Tennis Forum banner
2681 - 2700 of 2736 Posts

·
Premium Member
66,726 Posts
I'm sure she would have won this today if she had some more matches before. But without any matches you can't even win against Waltert :cautious:
Well, Waltert just defeated Eala, too, today.
She has been in great shape all of 2021

·
Admin
67,973 Posts
Fact is that she is unable to perform on her best level as long as she barely plays tournaments but seems like that won't change for now.
She already withdrew from the ITF in Zagreb a few days ago as well which takes place at the end of April, so only option left to play over the upcoming weeks would be Stuttgart, where she currently would be like ALT 12 or 13 or something for Q (if she is on the list at all)

We might get some more info about Lottner during the Stuttgart week at least, they always talk a lot about German tennis there with Rittner and Co, even if Toni herself won't be there.

But yeah, a retirement wouldn't surprise me at this point, her ranking is still quite good for now but that will change as well and then I am curious if she continues at all, an injury cant be the reason as well otherwise she would have made a longer break and surely apply for a PR.

·
Registered
36,656 Posts
WTA Stuttgart Q

(3)Y.Wang v Lukas
Eikeri v (11)Lottner

Hope she can win her first round at least. Eikeri didn't have any impressive results this season. Wang and Lukas have also been struggling lately.

·
Admin
67,973 Posts
Not a bad draw at all for part time player Toni
Eikeri/Lukas should be beatable for sure and Wang did not win many matches lately (especially not on clay), so maybe she can take that chance and quality but we will see how it goes, Toni is far from her best herself obviously...

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Antonia loses the 2nd set, 6-3 with sloppy tennis. Her opponent is merely basic, but a solid player, not prone to mistakes. How it unfolds in the 3rd is up in the air, but I'll say it's up to Antonia to execute her game, for she's the better talent of the two.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Well.....after playing some proficient tennis for a set and the beginning of the 2nd set, Antonia went south thereafter. She self-whipped into a defeat with bad execution inside the service line, easy sitters hit wide beyond the court too numerous to mention. She was up 2-1 in the 3rd after a break, but returned the break to her opponent. Thereafter, it was just Eikeri merely playing basic tennis and allowed Antonia to hit makeable balls out by wide margins to take herself out of the match. Another instance of self-whipping......

·
Registered
40,141 Posts
That was disappointing to say the least. Antonia has played way too few tournaments since Covid-19. At least she seems to be in a better physical condition.

·
Admin
67,973 Posts
well, needs to beat Eikeri and Moratelli to quality for a PREMIER and fails, that's as disappointing and weak as it can be, good day for the Germans in general but that's just bad from Lottner, it's understandable and clear that she cant be at her best as she barely played lately but still should be good enough to beat those players, at this point it really does not look too good for her.
Anyway, she is on the EL for some ITFs again, so let's hope that she does not withdraw again and plays regularly from now on again

·
Registered
19,192 Posts
Honestly, I don't see Lottner become anything big anymore. She is not improving for years, still the same weaknesses. Here and there a top 100 victory if she is lucky enough to hit the lines, but that's it. Zero progress over a couple of years. I can't see how she could make it to the top 100. She needs to go for the lines and can't go for bigger targets and set up points more patiently, she simply does not have the tools for that.

So I would argue the fact, she is a wasted talent. I think, many people simply overestimated her talent at the beginning, assuming she will be able to eliminate some of her weaknesses. So far that is not the case.

Speaking of talent: Yes, she has the talent to hit balls with an enormous speed and she can increase the speed of balls a lot. But that is not enough to make a good tennis player. She lacks other qualities of this sport, which is foot speed, touch and a good understanding what to do in which situation. And some people don't develop these qualities, no matter how hard they try. And these qualities are also talents which Lottner obviously not has. That is what I mean when I say she may not be as talented as many people (including me) thought.

·
Admin
67,973 Posts
and nothing new when it comes to her schedule as well...

• was on the EL for Prague this week but did not appear in the draw
  • late withdrawal from the W60 in Spain next week
  • already withdrew from W25 in Spain afterwards also

maybe she randomly appears in the Q-Draw of Belgrade/Parma but very strange once again and its clear that she won't get any better as long as she barely plays (for unknown reasons still)

·
Registered
40,141 Posts
As nothing is pointing to an injury right now, it's quickly getting to the point where I say: Probably consider focusing on something else in your life than tennis, Antonia.

·
Registered
661 Posts
She is still on the EL for the French Open qualifying based on her April 19th ranking (#213.) Her live ranking as of April 26th is down to #250.

·
Admin
67,973 Posts
Roland Garros

Kalinskaya v Lottner
Arconada v Arruabarrena
Zhao v Savinykh
Janicijevic v Kuzmova

Short trip to Paris, I guess, good luck anyway....

2681 - 2700 of 2736 Posts