Tennis Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Chionophile
40,272 Posts
Regla downs Anjelica (again) and talks about exclusive photoshoot for Vogue!

Regla Torres d. Anjelica de la Courtiere 6-4 3-6 7-6

Interview

(Questions for Ms. Torres)

Q: Firstly, congratulations. What are you feeling right now?
A: Thank you! What am I feeling? Only one word - RELIEVED.

Q: How did you approach this match and this tournament?
A: Well, I had to play 2 qualifying matches just to get to this stage, so it was tough. But I have a tough head and I came here thinking "I don't want to lose".

Q: You had very little rest between last week, when you won Paris and your first qualifying match, didn't you?
A: Yes (laughs), it was practically off the plane and onto the tennis court. The organisers were very generous to give me a day off. So I was thankful.

Q: Before we start talking about today's match, how did you feel about beating Ana-Maria Herrera?
A: Well, she's a great player. I'm a fan, but I didn't know how to approach that match so I just went out there and hit. She's been in a slump so I think her confidence has been low and that was a factor in the match but when she's on, she's very dangerous.

Q: And now today. Did you apprach this match differently seeing as you played and beat her just two weeks ago?
A: No, not really. I just go out and play my own tennis

Q: While we're on the topic of Anjelica de la Courtiere she made some remarks last week didn't she, which you and fellow FWTT pro Bryanne Applegate responded strongly to. Could you explain us that?
A: (Laughs) Look it was really nothing. But she said something along the lines of "The clay season is MINE." which I guess is really funny in the context of today.

Q: Did that give you motivation?
A: Sure it did. But you know, I'm not an arrogant enough person as to say something like that. I recognize and acknowledge all the great players on FWTT (past and present) and I wouldn't say anything like that. I mean Anjelica is a great player and she's won the French Open and has been a finalist but yeah saying you own a surface is very cocky. I mean I guess today is one day where she doesn't own clay (Laughs).

Q: Indeed! Now Regla you next face Larissa Liashenko. What are your thoughts?
A: It's going to be tough. Larissa is the reigning French Open champ. She's going to be very tough. I'm just going to play my game and hope it turns out well for me.

Q: Did the photoshoot for Vogue go well? How are you balancing your film career and all that fame with your tennis career?
A: I think you guys have a sneak preview of the shoot? [Yes] Oh yeah, that's going to be the cover. I'm loving it and soaking up every moment of it. But right now, I'm on a winning streak in tennis and I'm on cloud 9. This is my passion and this is what I do best. I'm just glad I'm out there playing tennis again.

·
Chionophile
40,272 Posts
Regla still smiling

Ruflina Taliamonokos defeated Regla Torres in the finals of Bogota 2-6 6-4 6-4. The match was a high quality match especially in the last two sets with Taliamonosoko edging out both. The pair hugged at the net and later exchanged kind words at the victory ceremony. Regla Torres, "I'm so happy for Ruflina, I know what it's like to go for a long time without reaching tournament finals and not winning tournaments. I ended that last week in Paris, and I know exactly what Ruflina's feeling right now. Congratulations to you Ruflina. You played a great match, you're going to have a terrific year." Torres, now leaves Colombia, to go to Mexico, where she hopes she can do one match better. She has been twice a finalist in the Acapulco tournament.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.