Tennis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at that Henin vs Kournikova 1r match and thought, 'the promoter must be sh*tting a brick'. 32 seeds was supposed to KEEP marquee players in tournaments.

If you're going to have this rediculous number of seeds, why not allow two at the promoter's discretion.
Honestly, I could care less if Anna is inthe tournament. But she sells tickets and a lot of them.
Promoters DO need her.

Another possiblity is a 'protected pool'. These would be unseeded players who basically were guaranteed NOT to get a seeded player in the first two rounds.
Third round, they are just another unseeded player, and could pull the #1 seed.

No matter what, the promoter is losing money on Anna vs Justine. Cause both of them are Marquee attractions.
You lose more money if Anna is gone, but Justine sells tickets too.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Volcana said:
I could care less if Anna is inthe tournament. But she sells tickets and a lot of them.
Promoters DO need her.

What a surprise, don't give a shit about Anna..

As for the promoters needing both of them??
Um the whole tournament is a sell out, both night and day sessions.. so you can only get ground passes now and if previous years are anything to go by, they sell far to many of them aswell..

Some people will be lucky to see a match on one of the show courts, unless you get there early and are willing to stay on the same court for the whole day.. (excluding centre court, as they are reserved seats)..

Oh BTW do you think Anna should show up??? You thought the Serena match in Sydney, was going to be so uncompetitive, so I guess the same will apply for this match, as Anna as not had the correct prepartion in your eyes.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
181,849 Posts
Slam rules are different from the Main Tour but I'm not sure they can do that. Only Steffi when she was ranked 90ish at Wimbledon 98 when she got seeded comes to mind but that could also be the "infamous" Wimbledon seeding committee.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Alright guys, let's play nice now. :angel:

By expanding the seeds, promoters had to know that they would run into trouble this year with Kournikova, especially since she is ranked so low. Plus given how competitive the WTA is these days, an upset of a top player, who is having a bad day, could potentially happen. Personally, I think these first round matches of two top players against each other is a tournament promoters dream!

I agree with ajayres that while Anna is a promoters dream, women's tennis is incredibly popular these days. Every tournament, with the possible exception of smaller tier iv and v events, usually sells out. A good example is my aunt in California tried to get tickets to this year's Acura a month before the tournament began and before anyone knew whether or not Anna would be able to play. She found out that the tournament had already sold out the month before!!! This tournament was sold out two months in advance!!! I think fans of the sport want to see good tennis and not just their favorite player.

I think your idea is interesting Volcana, but I think it is unfair to other players, who have worked hard for their ranking, that a promoter should be allowed to give a protected seeding to a player who has "marquee" value. Not only that it diminishes the sport by saying that promoters are only interested in making short term investments in one or two marquee matchups rather than a long term investment in the tournament as a whole. Plus, the "marquee" player in question would feel that it was her personality rather than her tennis that got her the seeding, which might hurt her level of play. I guess what I am trying to say is that protected seeding, I believe, will not benefit the sport or the players.

As for the Anna-Justine matchup, I think it will be a thrilling matchup. Anna usually gears up for big matches and she has the game to beat the top players when she is on. Anna really prepared for this season and while she had a let down in Auckland, she proved in her second round match against Serena that she is ready to fight for her wins. While Anna never has upset a seeded player in a slam (at least I don't think so?), I don't think it is fair to her to say that she is not capable of doing so. Tennis is not something that anyone can predict. Look @ Jennifer's run last year @ the Oz and FO or Venus's comeback in 2000! No one predicted these players would dominant the way they did. Anna could do it if she is truly committed.

On the other hand, Justine has a 2-0 lead over Anna and has vastly improved as a player since 2000 the last time these two have met up. When I looked @ her stats from 00 to 01, her improvement is amazing! She reached six finals last year (Gold Coast, Canberra, a grass court tournament before Wimbledon, Wimbledon, Filderstadt, Hawaii) and won three of them. She reached the semifinals of the French Open, the quarterfinals of New Haven, Canadian Open and Munich. This year, she made the finals of the Gold Coast and won the doubles title there and made the quarterfinals of the Adidas and made it to the semifinals there in doubles. I think Justine is definantly ready for the AO and is probably thrilled that she does not have to face Clijsters or Venus in the first round! I'm only kidding! Justine has played Anna twice and will not underestimate what Anna is capable of on the court.

Having said that, I think Justine will win in two very tight sets or even three tight sets. It will be an amazing match to watch.

BTW, Cat if you do read this post or this thread, I know that you will say that Anna's popularity will give her an edge, but Anna's matches always sell out and her popularity has not benefitted her in getting that first tournament victory yet. In fact, the pressure from the crowd may hurt her more than help her.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
apoet Anna has upset 5 seeded players in Grand Slam events..

96 - US open 14th seed barbara Paulus

97- Wimbledon upsetted Anke Huber (7th seed) and Iva Majoli (4th seed)

99 French Open - Patty schnyder (seeded 12th ??)

00 Wimbledon - Sandrine Testud (seeded 10th)

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
Steffi was also seeded(8 I believe) at the us open 98 while officially being ranked 38 or so, but she had an injury rank then.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
ajayares said:
apoet Anna has upset 5 seeded players in Grand Slam events..

96 - US open 14th seed barbara Paulus

97- Wimbledon upsetted Anke Huber (7th seed) and Iva Majoli (4th seed)

99 French Open - Patty schnyder (seeded 12th ??)

00 Wimbledon - Sandrine Testud (seeded 10th)
Thanks for the information. I was not aware of it. After reading your post, I remembered the Testud win @ Wimbledon. It was a great match. Unfortunately, Anna had something of a meltdown in her second round match and lost to Sidot. I think big emotional wins seem to take a lot out of her since the same thing happened to her in Auckland.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts