Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing some calculation the 40 some point gap that existed between Hingis and Daniela DISSAPEARED because Daniela reached the Quarter by beating Schett.

Now I think they are close, VERY close IF Hingis does reach the semis, I think Daniela will have to also or at least the QF which she did.

Anyone else have the same calculations, or read an article?

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
If Hingis wins her QF against Dementieva (no guarantee whatsoever):

Hantuchova 2469.75
Hingis 2395.00

So Hantuchova will be Top 10 next week unless Hingis goes a round farther, if not more.

Given that Hantuchova will play Stevenson in the SF and Hingis will have to go through Dementieva and then probably Henin to get to the SF...I think Daniela has a good shot.

If Martina does beat Elena and Justine, though, she'll get more bonus points so it could be beneficial -- if she is in winning form, of course.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hurley said:
As of right now:

D. HANTUCHOVA 2469.75
M. HINGIS 2348.00

EXCELENT!!! Did you calculate this, or is it on a site? :wavey: Thanks!

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
Martina did extremely well in the beginning of the year: 14-1? It would have been interesting to see how the year would have gone if she had stayed healthy.

But Daniela is not only close to the Top 10...she is reasonably close to even the Top 5.

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
As of this minute:

S. WILLIAMS 6099.00

V. WILLIAMS 4844.00

J. CAPRIATI 3706.00

A. MAURESMO 3020.00

J. DOKIC 2800.00

M. SELES 2796.00
J. HENIN 2774.00

K. CLIJSTERS 2677.00
L. DAVENPORT 2582.00
D. HANTUCHOVA 2469.75
M. HINGIS 2348.00

A. MYSKINA 1845.00

That is with all points off so players in bold can still pick up points.

E

·
0 Posts
Oh no... Hingis stay in the top ten at least!!!!!!! :sad: Now I'm worried!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sad: :fiery:

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
We will probably see Martina out of the Top Ten for good.

I'm a huge fan but after the start of next year she'll be lucky to be #14 and I just don't know if she'll even bother after that.

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
I think Martina understands the rankings enough to know that falling is normal when you missed months and when you come back and need time to work on your fitness and game. I think she will have opportunities next summer to pick up some points. :D

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
She does have opportunities but I just don't know if she's willing to put in the effort to improve. There are a ton of girls coming up who play faster than she does and she'll need to change things in order to maintain dominance over them. And THEN she can start worrying about picking up wins over the big guns in big tournaments.

·
Registered
9,847 Posts
Well, i think if martina can have some good performances at the end of this year....maybe like QF at Filderstadt and Zurich, SF at Linz, QF at Chase, stuff like that....then she will gain some pts atleast which will help her.

Also, martina always does well in Sydney, and with the extra 2 months to prepare she should be a lot fitter...so a SF of both Sydney and even Aus Open isn't out of the question i think - ofcourse depending on her draw.

After Tokyo, she really doesn't have many more points to defend. SF at Scottsdale, F Indian Wells, QF Miami and SF Hamburg....that's all

So she will realise that she is in a good position to gain points.

·
Premium Member
181,826 Posts
After that she may well be ranked in the 20's :eek:

meaning her fragile body will have to cope without byes
and i don't think she's capable of 3 let alone 5 good matches in a week.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Congrats Dani... and welcome in top 10, I'm sure you'll stay there for a while - put pleazzzzzz remain behind the next Wn°1 Amelie-melo :)

·
Premium Member
181,826 Posts
congrats Daniela :)
she's the 80th person to be ranked in top 10 since rankings were formed

long may she stay there :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts