Tennis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tennisfriend's lil'sis is there now and she plays really well! :lick:

Has any of u guys been there? Or now anyone who has?

·
Registered
456 Posts
My tennisfriend's lil'sis is there now and she plays really well! :lick:

Has any of u guys been there? Or now anyone who has?
I haven't. The only person I know that's been there from this board is the user "Paialii". I've seen pictures that she's posted on the boards and whatnot. There may be others, too.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know one from my club who went there. Her parents left Germany and went down there but they didn't have enough money so they came back. One thing she learned down there is the grunting. She sounds like Sharapova now and her game is similar to hers.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've been there several times, for the adults' training week.

It's an interesting place. There are juniors all over the place. First thing in the morning they're waiting for the bus to take them to school (mornings only, I think).

You're often going to walk by a court and see a pro player training, depending on the time of year. That's pretty neat.

For the adults program, you'll get Nick himself come by at some point during the week to give a "rah rah" speech. Mostly, he spends that time hawking his videos and trying to sell you stuff. He's the kind of speaker you can't take your eyes off of, though. You can see that he could be a positive inspiration to the kids.

They have Hart-Tru courts there in addition to hard, and that's where they put the grownups. It's not as big as you'd expect.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I actually went down there for a week to train back in the day with a bunch of juniors from my program. If I remember correctly the pros training there at that time were Kournikova, Haas and Malisse. When I was younger they had a Bollitierri/Chang Tennis Center up in MA where I grew up. I went to that program for a year or two. The pros they sent up from Bollitierris were such tools. If we didn't pick up the balls in an alloted amount of time they would line us up against the back stop and SERVE balls at our behinds. They seriously thought they were Gods gift...I would love to se where they are now...lol. If that happened today they totally would have been sued, and it's really wrong to do that to kids. I remember they were always preaching the typical Bollitieri mantra of taking the ball on the rise, lots of topspin etc. My parents eventually pulled me out because the really rich kids always seemed to be chosen for competition over the rest of us which was complete bs, the program eventually went belly up because of this. Funny enough my next coach who was a product of the academy back in the day when Courier, Agassi and Seles were ther really nurtured my game and I went on to play Div I tennis and eventually worked as a tennis pro for three years while getting my Masters. IMHO Nick's a great motivator....but he's more of a good "Car Salesman" /Business Man...that being said though he did help to change the way tennis was played....and got a great tan along the way.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
I went there and I have video footage of Maria Sharapova as a 12 year old hitting the practice courts. She even screamed back then. In fact it was a coach who told me that she was going to be good. I asked who she was because she was intense on the court.

You can go there and get lessons and a lunch.

Reactions: the cat and Emina.

·
Registered
29,542 Posts
I actually went down there for a week to train back in the day with a bunch of juniors from my program. If I remember correctly the pros training there at that time were Kournikova, Haas and Malisse. When I was younger they had a Bollitierri/Chang Tennis Center up in MA where I grew up. I went to that program for a year or two. The pros they sent up from Bollitierris were such tools. If we didn't pick up the balls in an alloted amount of time they would line us up against the back stop and SERVE balls at our behinds. They seriously thought they were Gods gift...I would love to se where they are now...lol. If that happened today they totally would have been sued, and it's really wrong to do that to kids. I remember they were always preaching the typical Bollitieri mantra of taking the ball on the rise, lots of topspin etc. My parents eventually pulled me out because the really rich kids always seemed to be chosen for competition over the rest of us which was complete bs, the program eventually went belly up because of this. Funny enough my next coach who was a product of the academy back in the day when Courier, Agassi and Seles were ther really nurtured my game and I went on to play Div I tennis and eventually worked as a tennis pro for three years while getting my Masters. IMHO Nick's a great motivator....but he's more of a good "Car Salesman" /Business Man...that being said though he did help to change the way tennis was played....and got a great tan along the way.
lool haha

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
ive been to bolletieris, evert academy, and saddlebrook. personally, saddlebrook was my favorite (great/tough training in a resort training, plus all grand slam surfaces) also saw capriati, henin, and hingis while i was at saddlebrook (lounged next to stephen capriati by the big pool).

·
Banned
15,895 Posts
ive been to bolletieris, evert academy, and saddlebrook. personally, saddlebrook was my favorite (great/tough training in a resort training, plus all grand slam surfaces) also saw capriati, henin, and hingis while i was at saddlebrook (lounged next to stephen capriati by the big pool).
... and Peng, right? :p

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
I went there and I have video footage of Maria Sharapova as a 12 year old hitting the practice courts. She even screamed back then. In fact it was a coach who told me that she was going to be good. I asked who she was because she was intense on the court.

You can go there and get lessons and a lunch.
:wavey: hey, there... i think a lot of maria fans would like to see that video !
:drool:

thx

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
i went to the academia sanchez-casal, but not to train just to look around a bit. i saw elena bovina training there and they also have all the surfaces of the GS. i also met emilio sanchez-vicario who basically is the boss over there.
so, a few weeks later i was watching davis cup and there he was on tv as the coach for spain lol.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I so want to ask about ETA, but I don't want to start a new thread or hi-jack this one...oh, well. :devil: :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts