES when not actually in position to warm up or play (i.e. from the moment you leave the hotel room until you get back there after the match, including all your time at the stadium).

·
Banned
396 Posts
It's not just for two minutes. It's at ALL TIMES when not actually in position to warm up or play (i.e. from the moment you leave the hotel room until you get back there after the match, including all your time at the stadium).
No that american tournament hasn't mandated wearing of masks.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
So why don't the umpires wear masks?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
They do when they're not sitting in their chairs, the same as in Abu Dhabi (at least, in the matches I've seen).
So you (and all the others) are okay with umpires potentially spitting on ballboys who are below them and you are okay with players sweating and probably spitting on the court for a couple of hours, but those very same players on the very same court should not walk for 10 seconds there without a mask? (Yes, I know there is a corridor but come on, it's for few seconds and no one speaks there)

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
LMAO it's obvious u can't defend it cuz it makes no sense.
The ball kids could be instructed to ensure they keep their distance from the umpire chair and players at all times. The umpire has a microphone if they need to get their message across. If there are situations where the ball kids and umpires do need to be closer eg when they bring out new balls, they can put on a mask. It's not rocket science.

81 - 100 of 157 Posts