Tennis Forum banner

561 - 580 of 602 Posts

·
Registered
33,008 Posts
I think you know that that's not what I was saying. She has confronted Serena 9 times on the court, meaning she shouldn't still be in awe of her to such a degree that she can't muster the courage (in her own words) to do something simple like tweet the word "Congratulations" to her. This possibly implies inferiority complex issues that may be part of the reason she has had trouble winning a GS, in general.
Well you thought wrong.

Reactions: Miranda

·
Registered
25,208 Posts
The more I saw, the more I find Simona actually looking quite good and cute. The weakness is her nose a bit too big. True, she is not as pretty as Sharapova but she looks fine. May be she is not outspoken and a bit short, otherwise it is easy for her to find a lot of sponsors.

·
7,502 Posts
That's an eye-brow raiser, how much courage does it take to congratulate someone on giving birth? Simona's a bit of an eccentric, isn't she?
Dude, they've played each other nine...times. Well, it's no wonder, then. Think how many GSes she'd have under her belt without this inferiority complex.
Dude, I know Simona well enough to say that here you're a bit off with your assumptions. Maybe it cultural, maybe it's personal - both in her case of shying away, as well as yours to seek dirt in it. I'm also originally from Romania, and there this behavior is far from being "eccentric" or being rooted in an inferiority complex. It's about showing respect and propriety by giving people space. I would also shy away to congratulate someone much more famous then I am, surrounded by much closer friends than I appear to be. It can well be that while Serena has made some appreciative remarks of Simona in public (as I'm sure she has her respect after YEC'14), but they probably haven't interacted much privately otherwise. I can easily see Simona wondering "who am I to impose and force a friendship with her?". It's the typical humble & introvert kind who needs to be invited into a friendship, otherwise won't do much to 'force' her way in. Not to mention that in the world of stars there are a lot of fake suck-ups and Simona strikes me as the type that would rather not say anything, than say something that at any level would appear like just sucking up for the sake of getting closer (in Romania, but I'm sure elsewhere too, people come to congratulate you if they are close family & friends - people you want to see around you in those moments - or if they are fake suck-ups who want something from you; if Simo didn't feel like she's part of the former group, she didn't want to appear as part of the latter). I understand that, because I am the same... And I AGREE it's not an ideal mentality, probably rooted in a mix of cultural upbringing (too much accent on humbleness & shyness?) and personal insecurities. I wish I was different... and I'm trying to be different, but it's not easy to change oneself.

So I'm not defending the fact that what she did was the right thing to do (well, to not do), but just the fact there was no eccentric weirdness or disrespect from her in being too shy to jump with a message as well. Sometimes we don't do things also out of too much respect for a person. "Am I really one of the people she considers close, that she'd like to receive a message in these moments?" But then, when Serena opened the door through her congratulating tweet, Simo finally felt comfortable enough to reply back and congratulate her as well (and possibly also regretting she hasn't done it sooner... just as I am sometimes when reality shows there was actually no reason for me to shy away).

Also, the very fact that she related the episode, is a proof of her innocent genuineness. Had she been more dishonest about her respect and feelings towards Serena, we would have gotten a much more diplomatic answer on that.

Do you want to find in that personality type reason of why she hasn't won a slam yet? Fine... there may be some truth in it, but you were putting it just too negatively (or a bit insensitive cultural-wise). Plus, she seems to be improving in many respects lately, including the mental, so let's just wait and see if she keeps that up. Because if she does, that slam is only a matter of time.

·
Registered
25,208 Posts
thank you so much FreeSpiritRebell for these lovely photos. Always enjoyed seeing people being so happy :bigclap: . I especially like those with her father. He looks like a very nice man. I wish Halep will get to win soon :yeah:

Reactions: FreeSpiritRebell

·
Registered
25,208 Posts
Congrats Mimi I know you were waiting a long time :D.
Thank you. I find Caroline looking very sweet and cheerful (I read/knew a bit that she sometimes did not behave not so well with the empire etc but I just think no one is perfect on court as all want to win so badly :p) and I have great sympathy with her being dumped by that ugly man :rolleyes:

Reactions: Shadowcat

·
Registered
15,069 Posts
what the hell is this being all nice to each other guys? We are supposed to fight, diss each other.....have you all forgot about rivalry? i dont want to live in a world with bunch of nice people

·
Registered
558 Posts
what the hell is this being all nice to each other guys? We are supposed to fight, diss each other.....have you all forgot about rivalry? i dont want to live in a world with bunch of nice people

561 - 580 of 602 Posts