Tennis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
30,466 Posts
Yeah, i saw the ad, 'she wouldn't be there if she wasn't pretty'. Martina wasn't on it, was she? Sorry, one-track mind!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
That's one of the main reasons why I didn't want to watch this show. I knew they'd just be dissing Anna based on the ads for it. I can't believe how irresponsible Today Tonight was. Don't they realize that television has a big influence on a lot of the way some people think? They potentially encouraged a lot of people to dislike an innocent tennis player based on their own opinions.

Was the segment in any way sympathetic towards Anna? Or was it totally against her to the point where she was portrayed as some evil villainess?

·
***** Emeritus
42,423 Posts
I have no idea what show this is about, but if they feel that way, why don't they just don't show anything about her.... The hypocrisy :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was the segment in any way sympathetic towards Anna? Or was it totally against her to the point where she was portrayed as some evil villainess?
It was SO bad. They kept saying she hasn't won anything, she's only there cos of her looks, and if she wasn't so beautiful she wouldn't be there.
How can you get into the top ten by relying on looks alone? Thats my question to them.
And then they were saying how she CAN'T win it. Well, Anna'll show them

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
I disagree that the story was as bad as its being reported in this thread!!!

basically, the gist of the story was that Anna gets treated better than any other player does, and they questioned whether she deserved it based on performance - rightly so.

I mean, one tournament official was the one quoted as saying that if Anna wasnt 'Anna' she wouldnt have received a wildcard to play in the open!!!

If it was some other 60something ranked player who asked for a wildcard, the answer would have been NO!!!

The story was realistic, and fair... A bit cliche'd and like "tell us something we dont know already' but it was not out of line in anything it reported....just a bit of old news...

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
I do think Anna will get wildcards that other players won't ONLY because she has the desired look which sells tickets. But really this has been the way of the world since whenever and yes it isn't fair. But when your dealing with money/dollars and sex then that is what will win out in the end.

Anna is a good player but like I said before she's not the only ranked player that is THAT good. What she needs to do is get humble with a great coach and let him/her teach her and she must listen. Anna and Alla wish to do things their way and look at em. Anna really needs to hire a coach and she MUST LET them coach her... I think Anna is a hothead when someone tells her what to do. (imho It's from their Russian background) Alla needs to step off and let Anna mature on her own and make her own decisions at times. Really like I always said Anna has the game but not the plan. She has shown glimpses od solid tennis but she would do well with a good solid coach, one who can enhance her strokes and shot selection and most of all those nasty MENTAL PRESSURE SITUATIONS. :)

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
I mean, one tournament official was the one quoted as saying that if Anna wasnt 'Anna' she wouldnt have received a wildcard to play in the open!!!
if that's what said in that show, then it's obviosly damn stupid show. Before airing they should have checked that Anna didn't need AND get any wc to play at AO. I wonder who the producer is... I guess, some lonely poor ugly thing that never get any... I mean sex.:eek: :mad:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
The segment may have reported things that WE already knew, but there are a lot of people out there who are very stupid when it comes to sports, marketing, and the influence of television. To basically say that someone wouldn't be where she is without her looks is denigrating to the player. If it had been about athletes in general, maybe the story would've had a point to it, but it seems to only be a phenomenon associated with Anna Kournikova.

·
***** Emeritus
42,423 Posts
What bothers me about these Anna reports is the hypocrisy. This morning in a Belgian newspaper (De Metro, K and Maeike ;) ), Anna's picture was on the first page after her defeat against Justine (yep Anna instead of Justine in a Belgian newspaper :( ) and there was some text aside of it that said something like "Anna whose looks were, like most of the time, better than her shots". Well if your opinion's that way, than don't give her the attention. Ridicule her on the one hand, but trying to sell (well okay, this newspaper's for free, but still ;)) more copies by putting her on the cover on the other hand....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts