Tennis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides her 125-match clay-court winning streak, 13 years on the trot winning at least one GS singles title, getting to the semi-final of every GS entered 1971-83 and countless other records, is Chris Evert possibly the only player to have a winning head-to-head against Margaret Court in 1970? Could she be the only female player to have a winning head-to-head against someone in their Grand Slam year? I am sure Little Mo never had a losing H2H and cannot think of anyone the Grafster lost to more than she beat in 1988.

PS If you're a fan, what’s your favourite Chrissie moment? Mine is the US Open Semi-Final 1980 v Tracy Austin. Chris gains the upper hand in the final set and is sensing victory. Serving at 15-0, she looks thoughtfully over the court at Tracy, hardens her features, screws her face up until she almost has lazers firing out of her eye-sockets, draws back her wooden Wilson racket… and HAMMERS an ace down the centre line!

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Joyce Williams (doubles partner of the infamous Winnie Shaw) had a 1-0 record against Margaret Court in 1970 beating her in the semi-final at Hurlingham, UK.

·
Love the Legends of Tennis
4,464 Posts
Joyce Williams (doubles partner of the infamous Winnie Shaw) had a 1-0 record against Margaret Court in 1970 beating her in the semi-final at Hurlingham, UK.
That made me laugh. Esp as I have a video clip of Margaret playing Joyce at Wimbledon sometime and she had the style you would expect from a casual social player who spent more time doing dishes and housework. No offense intended. Her serve was little more than a glorified pat and certainly no weapon, just a way of getting the point started! That must have been the upset of the year/decade/century perhaps? :eek:

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Here's a new one:
Following the correction regarding Evonne's #1 ranking in 1976, Chris now ties with Martina as the player who most often won back the top spot: C & M got back on top 8 times each, having lost the #1 spot to Evonne, Tracy or each other.

Incidentally, I just got my 2008 WTA tour guide and the thing is still riddled with errors. They still say in Evonne's bio that she lost 4r at Wimbledon in 77, "Francois [sic] Durr-Browning is classed as a former open era grand slam champion and their table of all-time title leaders in the majors is full of inaccuracies.....grr

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a new one:
Following the correction regarding Evonne's #1 ranking in 1976, Chris now ties with Martina as the player who most often won back the top spot: C & M got back on top 8 times each, having lost the #1 spot to Evonne, Tracy or each other.
Which leads onto another record... not only toppling, but also "bitch-slapping" the previous holder of the #1 spot. Chris proceeded to beat Evonne Cawley 6-3 6-0 (1976 US Open final), Martina Navratilova 6-0 6-0 (1981 Amelia Island final) and Tracy Austin 6-0 6-0 (1982 Meadowlands Toyota semi-final).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts