to alot of J-pop. Good pop songs; done by
honest/vulnarable artists who aren't perfect
and still eat at 7-11 or leave garbage in their
rooms. I really like it; it's a nice change from
the "I'm so perfect" attitude of Western
artists. In Japan; they know it's just a pop
song and won't mean anything in a year.
They've got an dedication to the pop song;yet
aren't thinking it's anything that special.

I really like the new Hamasaki Ayumi album
"I AM" , those weird dance songs by MOVE
and BoA.

Reactions: Veritas

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
I don't like J- Pop... cause I don't understand Japanese.

Besides, I think Ayumi Hamasaki (not Hamasaki Ayumi), doesn't have a great voice.

There are great singers from Japan and the US. I must admit that Singaporeans have bad taste in music. Not me though ;) Westlife?? YUCK! Ronan Keating?!! YUCK YUCK YUCK!!

·
Registered
11,903 Posts
I can't believe I didn't come across this thread earlier. :rolleyes:

I love J-Pop, because there's an interesting and unique element to it, unlike many Western music. :)

My fave artist is Kuraki Mai (or Mai Kuraki :rolleyes: ).
Some call her a Utada Hikaru rip-off, but I find their styles very different, and I feel she even has a smoother voice.

Greenout, I also have Ayu's "I Am" album.
I like "Daybreak" and "No More Words" from her non-single tracks.
I'm not a huge fan of hers though...

BTW, have you heard of Uehara Azumi? :confused:

·
Registered
11,903 Posts
Awesome, Mai-K's new single "Feel Fine!" is Number 1 this week on the Oricon charts, followed by Ayu's "Free & Easy". :bounce:

BTW, Greenout did you hear what happened to Yuuki Goto from EE Jump? :confused:

·
Registered
19,426 Posts
personally i like Hikaru Utada
Her 'first love', 'can u keep a secret' and 'travelling' are the best!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Hirai ken is the other singer u all should look out for..although he dun really look japanese:rolleyes: :rolleyes: but i must say he can sing R&B really well...hoping that Hikaru n he can have a duet sometime in future!!

·
Registered
11,903 Posts
I agree, Misia is a very good singer, although I'm not a huge fan of hers, neither am I of Namie.

The reason why Hirai Ken doesn't look Japanese, is because he's half Pakistani. ;)

Are Ai-Sachi twins? :confused:

Did you hear Seiko Matsuda's daughter (SAYAKA) will be debuting next month? :eek:

I really hope they televise the closing ceremony over here for the World Cup (even though I'm not a soccer fan), I want to see Mai perform. ;)

·
Registered
11,903 Posts
Thanks for the info regarding AI-SACHI. I had presumed they were twins becaused they looked so much alike in the PV for "Before Dawn".

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Hikaru does in the US market. The big difference between her and the others is that she's a fluent English speaker.

SAYAKA's debut single is coming out the same day as Hikaru's "Sakura Drops". Should be interesting to see the result.

BTW, is there any show in Japan which shows the full PVs of songs? The closest thing I could find while I was there was CDTV...

I really want to know how Kuraki Mai's "Feel Fine" PV is like.

·
Registered
11,903 Posts
Thanks for the pics. :D

I didn't realise Hikaru and Eriko got on so well. :eek:

I wonder if Hikaru would do the same thing for Kuraki Mai? ;)

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
Never heard it myself don't think i'd like it though!

·
Registered
11,903 Posts
BUMP :bounce:

ORICON SINGLES DAILY CHART 21/8/02

1. w-inds. - Because of you

2. Maki Goto - Yaruki IT'S EASY

3. Kiyoshi Hikawa - Hoshizora no Akiko

4. Chin~Para - Let it go!

5. Ayumi Hamasaki - H

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hey, is J-Pop (Japanese Pop, Barrie, get some instruction and open up your mind a little ! ;)) famous in the US ?

You all talk about some singers starting a carrier in the US (Utada Hiraku) ... here in France, it's tough to get Japanese CDs ...

why are they all so expensive ? It's around 40$ a CD ! Is music so expensive in Japan or is it export ?

Thanks for keeping this thread alive ... and if some of you could give me links to listen to some mp3 .. I've already heard a little bit Ayumi Hamazaki, and I thought it was nice .... I like that more than Brtiney !

·
Registered
11,903 Posts
Thanks for the links yakusoku! :wavey:

I really love the girls of Hello Project! :cool:
(eg. Morning Musume, Aya Matsuura, Miki Fujimoto, etc.) :hearts:

I'm trying to find a link to Miki's new 3rd single, "Romantic Ukare Mode".

·
Registered
547 Posts
Thanks for the links, Yakusoku, it's late for I'll have a look at thme tomorrow. Arigato ;) :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Really thanks for the links. :) I've been able to downlead them (well, I'm actually right now downloading the rest of the album of Eriko)

Wouldn't Eriko's music be more J-Rock than J-Pop ?

Why don't you like Ayumi (just curious, I don't really know her)

I VERY MUCH like last Hikki's title, Sakura Drops. I've loved it from first listeneing, even if I don't understand a word. :)

·
Registered
11,903 Posts
Yakusoku, do you like the other SPEED members Takako and Hitoe as well? I heard Hitoe's going to make a return to J-Pop soon. It seems though that Hiroko seems to be the most successful as a soloist.

Ayla, it's nice to know that someone has a very 'open' mind about music. Some people I know just can't get the hang of music if they don't understand it. ;)
J-Pop is simply Japanese music, as people generalise it.

I'm not a huge fan of Ayumi either. Probably because she's too big over there! :p

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Baby VOX!!!!!

Most of the Japanese J-Pop artist are sooooo cute....

·
Registered
547 Posts
danker, my pleasure :) As a French, I think we have to be open-minded (even if it's not always the case, sadly) : our market is dominated by English music and as you know, we don't speak english so well :p I mean, most French. So, since people (and especially the youngest ones who buy/listen to a lot of music) don't understand a single word, what is the difference is the language is Chinese, Japanese, English, German or Czech ? What we like first is the sound of the music.

I for one music is the first way to remove barriers between people. If you get translation of the songs, you'll find it they approximatively speak about the same things, wherever you are : love and difficulties to stay together, being cheating on, jealousy, respect of others ....

I wish I could access to all music from everywhere. I would like to know what is makign the hits in Seoul, Tokyo, Beijing, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Lima, Tegucigalpa, Oslo, Reykjavik !

Yeah, I understand about rejecting someone very popular ;) Honestly, Hikki's voice is really nice and she seems to be doing a great job in composing music. I know a store in Paris that sells Japanese CDs. I thin k I'm gonna get one of hers.

·
Registered
11,903 Posts
I have Hikki's "Distance" album and it's very good. :)
Her 1st album was "First Love" and her latest is "Deep River".

Another fave of mine is "Mai Kuraki". :D

1 - 20 of 343 Posts