Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I was reading the God thread and thought it would be good to let you read my thoughts. I am a pastor's son so yes I do believe in God. He has helped and he works in strange ways but he always look out for us.

Answer to Kisha about wars,starvation,etc?

These things are a consequence of sin God wanted humans to be fine but humans are naturally selfish and egoistic so if anything happens is because of Man God guides us but only as much as we let him guide us. After that it's all up to us and really we run our lives if we turn away from him.

to Josh: God created Humans to his image and if things are unperfect is because Adam in paradise ate the forbidden fruit and let sin enter the world

God has always been around Although it is impossible for the Human Mind to understand this

To Beige: Evil, Bad was nt learned in the bible when sin entered the world it came as a whole package sins or eviel were not acquired

To Veryborednow

Leaders example POpe's are the ones that pervert religion and not God

I believe some people do not believe in God and oh man I am risking it out on here but this is just my belef and I don't want to offend anyone with this but I think some people don't like God because it is contrary to the lives they live

But I love you all and So does God If you all have any questions please feel free to ask me.:)

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
thanks honey.

i hope i didnt offend you with all that ranting i did. Sorry if i did.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Baloney.

God is good, evil, everything all combined. GOD IS in everything!!

The whole deal about Adam eating the forbidden fruit is crap imo.

I jsut cannot believe any teaching, that teaches that a child born into this world, is BORN INTO SIN??

How can you be sinful before youve breathed a breath of life??

You cant.

Its just another form of mind control, to control the masses using fear as the main tool - fear of going to hell.

Anyone living in fear of god, of doing the 'wrong' thing, of going to hell etc, should all read 1 book - COnversations With God.

Now thats a book worth reading.

God is unconditional love - not some male being up in the sky that punishes the people he supposedly loves by sending them to eternal dammnation for not living up to the expecations placed on them.

Dont fear god, dont fear going to hell, its all just a made up trap by men who wanted to control the masses.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
I'll try and answer Kisha's questions about war, deat, starvation etc...

The reason why all the terrible things happen on earth, are not ebcause God is 'punishing' us, God isnt even the cause!!

God created humanity, so that God could know itself through experience...

For example, you can say you are a kind person. But until you do a KIND ACT, you dont know how it FEELS to be kind, you need to EXPEREINCE being kidn in order to know what it feels like.

And that is why God created humans - to expereince LIFE through us.

Now, the greatest gift god gave to humanity was.... FREEWILL - to do as we please, to make our own choices.

So when you ask why does GOD let wars happen?? The answer is he doesnt!! He is merely letting humans have what we want!!!

Why are so many children dying of starvation??? Because WE (us HUMANS!!!) let it happen!!!

We have the means, and the resources to FEED all the world hungry, IF WE CHOOSE TO!!!

If half the worlds annual expenditure on defense, military etc was devoted to feeding the hungry, world hunger would be eliminated.

But we choose, instead, to use billions of dollars on developing new and better ways of killing each other!!!

So, you see, its not GODS doing, it is HUMANS excercsing the FREEWILL god gave us, that causes all these things...

·
45,913 Posts
Josh, we know what he'll say about that, don't we?

You didn't answer any questions. You just spouted the normal bible story. Personally, I don't feel that your being the son of a preacher gives you the right to answer questions for God.

People who don't believe in God don't believe in God. It has nothing to do with their lifestyles. If it was like that, Christians would all become atheists.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Selesfan1, I wanted to firstly commend you for being brave enough to share your beliefs, whether we agree with them or not. I know it is not very popular to say that you believe in God or religion. My dad says that you can't pick and choose what parts of God's word you will go with, because there is no virtue in doing things that you like or want.

However, I respectfully disagree with you. I believe in the concept of God, but I think that organised religion is extremely distructive. It does not encourage lateral thinking or curiosity, it is judgmental, and is used time and time again to excuse evil. I also believe that religion discourages the things that it is meant to stand for: compassion, understanding, and tolerance.

Each religion has its own agenda, and uses fear to mind control (as Czechfan put it) its followers to further its own agenda.

One prime example is here in Australia, our Govenor General, the highest office that can be held in Australia is an ex- Arch Bishop (or something liek that). It came outr that he was aware of a priest who molested over 20 young girls, but did not act on it, or even offer the families any apology or spiritual help due to legal and insurance considerations. These were his own words!

I think that religion does offer a sense of comfort and belonging to certain people, and I recognise that there is great charity work done by good people in these religions, and of course these are the greeat aspects, but I think that as a concept religion generally has a negative effect on people (as outlined above)

I think the best religion to have is to treat people the way that you would want to be treated.....

But as I say, I admire your bravery in coming out and saying what you said.:)

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,467 Posts
Just wanted to say that I agree with pretty much everything Czechfan said :) Very well put, and I feel the same.

·
Tart with a Heart
15,747 Posts
selesfan1 said:
I think some people don't like God because it is contrary to the lives they live
hi selesfan; firstly, this is not meant as a diatribe against you, I welcome your opinions and and pleased that you express them. I just thought that was an interesting quote.

It´s not that I dont like God, its just that I simply dont believe. (A few years studying science is quite good for that).
When i die the same thing will happen to me that will happen to every other organism on earth; (unless people think mushrooms and jellyfish go to Heaven too, but I think those thoughts are reserved solely for us superior humans) I will cease to exist. The cells that make up my body will decay and I will rot. If I do it in the right place, I might enrich the earth with some nutrients and give life to something else, a hungry earth worm perhaps. And that´s it.
If I had wanted to believe, as a gay man, I wouldn´t have found any religion particularly welcoming (spare a second to think of homosexuals who are deeply religious - not an easy life), which is ironic, because another thing that I am is proud. Proud that the day I die I can look back over my life and say I have never been an intolerant person, treated anyone badly, turned away when someone neded help, and so on.
So if I have been wrong all these years and I meet my maker, and he tells me I´ll burn in hell for being gay, frankly i´d rather, as thats how "he" made me, and anyway I´d rather spend eternity there with other people like myself - open minded, free thinking, good people.

But it wont happen, so i´ll just carry on living my life the best way I can, being the best person I can, and not waste half of it worrying about what ifs!

·
Registered
34,742 Posts
Well said, Jon.
I too believe in science too much to believe in God.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
selesfan1:

A question for you. Why do you believe Christianity to be true?

What evidence do you have that this 2000 year old mystery cult is any more true than its contemporary cults?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well as far as homosexuality goes I believe it is wrong but God loves the sinner but he doesn't like the sin. This maybe a bad example but let's say you have a friend who smokes and you hate that he does it and you know it's bad for his/her health nut you still love the person and you'll be there for that person when they need you it is similar how God is. I am going to try to find an article about homosexuality from an article in a magazine a while back that was really good.I believe that it is wrong simply because of the fact that there was in the beginning 1 Man and 1 woman not adam and adam or eve and eve.I mean also the gay lifestyle is soooo un appealing to me i mean I don't know much about it but from what I know it isn't healthy like with backrooms and all that. I mean Czechfan pretty much said the exact same thing I did but he got compliments. I am not saying because I am a pastors son that that is my license to correct all of you and that i am the indicated person to deal with this subject no ,no , no that is not it I just felt that I maybe could provide a different perspective. I also have a question to those who are not religious because of past experiences have you tried a different religion?I mean why did Scotso attack me Imean I feel bad for that but I mean more about the homosexuality sure there is insemination adoption etc. But the only naturalway is woman-man without the technology that is all there would be so really I don't know much about homosexuality but I would like to know more about the lifestyle. So I hope I answered your questions.

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,467 Posts
To me Czechfan's overall point summed it up well - "God", is unconditional love. Now, if a man and a woman, or two men, or two women happen to have unconditional love for eachother, then what difference should it make? How can loving someone be sinful, if that is what god is supposed to represent?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Well, while I'll not comment on the belief in God, I think some people who don't believe are pretty intolerant too. Intolerance in my opinion is more of a human ( natural) trait, than a religious one. Thanx.

·
Keeper of Venus & Serena,
27,447 Posts
selesfan1, I'm not talking about the lifestyle.

A monogomous relationship between 2 people that love each other.....how do you feel about that? And have your issues about homosexuality (I know you said you have had some before) been resolved?

Don't worry, I used to question God every night why I was gay and to change me, but eventually, I learned to love myself. I hope you can find the same :)

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
JonBcn

"It´s not that I dont like God, its just that I simply dont believe. (A few years studying science is quite good for that).
When i die the same thing will happen to me that will happen to every other organism on earth; (unless people think mushrooms and jellyfish go to Heaven too, but I think those thoughts are reserved solely for us superior humans) I will cease to exist. The cells that make up my body will decay and I will rot. If I do it in the right place, I might enrich the earth with some nutrients and give life to something else, a hungry earth worm perhaps. And that´s it."

--------> Exactly what I wanted to say, thanx ;) If only more people thought like you. Actually more like wake up from their delusions actually :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I am a Ulitarian Univerialist, I have difficulty with the whole God thing. Firstly the bible is highly vague, do the events it describes actually happen and also most of the things discussed are not based on first hand knowledge. Secondly my view on Religion is that it serves a purpose, it gives people something to live for, if the world didn't have it, why would people want to exist.

·
Tart with a Heart
15,747 Posts
selesfan1 said:
. I am going to try to find an article about homosexuality from an article in a magazine a while back that was really good.I believe that it is wrong simply because of the fact that there was in the beginning 1 Man and 1 woman not adam and adam or eve and eve.I mean also the gay lifestyle is soooo un appealing to me i mean I don't know much about it but from what I know it isn't healthy like with backrooms and all that.
Oh well, I tried. Unfortunately now you´ve really pissed me off. As you keep saying, you dont know much about homosexuality, so let me tell you a few things. Firstly, it is perfectly natural. Let me assure I was born as homosexual as you were heterosexual. I never had any choice over this, was never ´corrupted´ or traumatised. Your God, if he exists, decided thats how I should be.

And before Adam and Eve, there was Monkey Adam and Monkey eve and all their friends too, so who knows about that...

To move on, I am supposing the "really good" magazine article you read was so enjoyable because it reinforced all the stereotypical ideas you already held? To say that homosexuality is unappealing because, for example, backrooms exist, is frankly pathetic. Is heterosexuality unappealing for you as well because brothels exist? I dont see you judging the other 95% of the worlds population for the seedy sex lives of a minority of them.

Of course such things as backrooms exist. The vast majority of gay people wouldnt dream of going into them, but for those who do, I would guess perhaps it has something to do with the difficulty of finding other likeminded individuals in a prejudiced society for a natural release.

The "gay lifestyle" as you call it, is - brace yourself - a myth. We live exactly the same lifes, do the same jobs, go to the same places, spend quiet evenings in with our partners etc, just like real people. There is only one thing we do differently.
Perhaps we are overfond of going out, or expressing ourselves or, tragically, wearing too much lycra; but more or less the same.
Here´s some more unappealing things that gay people seem to love that might offend you: tolerance, diversity, privacy, expression...mot of them probably not fully embraced by the religions of this world either.

My next question is, How can I be ´sinning´ when I was born this way?

I dont mean this to be personal, selesfan (I know you speak on behalf of a lot people, I just wanna redress the balance), and its not your fault that you have no concept of this, but there are people on this board struggling to come to terms with their sexuality, and I find comments like yours potentially damaging at a time when they should be given support and encouragement, not cheapened as perverts.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts