1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woz.............upset by Jabeur(who?)
Serena....... upset by Q Wang(who?)
Osaka.........upset by Gauff(a 15 y/o?)
Keys...........upset by Sakkari( what's who in linear B?)
-
This has to be one of the biggest upset days of the top WTA stars in Grand Slam history.
Three Grand Slam champions and one GS finalist busted in one day.

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
Truly a case of "another one bites the dust ..."

·
Registered
27,371 Posts
E
Woz.............upset by Jabeur(who?)
Serena....... upset by Q Wang(who?)
Osaka.........upset by Gauff(a 15 y/o?)
Keys...........upset by Sakkari( what's who in linear B?)
-
This has to be one of the biggest upset days of the top WTA stars in Grand Slam history.
Three Grand Slam champions and one GS finalist busted in one day.
Eh, Jabeur and Sakkari winning made me happy. They have so much more game than Woz and Keys and are infinitely more entertaining to watch.
I couldn’t care less about them not being “stars”. Particularly, Jabeur finally breaking through is great for tennis, specially coming from such an infrarepresented continent as Africa.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Really not sure who I want to make the final in this top half now. I was half expecting either Serena and Osaka making the final, and while I'd have prefered Naomi, I was fine with either. I probably like Sakkari best of the remaining 9, but she's not really grand slam final material (it would be very random), and I do like Gauff, but again, I'd rather it was a more structured rise for her, and while it would be a huge story, and would obviously capture headlines worldwide, I wouldn't really want Gauff in a slam final at 15.

I probably hope Kvitova gets there again, but she's the type of player who's not one of my faves, but just someone who I don't mind, and as she's a good palyer, I like her to take out players that I don't particularly like, if you know what I mean.

This has been the worst single day of results for me personally at this stage of a slam that I can remember for quite some time, so many have gone the other way - expecting Zhang to add to the woes later as well...

·
Premium Member
27,115 Posts
If I was a tournament organiser I would be in ruins...it certainly makes the event less interesting having these stars knocked out. Pretty much every result today except Ash and Petra was not the result I wanted in terms of future tournament interest.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
The top and bottom are totally open. Barty faces Riske next and she is 0-2 against her. Kvitova seems on, but it can go at any moment in any match. Sakkari playing so well.

Kerber, Simona, Bencic, Pliskova on the bottom half.

Looking at the R4 matches, those are toss ups. This is literally anyone's slam for the taking. Maiden winner?? There's a good chance. Only Barty, Kerber, Muguruza, Halep and Kvitova are left of GS winners.

Aside from Simo, all these players are up next against players in great form. Kvitova has Sakkari, Muguruza has Svitolina, Pliskova has Pavlyuchenkova, Barty has Riske, Kerber has Giorgi....Simo should navigate Poots.

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
If I was a tournament organiser I would be in ruins...it certainly makes the event less interesting having these stars knocked out. Pretty much every result today except Ash and Petra was not the result I wanted in terms of future tournament interest.
Craig also lost Tsitsipas, hopefully he doesn’t lose Federer.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Some others to consider:

Tsitsipas Out
Federer fighting at 1 set all
Bautista Agut lost
Querrey lost to Sandgren
Perez/Stosur (defending champion) lost
Herbert/Mahut (1) lost

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
If I was a tournament organiser I would be in ruins...it certainly makes the event less interesting having these stars knocked out. Pretty much every result today except Ash was not the result I wanted in terms of future tournament interest.
Yep, Serena vs Woz (24 vs retirement) was a big standout RLA match, whereas Jabeur vs Wang, while great for their respective fans, is more of a Court 3 / 1573 match at best.

You've obviosuly got the Aussie connection, and it's good for the tournament that Ash is still there, and also good for the WTA that it's #1 player has made it, but I'm personally not a fan, and Rybakina is one of my favourite players, and while I wasn't expecting her to win, both Gauff (7/2) and Wang (6/1) were longer odds than her (3/1) to pull off the upset, yet I've ended with 3 preferred players going out, and 2 of them were 'supposed' to go through - why couldn't it have been the other way round, ha. There's something about Riske that annoys me, and I've never taken to Jabeur, so that literally is 5/5 going out. As I said earlier, I do prefer Sakkari to Keys, but Keys probably had more chance of taking out some of these players. It basically leaves Kvitova which would be a bit meh for me.

I've still got runners in the bottom half (for now), but this hasn't half deflated me, especially as I've looked forward to the tournament for ages, and there's not another slam for 4 months, which never helps, at least if the French or Wimbledon go bad, there's another just around the corner.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Kerber now the only former champion left in the women's draw.

I think we'll be getting a new champion, maybe a new slam winner.

·
Registered
14,702 Posts
Serena losing to the first decent player that she found herself up against wasn't surprising.

Nor was Wozniacka's loss.

Gauff d. Osaka I was fully expecting as Gauff is clever and an excellent match player while Osaka is dumb and has zero point construction skills - I'm just surprised the match wasn't closer.

Only surprise was Keys losing to Sakkari, but then again is a random loss from Keys all that surprising?

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Serena losing to the first decent player that she found herself up against wasn't surprising.

Nor was Wozniacka's loss.

Gauff d. Osaka I was fully expecting as Gauff is clever and an excellent match player while Osaka is dumb and has zero point construction skills - I'm just surprised the match wasn't closer.

Only surprise was Keys losing to Sakkari, but then again is a random loss from Keys all that surprising?
She beat the same player 0 and 1 in 44 mins less than 4 months ago, and was 1/10 on to win - it was a huge surprise!

·
La nuit je mens
87,071 Posts
Still nothing on June the 26th of 2013.

Federer, Tsonga, Cilic, Isner. Azarenka, Sharapova, Ivanovic, Wozniacki and Jankovic.
All disappearing on the same day. And Nadal was already gone.
Oh Wimbledon 2013. That was something else.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Most relevant players are still in play, Barty, Kvitova, Kerber, Halep and Pliskova are still playing and Gauff is already gaining popularity.

For anyone who´s been following Serena this year and even with that cakewalk they gave her, it comes as a no surprise she´s out this early, and really it would be ridiculous for the organisers to depend on a 38 woman to sell tickets, same for Sharapova who may receive all the WC they want to give her but everybody knows she will hardly win more than two or three matches.

As for Osaka, she was not at her best but she´s just one of many top seeds, not a big deal if she loses

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Kenin has somewhat aved it as far as I'm concerned as Sofia vs Coco is a match I'd like to see, and am looking forward to.

I think I'd like to see Kenin in the final now, although it's still a long shot, but she'll probably be favourite to make the semis.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I almost thought Kenin would join the list with the way her match against Zhang started with a massive 1-4 lead in the first set. Good she turned things around though but the next round against Coco will be tricky.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not to put too fine a point on this but the opening poster is obviously only considering his/her local time zone. The date of this doomsday is actually 01/24/20.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts