Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Banned
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These were my 2 fave Slovak players. Do you guys remember them, whats your opinion.

Henrieta had great potential but never lived up to it :sad:

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Nagyova excelled at smaller Tier IV/V events. I think she won about 9 in her career; she just didnt do anything big at the higher tiers.

·
Registered
54,550 Posts
Don't intend to be mean but Nagyova was just a pusher who couldn't do much against the big players. She had a decent career winning several Tier IV-V but her record against top players was :help: Even winning all these tournament wasn't enough to reach the top 20.

Habsudova was a much better player who used to go for her shots and was a very difficult player to play against :worship:

·
Banned
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't intend to be mean but Nagyova was just a pusher who couldn't do much against the big players. She had a decent careers winning several Tier IV-V but her record against top players was :help: Even winning all these tournament wasn't enough to be reach the top 20.

Habsudova was a much better player who used to go for her shots and was a very difficult player to play against :worship:
I was a lot younger when Karina was playing so don't really remember her style. Just remember a few of her matches from Hopman Cup where she pushed Seles and I think Clijsters.

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
of course i remember them. habsudova had that amazing year in 96 which eventually earned her a spot in top 10 early 97. nagyova just missed out on getting to the top 20 but won loads of small tournaments, i think ?9. but didnt have as much success in the big ones. i remember her causing a shock comfortably beating seles in indian wells 99. god, i miss these 90's players :(

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
Don't intend to be mean but Nagyova was just a pusher who couldn't do much against the big players. She had a decent career winning several Tier IV-V but her record against top players was :help: Even winning all these tournament wasn't enough to reach the top 20.

habsudova wasnt exactly a power player either lol

although she had a good first serve when she was playing her best

·
Banned
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
of course i remember them. habsudova had that amazing year in 96 which eventually earned her a spot in top 10 early 97. nagyova just missed out on getting to the top 20 but won loads of small tournaments, i think ?9. but didnt have as much success in the big ones. i remember her causing a shock comfortably beating seles in indian wells 99. god, i miss these 90's players :(
So do I, I get so nostalgic thinking about it.

Players like Maria Sanchez Lorenzo, Barbara Schett, Silvia Farina, Irina Spirlea, Mary Pierce, Sabine Appelmans, just too name a few :sad:

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
So do I, I get so nostalgic thinking about it.

Players like Maria Sanchez Lorenzo, Barbara Schett, Silvia Farina, Irina Spirlea, Mary Pierce, Sabine Appelmans, just too name a few :sad:
paulus, zvereva, huber, tauziat, van roost, testud, majoli, mag, man and kat maleeva, studenikova, basuki, gigi and mary joe fernandez, oremans, boogert, coetzer, dragomir, werdel witmeyer, raymond, po :hearts: the list could go on and on

·
Registered
54,550 Posts
habsudova wasnt exactly a power player either lol
Karina was definetely a power player back in the mid 90's. Of course, nothing like today players (but hey, that's 10-15 years later) but she was one of the best hard hitters at that time (esp. her forehand). I remember how Arantxa had to moonball all the way to victory in QF of Roland Garros one year as her only option to win that match while the Frenchies were getting hysterical booing every point...

·
Your fav could never....
9,154 Posts
Nagyova - End of season Pattaya City queen :worship:

Won the final title of the WTA season twice and reached 1 final.

And btw Nagyova beat the then 3rd ranked Monica Seles at 1999 Indian Wells so she wasn't such a bad player :D

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
Karina was definetely a power player back in the mid 90's. Of course, nothing like today players (but hey, that's 10-15 years later) but she was one of the best hard hitters at that time (esp. her forehand). I remember how Arantxa had to moonball all the way to victory in QF of Roland Garros one year as her only option to win that match while the Frenchies were getting hysterical booing every point...
habsudova was never referred to as a power player, she was much more of a pusher. if habsudova was a power player then so was hingis.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
I remember both and they were decent players. Seles broke her finger while playing in an exo against Habsudova which took her out for awhile.

·
Registered
54,550 Posts
habsudova was never referred to as a power player, she was much more of a pusher. if habsudova was a power player then so was hingis.
Then 98% of the Top 100 players were pushers. We are talking about the early, mid 90's and from that time only Seles (and Pierce whenever she could get the ball in) could be considered power players. I believe we can only talk about power players in a broad sense since the Williamses.

·
Registered
16,443 Posts
Habsudova was definately not a pusher. :rolleyes: Not even for today's standards.

·
Premium Member
28,048 Posts
I think Nagyova is training Kucova´s sister now, or not?:shrug:

All Slovaks retired too young:sad:(without Husarova, but she has many injuries too - she had 7 meniskus operation:sad:

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I remember Habsudova's epic match in the QF at RG against Sanchez which went 10-8 in Sanchez's favor..:sad:.. Habsudova had a great 1996, she beat Huber and Hingis mutiple times and lost 7-5 in the 3rd to Graf at the Berlin Final..

1 - 20 of 81 Posts