Tennis Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday, Aug/22/2003, 12:44 pm EST, a time all tennis fans on this board will remember for a long time. "Venus Williams won't be coming to the U.S. Open this year", as simply put by Tennis Week, as simply reported by our most recent poster, darla.

Devastating news to say the least!

A time to reflect and ponder what else the future holds. Sometimes, we feel in control in this life: we analyze, predict, argue, ... Little we know how irrelevant we are.

Venus, get well!
----------------
Serena, get well!
----------------
Let's not forget those who are still playing but struggling with persistent and aching injuries:
Capriati, Davenport, Mauresmo, Seles, and countless others.
----------------
Let's not forget Hingis who had to effectively retire at the tender age of 22.
----------------

TP - Out

Reactions: Paneru

·
Registered
16,898 Posts
This is sad news, TP. :sad: I hope all the players who pulled out of this years U.S. Open make a full recovery. And women's tennis is just starting to feel the loss of the Williams sisters. :( They are irreplacable. And the quality of the women's field is greatly diminished without them. And that cannot be disputed.

·
Banned
7,212 Posts
Or it might be best thing that has happened in past 5 decades...

Sure there is still two very strong players in the field (that can beat others 0 & o... well nearly), but in case they struggle. That can´t be too unexpected, they are not that experienced after all.

Then. We have whole new game in our hands ! :bounce:
This is fun, really looking forward to semifinals another :bounce:

·
Registered
882 Posts
But to be fair with the Williams sisters they play when they wanna play. No Tour gonna make them play 17 tournes and never have. So there is no way that Venus and Serena injuryes have come from overplaying. Davenport I fell sorry for her and Momo too, When have thoses two not had a year on the tour when some really bad injury has not hinderd them

·
Banned
7,212 Posts
And there is a rumour that new doping control methods are being used.... Hey I´m not picking on Venus, she is least likely to have used something

But it will/should effect mens draw in someway. Are we ready to get rid of cheaters or not ? (my guess 99% think that it is not a problem)

Sorry slightly off topic :(

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Williamses in pain, not an uplifting sight! Those who revel in that should be ashamed of themselves.

Granted, women's tennis must go on and will go on. We have more than a hundred additional talents out there ready to showcase their crafts.

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
gweeny said:
I am definetely curious about what the TV ratings will be like. My guess is that, the ratings will drop considerably. My interest is now so-so.
If an American is in the final, the ratings will be good, but nowhere near the ratings the sisters got unless it is a three set thriller. If the Belgians are in it, look for ratings worse than their French Open ratings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.