Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This tourney is really a drag without Venus, Serena and Seles, and this is not just because I am fans of theirs. The life seems to be sapped out of the US Open. There weren't any people at Henin's match today on Arthur Ashe which is crazy because she is quite possibly the best player left on the women's side. There isn't much to look forward to until maybe the semifinals besides the potential QF match between Clijsters and Mauresmo. Then the Kim/Lindsay potential SF could be a blowout with how Kim has played LD lately. Henin/Cappy could be good, but it's just not that interesting. It doesn't feel like a Grand Slam.

·
Snitch
16,148 Posts
Knizzle said:
This tourney is really a drag without Venus, Serena and Seles, and this is not just because I am fans of theirs. The life seems to be sapped out of the US Open. There weren't any people at Henin's match today on Arthur Ashe which is crazy because she is quite possibly the best player left on the women's side. There isn't much to look forward to until maybe the semifinals besides the potential QF match between Clijsters and Mauresmo. Then the Kim/Lindsay potential SF could be a blowout with how Kim has played LD lately. Henin/Cappy could be good, but it's just not that interesting. It doesn't feel like a Grand Slam.

:sad: :tape:

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jbone_0307 said:
Yeah of course. But they will be back and maybe its a blessing in disguise.
I'm speaking from a spectators point of view, not because they missed a chance to win a slam.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Yes things would have been more exciting with three of the best players in the world but they are not there so lets just make lemonade out of lemons as grandma used to say.

of course if your allergic to lemons that doesnt really help. :lol:

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Knizzle said:
I'm speaking from a spectators point of view, not because they missed a chance to win a slam.

I know thats what im speaking of. Maybe the people of the tournament and the US Open, itself will find out how important the williams sisters are to the game, popularity, and attendance. I guess they would appreciate actually seeing some good tennis and putting on a show!!

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cybelle Darkholme said:
Yes things would have been more exciting with three of the best players in the world but they are not there so lets just make lemonade out of lemons as grandma used to say.

of course if your allergic to lemons that doesnt really help. :lol:
I have been watching, I saw Henin and Capriati's matches, and what they showed of Sharapova, and Pisnik/Haynes. It just seems dead at the tennis center.

·
Don't mess with Texas!
5,727 Posts
YES! ME WANT MONI, VEE AND RENA. ;) I miss Monica so much it is not even funny. Maybe she is waiting for me to complete my website to come back. Geez... she is never going to be coming back then. ;)

·
Banned
327 Posts
Personally, I think the wide open draw is really exciting and capturing the fans interest.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Malin said:
It didn't seem dead during Pete's ceremony last night or Andy's match tonight
On the women's side moreso than the men. This IS a women's tennis board the last time I checked.

·
Registered
547 Posts
You said it seems dead at the Tennis center, which isn't only women's tennis it also includes men's. Women's ealry rounds are always boring and the crowds are sparse.

·
Banned
327 Posts
Malin said:
You said it seems dead at the Tennis center, which isn't only women's tennis it also includes men's. Women's ealry rounds are always boring and the crowds are sparse.

It's true. That stadium is way too HUGE. It was and will continue to be a giant mistake in the future.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Malin said:
Not so, the crowds aren't always sparse.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I agree with you, Knizzle. I miss all three of them. They are all uniquely exciting players. There will still be good and great matches on the women's side, but there's nobody like the three of them (as far as I'm concerned.)

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
yeah i'm missing them but i'm still intrerested in a lot of other players so i can live with it.

·
Premium Member
21,090 Posts
YES! I totally miss them! It's been ages since I've seen Monica, RG 2003 that was so long ago :sad:

And Venus & Serena :sad: It's weird not being able to cheer for them at a major.

However I am happy I can just sit back and watch the US Open with absolutely no nerves whatsoever, which allows me to take in all the tennis. :)

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
For the first time, I'm not getting up to watch the Slam. For the first time, I don't care if I miss a match or forget to set the VCR. It's just not the same. No Hingis, no Venus, no Serena, no Monica. Eh. This blows...big time.

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
I miss Monica :sad:.

Williams sisters I miss also but I don't think it makes the tournament less interesting at all. The winner is far from a far gone conclusion.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts