Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the list on the old board, I remember.

Obviously Navratilova, Evert and Graf are on that list.

Others I could find (according to Tennis Corner):

ASV 741
Sabatini 624
Sukova 618
Conchita 616
Shriver 598
Zina G. 587
Tauziat 558
Seles 549 (almost!)

Tennis Corner obviously had inadequate records about King, Court, Wade, and others of that generation, so I'm not sure about them.

Have I forgotten any others? Thanks

·
Banned
5,664 Posts
I can verify that now..

Martina won:

1453 singles matches
1111 Doubles matches

·
25,427 Posts
Mishar-all the women you mentioned(Court, King ,and Wade) won well over 500-in fact King and Court over 1000 with Wade close to it. One reason(other than they were great ;) for that was that in the 1960's and early 1970s there were many more tournaments. Forget about PLAYING 21 events in one year. That's how many events King won in 1971:)

·
Banned
5,664 Posts
Yeah although many top players were rarely at the same tournaments...the women then were so busy spreading the word that way too many tournaments were played and also a lot never travelled. Although in 1973, watching martina navratilova's schedule was like watching a map of the world, one week russia, next week the states, perth, hamburg..it was total madness, the tour is much more regulated these days, thank god :)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
:eek: So many wins!!

Where's Hingis and Davenport? Are they close to getting 550 wins soon?

·
25,427 Posts
True Adrian-but the rest of the world doesn't get to see top flight tennis like they used too when the women had 200 events rather than 55 or so today. And while it WAS rare that all the top ten got together for one event, you often had the same tough field week in week out til the circuit ended. They could get away with it because the surfaces(clay and grass) were kinder on the bodies.

Wonderful spots like all the Caribbean and South American "sun circuit" tournaments are now forgotten despite having fields that today would equal to any tier 2.

·
Banned
5,664 Posts
Martina H has just gotten win 451, which is amazing in such a short career, by the way she has only played 542 matches for that :)

40 titles too :)

·
Banned
5,664 Posts
And for those interested, the Life and times of Martina Navratilova is being played out in the blast from the past forum :)

·
Plainclothes Division
6,350 Posts
Here are the numbers for some retired players:
Goolagong- 695
Sabatini- 632
Shriver- 623
Garrison- 588
Turnbull- 577
Novotna- 569
Mandlikova- 567

Here are the Open Era Only numbers for some:
Wade- 839
King- 695
Court- 593
Casals- 528
All of them are obviously higher.

Damn, Evonne and Zina couldn't stick around for a few more tourneys to reach the next plateau? (Apparently, one knew how close they were.)

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, Brian.

hmm. different numbers than tennis corner? I guess different ways of keeping the stat.
That's only in Open era? Wow. Wade and King must have a lot.

Martina Hingis is sure to climb high on that list, if she stays healthy, probably up into four digits if she plays for more than another decade.

I do know Monica has the best winning percentage among any active player (at least who's played more than a few matches).

·
25,427 Posts
Welcome back Sir Stewart:)

Mishar-all the web sites(and I include the WTA and IFT)are incomplete before 1980. Even the results from the early 80's miss what would now be tier 4 or 5 events. The day when we have reliable tennis stats will be heaven indeed!:)

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
YEAH WELL DONE MONICA!:D:D:D!

:bounce: :bounce:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Some stats from the ITF database:

Graf: 896 / 109
Hingis: 455 / 90
Davenport: 482 / 138
Navratilova: 1270 / 149
Evert: 904 / 119
Seles: 557 / 108
Novotna: 533 / 214

Seles seems to have already 550 wins.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Some results of the current top 10:

Venus: 234 / 59
Serena: 147 / 36
Clijsters: 115 / 48
Henin: 100 / 41 :D
Mauresmo: 137 / 72
Capriati: 307 / 128
Dokic: 105 / 58

Juju got her 100th win today!!

·
Plainclothes Division
6,350 Posts
Good to be back, BH Rollo.

Tennis Corner takes its numbers from the ITF database, which doesn't include qualifying and challenger results. However, it does count Hopman Cup, which isn't included in WTA official win totals.

What's worse is the tennis media. They count certain results for some players, but not others. For example, when Hingis opened the '97 season with a 37-match winning streak (tying her with the original Martina on the season-opening streak list), the media were quick to try to tack on her 3 Hopman Cup wins to try to put her ahead of Navratilova. Yet they didn't add Rubin's 4 Hopman Cup singles wins in '97 to her total. (*grind*)

It may very well fall upon us (the fans) to compile a working total, with various distinctions for points-generating events, Fed Cup, and other events.

·
Registered
152,750 Posts
Just a quick question... had Coetzer won her 500th match yet? I can't be bothered working it out!

·
25,427 Posts
Brian-If we can find someone to do the html and put up a website, between a group of us I bet we can come up with as "complete" a database as there could be. It might take a year or so-but it would be SO worth it. Then us 'stat-heads" could have real fun.

·
Plainclothes Division
6,350 Posts
I can do a good bit with HTML. But I haven't worked with any database stuff (such as SQL, which free sites don't allow anyway).

As for Coetzer, just glancing at my own tracking sheets, which were up through last year's New Haven tourney, she already had 505. So just add everything since New Haven to that. (Should be closing in on 550.)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts