Tennis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alicia Molik has stepped out of next week's Roger's Cup, but plans to play the U.S. Open. The 13th-ranked Australian, who has been limited to just two matches in the past four months while suffering from a condition called vestibular neuronitis, which hinders her balance and depth perception and can cause dizziness, is seeking a wild card into the Pilot Pen, which begins on August 21st in New Haven as preparation for the Open.

The Australian Open quarterfinalist has been limited to just 23 matches this season due to her illness. She was sidelined for both Roland Garros and Wimbledon, but has recovered from the inner ear infection and is regaining her strength, according to her Octagon agent Lisa Chaffey. The 24-year-old Molik will fly from Melbourne to the United States next week in hopes of receiving a New Haven wild card.

"We are withdrawing her from Toronto today but she will leave in the middle of next week for the U.S.," Chaffey told the AAP. "She is going to play in the U.S. Open. She just wants a couple of days here in Melbourne to prepare and continue with her training schedule. Obviously we are very hopeful she will get a wildcard and play in New Haven but we won't know until probably next Thursday."

Since she lost to Maria Sharapova in the Doha final in February, Molik has been limited to just six matches, posting a 2-4 record in that span. Her last match was a 6-4, 6-2 setback to Laura Granville in Birmingham. In the aftermath of that match, Molik opted against playing until she had completely recovered from the inner ear infection.

Molik, who won three tournament titles in 2004 and started this season by capturing the Sydney championship, feels she has conquered the condition that prevented her from playing.

"She's definitely heading off and making this trip feeling as though she has her health under control," Chaffey told the AAP. "(But) she is not putting any great expectations on her results in tournaments over the next couple of weeks. She's obviously lacking matches, but how she's hitting the ball and her physical fitness, she is feeling really great. It's been a massive improvement in the past six weeks and she wouldn't be making this trip if she felt otherwise."

The U.S. Open begins on August 29th at the National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadow. In her six career U.S. Open appearances, Molik has yet to surpass the third round. Her best results in New York were third-round finishes in 2001 and 2003.

"She has realized in the past six weeks that obviously her health has been the most important thing," Chaffey told the AAP. "The fact she feels ready to come back and mentally she's really excited about it, obviously it's timely with the last Grand Slam of the year just around the corner."

http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=13587&bannerregion=

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
poor alicia :(

·
Registered
152,750 Posts
:D I hope she can get the WC< and I hope she'll do well at the USO - coz she has ALOT of points coming off soon!

·
Banned
25,017 Posts
Alicia is one of hte nicest players on tour...

hope she gets well soon.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
It's a shame she's pulling out of Toronto and her fitness is still a bit of a question mark but New Haven is getting more exciting.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
ok...what a fucking bad day today...first stosur lost, then bovina pulls out of toronto, then kuznetsova lost and now molik won't play toronto....i go and drown myself in the toilet now...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts