Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just watching that epic game she played against Sharapova at Miami 2006 when she saved like 9 match points at 6-3 5-1/5-2/5-3/5-4..

Any news on her? :sad: She has so much potential, it's sad. Injuries! :fiery:

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
She has or may have a form of arthiritis of the back I believe. The arthiritis causes eventual fusion of the spine.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
i hope it doesn't come to the spine fusion thing mentioned above. I like Tati. She's sort of a demonstration of how to have the Kournikova career where a title is actually possible.

I reall hope we see her playing again one day

·
Registered
465 Posts
i hope it doesn't come to the spine fusion thing mentioned above. I like Tati. She's sort of a demonstration of how to have the Kournikova career where a title is actually possible.

I reall hope we see her playing again one day

In all fairness Kournikova's career was much more glamorous, illustrious, and in a much tougher era when the Williams, Graf, Seles, Hingis, Capriati, etc were all playing at their best or close to it. And Kournikova would not have been caught dead at Portoroz.

On that note, I hope she comes back or at least let's us know whether or not she plans to.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
And Kournikova would not have been caught dead at Portoroz.
Tier III Strasbourg, Tier III Luxembourg, Tier IV Auckland, Tier IV Sarasota, Tier IV Shanghai, minor league Sea Island, and Charlottesville, sure. Kournikova played all of those.

But oh my God not Portoroz.

·
Registered
24,259 Posts
Tier III Strasbourg, Tier III Luxembourg, Tier IV Auckland, Tier IV Sarasota, Tier IV Shanghai, minor league Sea Island, and Charlottesville, sure. Kournikova played all of those.

But oh my God not Portoroz.
:haha: Yeah Kournikova definitely played her share of the lower tiers to try to snag that title. How many did she lose to Smashnova in?

I couldn't blame anybody for playing the Sea Island ITF. It's at quite literally the nicest resort in the country.

And anyway, it's so hard to judge Anna. Even when she played these little tournaments, she was mobbed, distracted, scrutinized.

·
Registered
29,542 Posts
In all fairness Kournikova's career was much more glamorous, illustrious, and in a much tougher era when the Williams, Graf, Seles, Hingis, Capriati, etc were all playing at their best or close to it. And Kournikova would not have been caught dead at Portoroz.

On that note, I hope she comes back or at least let's us know whether or not she plans to.
Lol, she only played there after she lost in the 1r of USO....

·
Registered
8,682 Posts
this is actually not fair for Kournikova, as her percentage of attending tier 3 and 4 was really really low, i believe one of the lowest for players who never reached top 5

·
nothing else compares
19,534 Posts
this is actually not fair for Kournikova, as her percentage of attending tier 3 and 4 was really really low, i believe one of the lowest for players who never reached top 5
...and the same goes for Tati who only ever played two Tier IV events, winning one and making the semi's of the other.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
both tended to stay away from low tier tournaments. Most of the tournies mentioned that Ana played in were during the later stages of her career.

·
Registered
29,563 Posts
She was training with Glenn Schaap in Belgium in December.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts