Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tennis players are people, some people are wonderful, but some people are bad....... :(

OMG, H-E-L-L-O.......that includes tennis players!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So who showed their true colors and was mean to u when u met them?????

I'll start with peter fleming (who is famous for playing with JMcE). At a daviscup match practice session, when asked to sign autographs by a small crowd, he was such a complete asshole, when fans drew close to johny macs Kit Bag, that I thought I'd puke. Unfortunately I didnt manage to puke on his grumpy head... :) :) :)

So who else has......... tennass-hole stories

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
yeah, i'm not going to share my story but you are definitely right, there are some very good tennis players who are very bad people. And guess what, when the end of their tennis playing days inevitably arrives, all they have left for the rest of their lives is the fact that as an individual they totally suck.

·
Registered
24,737 Posts
justine is really rude to fans (didnt wave or smile for a picture while walking by fans) she didnt even have a match that day, and she never signs after matches

todd martin=major jerk... don't buy the nice guy thing. hes playing in the us, has about 5 fans watching his practice, signs 2 of the 5 balls afterword and explains for abt a minute how he doesn't have time for a really big fan of his (i talked to her, and she was pretty distraught after it went down) so yeah-- major asshole

chanda rubin is a big bitch too. she did the same thing as justine (when she had no match that day AND had already been eliminated from singles) but as she walked by-- she put her hand out to keep ppl from approaching her.

daniela- cold as ice.

i never talked to any of these players, so i dont know a whole lot about their true personalities... but the chanda thing really ticked me off. playing in your home country, already out of the tournament-- you're lucky ppl want your autograph and are willing to wait for it.

the nice ones--

jennifer :eek: i was surprised. she signs for everybody and at least pretends to listen to the fans... doesnt make eye contact, though

roger- nice guy. THANKS fans while signing autographs... i think that says it all.

conchita is giggle and pretty funny... very laid back (then again, i saw her after she was eliminated in singles... so)

·
Registered
24,737 Posts
very true-- thats why i presented it as from what i observed... and compared to the others-- some seemed to be very very bad ppl. roger signed autographs and took pictures with fans past midnight... henin walks by and has less fans than roger...

·
Registered
22,715 Posts
I don't know...if I were an athlete I'd get tired of all the in-your-face "sign this! sign this!" Sometimes it becomes too much.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tennis Fool said:
I don't know...if I were an athlete I'd get tired of all the in-your-face "sign this! sign this!" Sometimes it becomes too much.

TF!
please
these folk earn millions for shag all.

This money doesnt fall off of trees cos they won a tennis match. It comes directly or indirectly from tennis fans. The players are basically paid by the fans and they owe them.

Petulent, sulky displays are just not acceptable............

I feel sorry for a player that struggles to make the top 100 . But a player that is in the top ten, they get so much for doing something that I love doing in my spare time, I think they can put up with writing some autographs for the people that are putting money in their pockets.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Tennis Fool said:
I remember I was casually walking alongside Venus Williams (didn't intend to, just turned for a sec and realized she was right there (long legs = longer strides, I guess)). Immediately, a couple of fans descended on her and were so "in her face" and bugging her to sign things. She didn't even seem to acknowledge anyone was near her and her handler had to push them away.

I was thinking, "damn, I would've slapped those fans."

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
arcus said:
But a player that is in the top ten, they get so much for doing something that I love doing in my spare time, I think they can put up with writing some autographs for the people that are putting money in their pockets.
That's what those autograph signing booth things are for.

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
cynicole said:
They get to tedious waiting in line, suddenly someone telling the persons before you that this is where it stops. It's probably best to take your chances at waving something in their face.

It's much better in the smaller tournaments, a much smaller area, more publisized and that you can wait near the players room or lounge hoping one of them does come out.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lets be clear about this...........

Of course I dont mean that tennis players are in general bad. I mean that that some are good and some are not so good....

Sophisticated, savvy fans on this site can establish who the good guys are and, just as importantly, who the fakes, the bad guys ........

So my friends u are the tennis vigilantes...

time to spill the beans

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cynicole said:
I dont know how u make ur money... But I know better than to bite the hand that feeds me.

Pro-tennis struggles against other sports, especially in the US, and (illl say it again) the money comes ultimately from the fans.

So the players that reap the benefits.... owe the tour big time and they owe the fans most of all. Its not some kind of particular kindness that they agree to sign autographs, its a part of their job, a job that they are lucky to do, and a job for which they get very well paid.

I would point out that this responsbility includes the williams sisters who, as prominent representatives of womens tennis, should (of course, allowing for their current sad sad sad circumstance), IMHO, play more tour events so that more fans can see them in real life.

I respect their outisde interests, and their desire not to confront each other every week, but would do wellto remember who pays the piper..

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I just don't understand why fans feel like they are owed so much by the people they are fans of. Don't you get enough enjoyment just watching them play? Do you really need them to sign something for you to feel "special"?

If I should run into an actor while they're on a location shoot is it completely within limits to walk up to him and bug him to sign my notebook and expect him to be nice to me? I put the money in his pocket by buying a ticket to his movie.

arcus said:
I dont know how u make ur money... But I know better than to bite the hand that feeds me.
So if a certain player is not nice to you, you stop going to tennis tournaments?

So the players that reap the benefits.... owe the tour big time and they owe the fans most of all. Its not some kind of particular kindness that they agree to sign autographs, its a part of their job, a job that they are lucky to do, and a job for which they get very well paid.
And time is set aside for them to sign autographs at many events. I don't think you should expect them to sign for anyone at any time though.

I'm not saying that players shouldn't be signing autographs. I'm just saying that it's rather selfish of fans to expect players to "be nice and sign" when they should come across one another.

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
I agree that you can catch someone on a bad day or on a good day. We always get people saying one player was amazing and super nice and someone else saying they're a bitch :confused:

That being said I've only really had bad impressions of 2 players. First off Justine..just won her match and looked completely miserable..didn't smile at all and when she was signing a few autographs a couple of fans got pushed a little and ended up dropping something..Justine looked back a gave this extremely annoyed look while shaking her head in disapproval :eek: I don't know why it bothered her so much :confused:

Second player is Krasnoroutskaya. During her doubles match..if looks could kill..Vakulenko would be dead :eek: It made me shutter lol :p Julia just hit a volley into the body and Lina got her racket on it to deflect it away from her body..but was really pissed about it apparently :p

After the match (it wasn't a big court so you can basically stand next to the players if you want an autograph) a little girl asked Lina for her towel and Lina pretty much point blank said no :eek: However Dementieva turned around and threw hers to the girl so I suppose all was well in the end :p

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt though..they could've been having a bad day. I've heard Lina is really very sweet..she just wasn't that particular day I suppose :p

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
faboozadoo15 said:
justine is really rude to fans (didnt wave or smile for a picture while walking by fans) she didnt even have a match that day, and she never signs after matches
that's a lie, I've seen her in two tournaments and she does sign autographs.

and she is rude because she doesn't smile and wave?, she is not in a constant acting role like some other players.
daniela- cold as ice.
and you would know, I've seen Daniela and she looks quite nice to me.

i never talked to any of these players, so i dont know a whole lot about their true personalities... but the chanda thing really ticked me off. playing in your home country, already out of the tournament-- you're lucky ppl want your autograph and are willing to wait for it.
oh yes, she just lost in the first round of a Grand Slam and she is so happy. And sure, players are so lucky people want their autographs, I am sure that's why they became tennis players, to sign autographs :rolleyes:

roger- nice guy. THANKS fans while signing autographs... i think that says it all.
well, actually I saw him refusing to sign autographs, but don't judge him for that (it was in a practice btw).

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
If I was a famous tennis player I would also bitch at my fans! Why? Because my celebrity status would allow me to be rude with anyone I want and yet still they would keep on worshipping :worship: me and kissing :kiss: my lovely a$$.
Yeehaw! :banana:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.